Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had an LA double bill - Falling Down and Training Day.

Really great double bill. They both take place over the course of one day; they both cover LA in very interesting and different ways; they are both examining how society can corrupt a man's soul and principles past "the point of no return"; one has the first day of a career, the other the last day of one; one is pre-Rodney King/riots, one-post. They mirror each other nicely and are both excellent films in their own right with career-highs for all the major actors.

Also, Raymond J Barry plays Duvall's captain in FD and one of the 3 Wise Men in TD - you could argue both films take place in the same universe, with his character having slowly got promoted after the events of the first film.
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• La Jetée.

Most compelling slideshow in history.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Monsters.

Pretty freaking great. But....

Spoiler: of course i would say this 
        I wish there were more of them

Otherwise, solid little flick and really makes me excited for the new Godzilla flick he's going to do.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
          Kaboom

Seeing how the only other Gregg Araki film I had seen was Mysterious Skin. I decided to check this movie out last night. I don't know who are fans of this guy's stuff but this movie goes full retard real fast. Complete with an incredibly pointless roommate/lesbian with magical powers subplot.

However, the colors and photography look great and have a comic book like feel which I hear goes for Araki's other films. Plus with his constant breaking of the "Looking at the camera/forth wall rule" and music selections. Also, there's quite a lot of female nudity in this movie for something that you'd think would be a lot *air quotes* gayer.

The director was there along with the cast and the only thing I came from that Q&A was that Thomas Dekker can play a really good lesbian right now.

Finally, it's been said this movie got a ten minute standing ovation at Cannes. I have no idea why.

You've never seen The Doom Generation?
          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• The Doom Generation and Nowhere are great.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Nope, I've only seen Mysterious Skin. But I do want to check out The Living End, the trailer is great.
              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Hated The Living End.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                  Nope, I've only seen Mysterious Skin. But I do want to check out The Living End, the trailer is great.

Watch The Doom Generation.
                  My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Both are on instant, I'll check'em out.

Comment

• Saw a Seven/Zodiac double feature yesterday

A few things I noticed with Zodiac

1. The guy at the end talking to the Vallejo cop in the Ontario airport is none other than the guy who played one of the Macpoyles and the goth rocker from Party Down.

2. Gyllenhaal's first kid in the beginning of the movie disappears completely

3. Mark Ruffalo has amazing hair

Comment

• Watched 'Rise Of The Footsoldier' on instant. Nicely violent little flick, but the British accents get a bit thick at times.

Modern Warfare 2 reunion film for Craig Fairbrass(Ghost) and Billy Murray(Price).

Comment

• Watched Green Zone and The Cat's Meow yesterday. I thought both of 'em were pretty good.

Green Zone was a good semi-non-fictional war/political thriller re: the search for WMD in Iraq during the war, and the (alleged) cover-up when the searches turned up nothing. Damon was rocking a bit of the Bourne in this, and we got great performances from Brendan Gleeson, Greg Kinnear (who can play smarmy bureaucrats to a "t"), among many others.

The Cat's Meow was a nice take on the Thomas Ince affair involving WR Hearst, Marion Davies, etc. Kirsten Dunst did a very good job in this, plus we had Eddie Izzard, Cary Elwes, Edward Hermann, Meg Tilly, etc. living it up 1920's style. This was a film that I'd only caught bits and pieces of here and there, and resolved to watch this thing all the way through. Wasn't disappointed, though the pacing could've used some work here and there.

Comment

• Green Zone was great, but kind of suffered from no central "villain" as it were. Unlikeable characters? Sure, obviously. But much like the war itself, impossible to put a single face to root against in the film.

Comment

• Truth. Everybody in the flick had their own agendas, and all of 'em were valid. From Freddy trying to do the right thing for his country, to Miller looking for the truth, to Poundstone trying to get Iraq under control in the most expedient and pro-US way possible, to Brown trying to expose the whole thing... kind of hard to lock down who to root for or against.

Comment

• Another thing from Zodiac, Randall and I were talking about last night. Randall thought Robert Downey Jr. and Marc Maron have simlilar cadence.

We were laughing are asses off at that.

Comment

Working...
                                X