Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstream Color.

Shane Carruth is two for two in my book. While Primer offered little in the way of concrete answers for the audience on a surface level, the intentional elusiveness of a coherent timeline was so well executed that the resultant theorizing and questioning provided many a night of fun discussion with friends.

Here, answers are not important. Or not nearly as much as the experiment in tonal clashes and harmonies (figuratively and quite literally). The story is quite easy to follow, but how Carruth chooses to tell it is what makes it stand alone. The narrative becomes so abstract in moments that some might feel they've been duped to sit through one of those terrible free associative experimental films in college. Upstream Color is too dense in filmic language and given to viewer interpretation to be one of those dreadful things. But Upstream Color does not reward an unengaged viewing. It's something to examine in the parts that make up the whole more than a labyrinthine plot. Paying close attention to how much sound and visual languages play against and with each other throughout certain moments, where they begin to fray and warp perceptions of what is occurring, is an unbelievably hard thing to do these days and make it mean something. Carruth succeeds more than fails at this, and Cthulu bless him for trying. I feel this may turn many of those who loved Primer away, but much of what made that film special remains in the marrow of UC, evolved by trials and time.

Carruth continues to explore concepts of identity, frailty, and perceived reality in interesting and challenging ways. I truly hope he continues to do so for a long time to come.
    Last edited by Captain Russ; 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Niiiiiiiiiiiice! Looking forward to that new Carruth.
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Badlands - It's my wife's first time watching it and it was a big hit. But, she's a giant True Romance fan and this stuff is up her alley.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Fantastic film.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• The Hunger Games.

What might have been an interesting narrative, taking aspects of gladiatorial combat and political maneuvering in a dystopian elsewhere ala Rollerball, The Running Man, Battle Royale or Death Race 2000 and adding violent apocalyptic nightmares the likes of which can only be found in Dick Cheney's fap folder, instead there is a contrived fucking romance plot, cardboard cutout characters, the manlet offspring of Rock Biter, Donald Sutherland wishing he were still dying in Beerfest, and me, unimpressed at every turn.

And yet I thought Lawrence got away virtually unscathed by this complete shitshow out of sheer force of will. But I'm biased toward her due to my attraction to her like the diluted fucking degenerate I am.

Bottom line, this was terrible. The concept has legs but the execution is lacks teeth. The execution is "prison blowjob" ready.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Comment

• Totally agree on Hunger Games. I'm shocked at how many reputable reviewers give it a pass. It's dull and yep, toothless.
                I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Yeah, Hunger Games is not good. Lawrence however is magical and probably smells like lavender naturally. *throws stalking kit into the trunk of the car*
                  "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Monsieur Lazhar

You guys probably don't give a shit, since it's a local movie, but I liked it better than Haneke's Amour, and thus should have won the Oscar. Fantastic movie, and pull the right strings while not being cheap.

Comment

• Just realised I put this in the wrong thread before...

Iron Man Three (that's the official title)

It's just ok, guys. The first film is still the best. Downey's great and Black's script is very, very funny. There's a lot that doesn't show up in the trailer too, but unfortunately a lot of that stuff I didn't really like. Readjust your expectations - it's fun, but it's got just as many problems as the second film.
                      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Just rewatched 21 Jumpstreet.

Most likely my new Zoolander aka the comedy I'll rewatch the most for the next decade. So happy there's a sequel coming. For both actually.

Hey! Stop fucking with Korean Jesus! He ain't got time for your problems. He's busy with Korean shit!

Comment

• Ben Stiller is an awful excuse for a human being.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Except for Zoolander. Go figure that one out, I still love the shit out of this movie. Wilson and Stiller normally gets on my nerves, but here, it gels into perfection.

Comment

• There's plenty to like in Tropic Thunder too. But yeah, 21 Jump St is legit, my favourite comedy in a long time.

Comment

• Tropic Thunder gave us Simple Jack, best thing Stiller ever did...

Comment

Working...
                                X