SHOULD I BOTHER WATCHING THIS FILM thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. Stay away.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Agreed. Get Shorty was great. Be Cool was nowhere near.

Comment

• I don't remember reading anyone's reviews of Beyond the Black Rainbow. Was it any good or did it try to hard to be like a Kubrick film?

Comment

• I heard it was surprisingly creepy in its opening and uniquely strange enough to get at least a pass. I'm very curious to see it myself.
          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Which of these films if any, are worth my time?
            Last edited by PHEDG; 05-23-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Paranormal 3 was fun. THe Host is good. I really like VHS. Armored was decent. Tim and Eric is fucking hilarious. I really enjoy Skyline and I know everyone hates it.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• VHS is great. I've been thinking its about time for a rewatch. Abe Lincoln: Axe Wielder is SUPER ridiculous but pretty entertaining.

Comment

• Oh, and The Girlfriend Experience is better than you'd expect but moves pretty slow.

Comment

• VHS is terrible - lazy, generic, plodding, not to mention devoid of real tension or scares. That it can get the horror community pumped up shows just how starved those fans (and I include myself in that bracket) are for real quality in the genre.
                    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I know that feel Bobbarino.

VHS was shit.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Horror fans or not, VHS is no where near as bad as you two continually make it out be.

Comment

• It definitely doesn't deserve high praise either.

After that opening segment it never recovers. It occilates between half-baked ideas and bland, usually telegraphed cliches. Anthologies are tough to balance, but the added fatigue of found footage bullshit set it up to fail.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• There are some segments worth your time with VHS.

Rock of Ages was ok, mainly for Tom Cruise, who kills in it.

AVOID The Three Musketeers. GARBAGE. And I have a high tolerance for shit.

Skyline is bad. Then awesome. Then bad. Then awesome. The aliens invades for spectacularely poor reasons, but it's kinda fun.
                            Last edited by Martin; 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM.
                            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                              I know that feel Bobbarino.
                              And that's why you're the Captain.

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                              Horror fans or not, VHS is no where near as bad as you two continually make it out be.
                              This is my first time bashing it here after my return from the wilderness, man!

What did you like about it? Beyond the (admittedly cool) faux-retro 80s aesthetic, did this movie have anything special to offer? I want something more from a film, especially a horror film, than a shallow nostalgia trip filled with lazy nudity and utterly telegraphed "jump" moments.

I'm really not trying to start an argument; it just irks me the way so many horror fans lap this stuff up (no wonder there's so much rubbish in the genre now) when the best thing about it is probably the poster.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              There are some segments worth your time with VHS.
                              Which bits did you like, mate? I just remember groaning (and not in any kind of good way) through most of it.
                              "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Can anyone recommend me a horror flick that offers a shallow nostalgia trip filled with lazy nudity and utterly telegraphed "jump" moments? I've been jonesing for one.
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X