Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
    it has singing. it has dancing. it's a musical as far as I'm concerned.
    Holla!
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Also, I never liked Molun Rouge.

My favorite musical: Cannibal the Musical
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• my favorite musical: 'South Park: BLU'
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I want to discuss just what makes Wonka timeless. Oz gets a pass I guess, but Wonka? Fuck that.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• NEVER cared for Wonka, either version. The Wilder version is at least watchable, though.
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• I want to know how it's timeless? If anything it's DATED AS FUCK.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Wizard of Oz - musical, most assuredly. IMHO a true, TIMELESS classic.
                Willy Wonka (Wilder version) - musical, as much as Oz is, also a classic.
                Willy Wonka (remake) - interesting film, but a misfire. Can't touch the original.

Hey, I'm far from a fan of musicals, so I get Rob's stance, but Oz and Wonka are perfect examples of musicals done right. The music doesn't advance the story? I respectfully disagree: Oz's music chronicles Dorothy's journey quite nicely, as does Wonka's. They move the story along nicely without overpowering it.

Wonka as a TIMELESS classic? Well, you could argue that it is dated, but the gist of the story isn't. Kids are spoiled, bratty, greedy, etc. and I think the movie does a fine job of showing kids that shit don't work in real life.

Really want to see a dated musical? I submit The WIZ from the 70's. Oy, such a nightmare, that.
                Last edited by Timothy225; 09-14-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• I don't hate OZ because it's a musical. I hate Oz because it's boring as fuck.

I don't hate Wonka because it's a musical. I hate Wonka because it's boring AS FUCK.

Comment

• Other good musicals: 'Singin' in the Rain' and 'White Christmas'. Pure entertainment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                      I want to know how it's timeless? If anything it's DATED AS FUCK.
                      It's a classic, in terms of production, look and film making. Of course, it's going to be of its time. But it's always going to stand as a MASSIVE achievement in film.

And holy balls is Singin' in the Rain amazing.

Even I on occasion, enjoy movies pre-1975.

Comment

• How is Wonka a MASSIVE achievement in film?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                          How is Wonka a MASSIVE achievement in film?
                          Yeah, I don't get it either. It's a piffle that many people enjoy, nothing more. I'll grant that it's pretty inventive from a production design POV, but that's really it.

Comment

• I was talking about Oz. Wonka is not a massive achievement in film. It's just a good movie.

Saying something is "Timeless" subjective. But it usally relates to the themes and story and how the characters interact. Even though everything in Wonka is circa-1970. You can't tell me for a second that if that story wasn't set in any other time period, it would different. Outside of the obvious "If they had cell phones" pass.

I just think it's a really good movie to show to kids. I'd say around age 8.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                              Wizard of Oz - musical, most assuredly. IMHO a true, TIMELESS classic.
                              Willy Wonka (Wilder version) - musical, as much as Oz is, also a classic.
                              Willy Wonka (remake) - interesting film, but a misfire. Can't touch the original.

Hey, I'm far from a fan of musicals, so I get Rob's stance, but Oz and Wonka are perfect examples of musicals done right. The music doesn't advance the story? I respectfully disagree: Oz's music chronicles Dorothy's journey quite nicely, as does Wonka's. They move the story along nicely without overpowering it.

Wonka as a TIMELESS classic? Well, you could argue that it is dated, but the gist of the story isn't. Kids are spoiled, bratty, greedy, etc. and I think the movie does a fine job of showing kids that shit don't work in real life.

Really want to see a dated musical? I submit The WIZ from the 70's. Oy, such a nightmare, that.
                              Whole post, quoted for truth!

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                              And holy balls is Singin' in the Rain amazing.
                              It really, really is.
                              2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• I'd argue that Oz and Wonka can be boring, but only because I've seen them SO many times. Maybe that's why there's such scorn? Familiarity breeds contempt.

Still, great calls on Singin' in the Rain and White Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X