Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morse is the definition of solid though.

ETA: Or just what Billy said.

Comment

• Troof...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
        Let Me In

There was no way in hell this was going to as good as the original. For one thing, it is far less subtle than Let the Right One In and because of that, the ending is far more depressing. Plus, because it's set in 1983, they have to go overboard with the 80s references. That being said, it was shot and lit very well with the kid actors doing great work.
        I gave this movie some further thought and what bothered me about it was there wasn't really the isolation felt in the original. Even though Owen lived in the middle of New Mexico, he was still connected to the world through pop culture. This was not the case with Oskar in the original and as such you can understand why Oskar would want to leave. Plus, the end result of Owen being with Abby is far more apparent and yet he goes along with it.
        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
          Watched 'Proof Of Life' on Instant. A bit contrived as far as the love story goes, since you know she was not going to leave her husband.

The last 40 minutes more than makes up for it. The best filmed example of a semi-improvised snatch and grab I have seen. Good shit.

And if any of you were wondering what I was like while I was 'in harness' for 20 years, just watch David Caruso's performance.
          Downtown 1 to Downtown 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
            Watched 'Proof Of Life' on Instant. A bit contrived as far as the love story goes, since you know she was not going to leave her husband.

The last 40 minutes more than makes up for it. The best filmed example of a semi-improvised snatch and grab I have seen. Good shit.

And if any of you were wondering what I was like while I was 'in harness' for 20 years, just watch David Caruso's performance.
            Always avoided that one. Repaired.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
              Always avoided that one. Repaired.
              So did I, but I caught it one day on HBO (or similar) and liked it more than I thought that I would. It borders upon merely being 'competent' for much of its runtime, but certain characters and sequences really shine. Keep your expectations at about the 'average' level and you should do fine.
              Originally posted by Martin
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Watched "Kick-Ass" on instant... <3 you Netflix. All I can say is, NOT WHAT I EXPECTED. Impressed by the 11 year old who slays everyone in the flick. Not so impressed with the lack of McLovin'ess. But the overall action factor was pretty sweet...
                I LOVE BEER !!!

Comment

• I LOVE 'Kick-Ass'. LOVE.
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• The Sorcerer’s Apprentice

I expected crap, and I was pleastently surprised. This isn't grand filmmaking, but it sure ain't Prince of Persia. Easy, entertaining. Hell, even Cage and his wig weren't that bad!
                    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Blow Out

I just finished the Criterion version of this and it was fantastic. It's interesting to think that on face value it just seems that De Palma is ripping off The Conversation and to an extent that's true. But De Palma in those days was on the top of his game with such fantastic stylized work. A shame Travolta never stuck with playing it understated as this really is his best movie.

I also loved the analog look and processes being used in the movie. No way in hell you could do this movie today unless it was a period piece.
                      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bdubbs2010 View Post
                        Watched "Kick-Ass" on instant... <3 you Netflix. All I can say is, NOT WHAT I EXPECTED. Impressed by the 11 year old who slays everyone in the flick. Not so impressed with the lack of McLovin'ess. But the overall action factor was pretty sweet...
                        Yes,I agree,the little girl steals the show.
                        “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.”

Comment

• Contact.

So bi-polar. Any time its dealing with the science or the message that the Vegans sent or the machine, its on fire. Any time David Morse or Matthew McConaughey are on screen, its fucking horrible. And Jodie Foster flits between the two. She's very good in some scenes, horribly mawkish in others.

The effects work and the basic setup are still great, but Zemeckis is still in Forrest Gump syrup mode for too much of the run time. Honestly, the dialogue Morse is strapped with is sub-Lucas and the entire meeting with the 'aliens' is just horrible in every single aspect. (I couldn't shake the episode of South Park where Tom of 'Tom's Rhinoplasty' is talking about the nose job he's gonna give Mr Mackey and its making him sick, but when Tom mentions Contact and the scene where Jodie Foster is reunited with her father, that's what makes Mr Mackey puke).

Shame, cos this could have been a classic and I'm still kind of shocked Warners threw so much money at something so devoid of set-pieces (in the traditional sci-fi sense).
                          Last edited by Ben Thomas; 05-19-2011, 10:11 AM.
                          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• 'OK to go... OK to go...'

Remind me to call in to the podcast when drunk and do my Jodie Foster impression.

Comment

• Well said, Ben. The 'sci-fi' elements in the film are aces, but the plot surrounding the science is pure garbage. It's been a long time since my last viewing, but I do remember that the only character that I really liked in the entire film was John Hurt.

Comment

• YES VIN. YES
                                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Working...
                                X