Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crammed a lot of flicks down my gullet today - Inglorious Basterds, True Romance, Jackie Brown (a Tarantino trifecta!); and threw some Dune and Starship Troopers into the mix, too.

Love my IO Gold Package!

Comment

• Bobby speaks truths!

Comment

• Don't get me wrong, guys. Pineapple has its moments. Pretty much everything involving Craig Robinson is wonderful. Particularly, his exit scene. I cackled like a mad thing when McBride blew the top of his foot off. And the line about his nethers and the Daewoo Lanos? Brilliant.

It's just that a lot of the (now very obviously) "off-the-cuff Apatow film style dialogue" just doesn't work for me. During the squad car chase, for example, when Dale's shouting "TREE! TREE! SQUIRREL!" I know I'm supposed to be laughing, but I'm not. Quite a few times like that just feel a little lazy, like it's supposed to be enough that it's coming from Seth Rogen or something. Even the pre-credit sequence with the awesome Bill Hader can't escape this.

Franco's performance really impressed me on this second viewing. It takes a lot to make a role like that (which is a pretty routine character played just the right side of broad) and make it fun. It's the kinda role that's hard to pitch to someone who hasn't seen the film without making it sound lame and stereotypical. He makes it work like crazy, though.

(By the way, thanks Billy!)
        "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Still don't like Pineapple...
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• 'The Social Network'. Very good, but I didn't LOVE LOVE LOVE it like I was expecting. I haven't really put my finger on WHY yet.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Eisenberg OWNED his performance.
              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                'The Social Network'. Very good, but I didn't LOVE LOVE LOVE it like I was expecting. I haven't really put my finger on WHY yet.
                Same, I think pretty much because there is zero reason to revisit it outside of wanting to show someone Eisenberg's performance.

Comment

• I watched a few this weekend.

When in Rome- blech

Serenity- was a rewatch- love it

And then Oldboy- good movie- great ending that I didnt see coming until a few minutes before and then I was thinking "oooh thats good"

Comment

• The Losers - fun action flick that obviously was not taking itself seriously. I enjoyed it.

The Carriers - it was ok but I was bothered that this mofo could act like getting shanked through the hand wasn't shit. REALLY took me out of the flick.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• A blast from 1986: 'Something Wild'. It was just as good as I remembered it. Once Ray Liotta shows up, it switches gears into something incredible. If you're a fan of Ray's, check out this movie.
                      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                        Same, I think pretty much because there is zero reason to revisit it outside of wanting to show someone Eisenberg's performance.
                        Not gonna lie, I love the hell out of the "You can't make 500 million firends without making a few enemies" poster. I'm seriously considering buying that.
                        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• On a French crime kick, clearly.

Watched Un Prophet and Mesrine: Killer Instinct.

Un Prophet is a very solid film with a brilliant central performance, but I can't help but think the hype is a bit out of control. Comparing it to The Godfather is ridiculous. Well worth a watch, if a little long. I just didn't really care for the more "mystical" element, the reason for the title. But as a prison movie, its up there with the best.

Mesrine was good, a lot more popcorn-y. I'm watching the 2nd part later, but this one had Cassel being a badass and plenty of decent set-pieces. Its just difficult to like any of the characters. Depardieu was on fire in the few scenes he has.
                          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Really, really, really want to see Un Prophet. Wish it was streaming on Netflix already.

Comment

• 'Mesrine' and the second film were just playing here last month. They got great reviews, as I recall.

Comment

• I saw the Mesrine movies 2 years ago... damn... that took time for you guys! Good stuff.

Un prophete is great.

Ben, did you see 36 Quai des Orfevres?

And I saw Sherlock Holmes last night. Not bad, but considering the pedigree, a bit disappointed.
                                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Working...
                                X