Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
    I had toys as a kid. But what 17 year old that isn't a massive nerd or a girl has the toys when he was 8 still in his room?
    Heh, I laughed at this. Then I felt kinda depressed. Then my He-Man and Skeletor figures had a quick fight and I felt better again.
    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
      Haven't seen any of the Toy Story Movies
      Wait, what, you?
      2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Well, I've seen bits and pieces. Looks like they would have The Disney Effect on me.
        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• The Box.

I enjoyed it, despite a substantial loss of engagement in the final third. The only reason this probably didn't bug me more is because I'm so used to feeling disappointed by "reveals"/"conclusions" in these sorts of thrillers.

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
          Cinematography was otherwise pretty good.
          Agreed. The Langley shots, in particular, were gorgeous and menacing in a wonderfully natural way.

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
          You'd only say that if there was nothing else to compliment the movie on.
          In most cases, yes, but Where The Wild Things Are is a good example of an exception to this rule. Slick cinematography wasn't that movie's only noteworthy feature (it also had some great voice work and an interesting tone) but it was so above average that a special mention was in order. The Box doesn't look nearly as cool as W.T.W.T.A., but I'd say it still belongs in the same category.

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
          Set design was nice too. They did a good job of recreating the look and feel of the 70's.
          I was impressed by this, too. Mostly because it didn't have that "look how authentic this all is!" feel.

Originally posted by ben thomas View Post
          A great premise, look, soundtrack and talented people, all undone by a completely unengaging mess.
          Did you not, at least, think the first act was a very effective attention grabber?

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          Sounds like I'm calling my dealer and renting Southland instead.
          I'd recommend against that.
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Knowing the categorical absurdity of the premise and the reveal of Langella's agenda, I'd rather watch something that lacks any pretention to the contrary that it is fucking nuts. So while I wait for this to be freely distributed by an OnDemand service, I'll stick with pimps lacking the ability to self-terminate.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• YES
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                Did you not, at least, think the first act was a very effective attention grabber?
                Well, it was ok. But I already knew the premise. So the first act was largely given the 'Cliff notes' treatment by the trailer.

Great use of Bell Bottom Blues and a decent James Marsden performance aside, the rest just did not work for me at all. It was the very definition of 'meh', and this is from someone who does not apologise one iota for loving Donnie Darko. I'm really pulling for Richard Kelly, cos he's a talented guy and his ability to frame a shot and create a tense sequence is unquestionable.

But things like the Pointlessly Creepy Waiter Kid and the obsession with Abyss-lite water effects bug the living shit out of me. He needs to stop trying to be David Lynch and find his own voice again. I can't believe that, after the monumental failure of Southland Tales, being let loose with such a dynamite premise and the toys and cast required to make it work, he delivered something so banal and artificial.

I felt like this with Shyamalan - I'm gonna give him one more shot to prove me wrong, but if he goes all The Happening on me, I'll happily declare him a one-hit wonder. (To clarify, I love The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and yes, even Signs, almost unreservedly)
                I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I fucking love Southland Tales.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Tried to watch five minutes of that wreck, couldn't do it. I went full blown George C. Scott from Hardcore at that point.
                    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• You've got the taste of a Calvinist sometimes, so I'm not surprised.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Well that and I don't believe in the idea that if you start a movie YOU HAVE to finish it. Even though I have nothing going on, my time is still too precious to waste time on boring and or/infuriating garbage.

Although reading about Southland Tales was entertaining as shit.
                        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Splice. This went in every direction you can imagine.
                            Spoiler: my name is jeff, i don't know what spoilers are 
                          Torture. Incest. Rape. Beastiality
                          . It was all over the place with sub par acting. No amount of cg could save this abomination.

Comment

• Seriously man....Those better not have been some major spoilers. I haven't read/watched anything besides the trailers and we're going to see it this weekend.

Comment

• Sounds like Brody earned his paycheck in the most demeaning and absurd fashion.

Until Predators, where he
                                Spoiler: Splice spoiler reference HERE 
                              fucks a predator and blames his night beneath the sheets on his wife's insistence.
                              Having said that, I might as well get hammered and laugh.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I agree with ed on Southland. It took me three sittings to get through and I'm not sure it was worth it. The film just does not work on any level aside from camp curiosity. There are individual ideas and scenes that are decent but their all half-baked and go nowhere. Timberlake's character has some of the worst writing imaginable. The whole 'pimps don't die' thing smacked of trying wayyyyyy too hard.

But the films biggest crime? Wasting Dwayne Johnson. That man gives it his all in everything I've seen him in and he just can't seem to land a decent project. The Rundown notwithstanding - I love that film.
                                I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

Working...
                                X