No announcement yet.

Renny Harlin: Man, Myth, and Auteur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The optics line is great and what about Primes "One shall stand, one shall fall" Great freaking line that held weight in the cartoon despite what some may think, but nothing like that from Prime in the movies because there's no real weight to the rivalry.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

'Megatron...is that YOU?????'
      'HERE'S A HINT!'

BLAMMO

Seriously, why can't we have something THAT cool in the Bayformer films???
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
        The optics line is great and what about Primes "One shall stand, one shall fall" Great freaking line that held weight in the cartoon despite what some may think, but nothing like that from Prime in the movies because there's no real weight to the rivalry.
        Totally. I was actually gonna say before how telling it is that the only line of note like that in the entire trilogy - the one you very rightly mentioned - was the one they referenced from the '86 movie in Bay's first outing.

Originally posted by Matt View Post
        'Megatron...is that YOU?????'
        'HERE'S A HINT!'

BLAMMO

Seriously, why can't we have something THAT cool in the Bayformer films???
        Too much characterization?
        "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

I just loved that last bit at the end of Optimus' and Megatron's fight, where a wounded Optimus is about to get his head blown off by Megatron:

Megatron: I would've wiated an eternity for this! It's over, Prime.
          Optimus: NEVER! (Prime coldcocks Megatron, sending him over the edge of the battlement)

Yeah, cheesy animation, but, damn if it send a charge through me when I first saw it.

Comment

Dare...dare to keep all your dreams alive.
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

I felt more of those bumps in Megatron's fall to animated death than I did in the entire final battle in Dark of the Moon. Or the entire film, for that matter. Not even kidding.

And the way Hot Rod runs over to the grounded Prime after he's smoked his arch-rival? "Optimus?" Nelson Shin knew what was up.
              "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Honest question: When was the last time any of you watched the TF cartoon all the way through?
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Back in November or so, over on DERP. We had a watchalong.

Also, we've spent 2 fucking pages talking about nothing but Transformers in a thread about Renny Harlin. Let's get this train back on track, people.
                  Last edited by Matt; 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rherb View Post
                    Honest question: When was the last time any of you watched the TF cartoon all the way through?
                    A few months ago? Maybe turn of the year. I think I remember because it was pretty hot on the heels of the watch-along we did over at CHUD just before Christmas.

I actually nearly watched it again this morning.

Comment

Sounds good.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

So yeah...how about that opening sequence from 'Cliffhanger'. There's zero question that it's one of the best parts of the movie (if not THE best). Is there honestly any way in which it could have been improved?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                          So yeah...how about that opening sequence from 'Cliffhanger'. There's zero question that it's one of the best parts of the movie (if not THE best). Is there honestly any way in which it could have been improved?
                          Nope.

But Sly's Stalagtite Gorilla Press on 1/4 of Jamaica's bobsled team is right up there along with it.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

Also, your lists now are even better due to the fact that Transformers: The Movie gets a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                              Nope.

But Sly's Stalagtite Gorilla Press on 1/4 of Jamaica's bobsled team is right up there along with it.
                              yessss

Comment

Originally posted by Rherb View Post
                                Also, your lists now are even better due to the fact that Transformers: The Movie gets a pass.
                                Bro, it's not a GREAT movie by any stretch. I'd give it 2 out of 4 stars (maybe 2.5), that's it. It at least has characterization, motivation, and a coherent throughline to propel the plot and action forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X