Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's well made and all, but it just felt so smug to me throughout. Like Meadows was saying "you're so very welcome for all this touching drama, the likes of which have never been seen before", when it actually plays more like British History X, which we've seen quite a bit of in one form or another.

Some very good performances, though.
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I think This is England is his most emotionally involving film.

Compare his take on the England he grew up in with Ricky Gervais' (Cemetery Junction) and you can see just how good Meadows' film is. I'd give it another go if I were you. I'd forgotten how fucking scary a lot of the film is when I came to watch it the second time.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
        I still wish Modine had become a huge star. He's bigger than Transporter 2, DAMMIT!

Anyone have the book he released with all of his writings and photos from the FMJ shoot?
        I just ordered it for George for his birthday. I can't wait to look through it!
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• African American Swan.

Looking beyond the sapphic, this was one hell of a film.

Aronofsky took a tragedy and amplified the melodrama to suffocating levels. And the amazing thing is that he made it work. The scene that stole the show of course was the completion of her transformation (though the dressing room scene prior to it is certainly the second in line). I've not seen something so literal occur in some time. It was a truly remarkable moment when she became completely avian. This and the other phantasmagoric elements were handled masterfully.

I don't think Portman can do much better than this, but I hope to be made wrong very soon.

"That bitch crazy" was how my theatre neighbors put it. Succinct.
          Last edited by Captain Russ; 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Modine was great in "And the Band played on..."
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
              I think This is England is his most emotionally involving film.

I'd forgotten how fucking scary a lot of the film is when I came to watch it the second time.
              Stephen Graham is a complete monster in it.

I'd give it another watch, but it had me drained for nearly a week.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Like Ed, I too watched Robocop this past weekend.

I passed out drunk after the gas station explosion. I woke up to Ronny Cox getting iced and the "Murphy" line, so I wasn't too pissed.

I then kept drinking, and found myself watching the Night of the Demons remake with one eye open.

I was then quite pissed. Pissed at myself, pissed at Monica Keena for still not doing her patriotic duty in losing her clothes (as she has the screen presence of a dead hedgehog and the only solution my reptilian brain can seem to find as a solution is nudity), and pissed that the whole thing was inane and uninspired shit. At least the original wore its idiocy like a badge of honor. Cool creature designs though.
                Last edited by Captain Russ; 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Starting watching Dead Man's Shoes. Considine has a beard that won't quit. The look and style of the movie reminds me of Pusher.
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                    I think This is England is his most emotionally involving film.

Compare his take on the England he grew up in with Ricky Gervais' (Cemetery Junction) and you can see just how good Meadows' film is. I'd give it another go if I were you.
                    Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                    Stephen Graham is a complete monster in it.

I'd give it another watch, but it had me drained for nearly a week.
                    I didn't think it was a failure by any means, gents. It just felt overly familiar and I didn't think it deserved all the hype.

Stephen Graham gets a lot of love, but I honestly didn't like his performance very much. I've known the local equivalent of that guy and, yeah, it's a solid depiction of that type of mentality. It's just so broad, though. His portrayal is my problem with the whole film in microcosm - delusions of grandeur. I could almost see him thinking "This is so gritty and in your face, yeah? This is gonna get me praised for sure!" while he was over-zealously delivering all his lines. Like someone from Nathan Barley made real. He wasn't (this is gonna sound so hoity-toity) finding the truth of it and just letting that do the talking; he, like Meadows, was taking everything to the nth degree. Involving flick, cool ideas, but not as special as the fanfare suggested.

And the Blu looks terrible. Seriously, like a soggy VHS in places.
                    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• 'Miller's Crossing'. I DVR'd it off of HBO or Showtime the other night. My wife had never seen it, so it was a pleasure to sit down and watch it with her. She loved it, as I knew she would.
                      Originally posted by Martin
                      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                      Originally posted by gravedigger
                      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Watched The Running Man on the weekend. It was both frightening and amazing how many lines I remembered from that film. Roger Ebert's review of it had some very mean things to say about Richard Dawson's performance I discovered.
                        <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• 'the Count of Monte Cristo' (1970s Richard Chamberlain version). It's more true to the book but it's also pretty weak. Low production values, inconsistent acting, and poor pacing do not make for a fun movie-watching experience. Tony Curtis as Mondego is particularly distracting.

We watched it mainly to compare it with the Caviezel/Pearce version of 'The Count of Monte Cristo', a movie which my wife and I adore.
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• The updated adventures of Eddy Dantes surprised me.

It was just refreshing to see something go against the usual trend of overstepping the story to inflate the film with trite action scenes.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Dad View Post
                              The updated adventures of Eddy Dantes surprised me.

It was just refreshing to see something go against the usual trend of overstepping the story to inflate the film with trite action scenes.

I had an interesting theater experience watching the Monte Cristo update.
                              My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
                                I had an interesting theater experience watching the Monte Cristo update.
                                what was her name?

Comment

Working...
                                X