Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have a bluray player, don't watch it on instant. IT's not in HD I believe, and this movie needs to be watched in HD.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• 1st: I don't have Netflix. It's not in Canada. We have a version of it, but it's crap.
      2nd: Spoiler tags?
      3rd: I did everything I could to keep myself spoiler-free. Avoided it here, and everywhere else. It's been out on DVD for a couple of months, but I'll avoid this thread from now on... I'm always a couple of months late on movies. Life, I guess.
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I blame Howard. Seriously, that's what the spoiler tags are for people. This isn't Star Wars or something.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Oh...

I did not know.

Is there no Netflix equivalent in Canada?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
            More importantly movie has been out for over a year, statue of limitations has run out.
            Says WHERE? And I put spoiler tags everywhere unless it's a 5 years + movie.

Originally posted by V View Post
            Oh...

I did not know.

Is there no Netflix equivalent in Canada?
            There's one, but it's crap.
            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I'm sorry Martin. I'm glad I didn't spoil anything this time (like I did by accident with Zombieland) But honestly, the "twist" isn't what makes the movie good. IT's Rockwell's AWESOME performance.

Comment

• haven't seen 'Moon' yet either, but I've made a point of breezing past any of the posts regarding it. I'm still fairly clean on it, although I have seen the word 'clone' pop up.
                Originally posted by Martin
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bentley View Post
                  I'm sorry Martin. I'm glad I didn't spoil anything this time (like I did by accident with Zombieland) But honestly, the "twist" isn't what makes the movie good. IT's Rockwell's AWESOME performance.
                  This is true, were it not for Rockwell's work. The entire story would have been pure "Twilight Zone".

Dammit, I still can get a little misty at that soundtrack.
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
                    We watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" today. Great classic stuff, can't beat it.
                    Brilliant choice! (The Completely Normal) Brad Dourif's performance always stands out for me. He just absolutely nailed the vulnerability of that character, to moving effect.
                    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• It's incredibly cruel what happens to that guy. It was also the movie that introduced me to the phrase "Bangin' Beaver".

Plus it provided one of the great Simpsons' moments.

"He really, really needs a girlfriend."
                      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Little recap of the weekend viewing:

Indiana Jones 1 & 2. The first is still excellent, breezy, fun entertainment with a really great cast firing on all cylinders. The second is a structural mess and Spielberg 'cheats' physics one or two too many times, but it zips by at a fair rate and the mine-cart sequence is still a set-piece par excellence. Kate Capshaw - nice tits, not much else.

Then I had an Albert Finney double bill of Miller's Crossing and Erin Brockovich.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Miller's Crossing is probably the finest script of its sort produced since Chinatown. The dialogue is incredible, the characters rich and the plot, while labyrinthine at times, is actually surprisingly subtle in its machinations (friend of mine who loves it had his mind blown when I pointed out that John Turturro's Bernie Bernbaum is gay). Why is Gabriel Byrne not in more films? Between this and Usual Suspects, he appeared in two of the highest regarded thrillers of the 90s and he's aces in both. Tom Regan is such a great character and I love when Marcia Gay Harden points out to him that she "never met anyone who made being a son of a bitch such a point of pride".

Brockovich is a very strong film. I'm no Julia Roberts fan, but she is excellent in this. But the heart of the film comes from three supporting players - Finney, amazing as usual and really funny at times; Aaron Eckhart grabbing one of his first high profile gigs by the balls and turning George into a charming, warm character; and Marg Helgenberger doing career-best work in my opinion as one of the plaintiffs - the scene where she asks Roberts if losing her breasts and uterus makes her less of a woman is beautifully played. Soderbergh's style is toned down somewhat from his more arty fare, but the film makes a perfect companion piece to last year's The Informant.

I rounded the weekend off with Eastern Promises. Viggo is the boy. I'd love a sequel to this.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by ben thomas View Post
                          Little recap of the weekend viewing:

Indiana Jones 1 & 2. The first is still excellent, breezy, fun entertainment with a really great cast firing on all cylinders. The second is a structural mess and Spielberg 'cheats' physics one or two too many times, but it zips by at a fair rate and the mine-cart sequence is still a set-piece par excellence. Kate Capshaw - nice tits, not much else.

Then I had an Albert Finney double bill of Miller's Crossing and Erin Brockovich.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Miller's Crossing is probably the finest script of its sort produced since Chinatown. The dialogue is incredible, the characters rich and the plot, while labyrinthine at times, is actually surprisingly subtle in its machinations (friend of mine who loves it had his mind blown when I pointed out that John Turturro's Bernie Bernbaum is gay). Why is Gabriel Byrne not in more films? Between this and Usual Suspects, he appeared in two of the highest regarded thrillers of the 90s and he's aces in both. Tom Regan is such a great character and I love when Marcia Gay Harden points out to him that she "never met anyone who made being a son of a bitch such a point of pride".

Brockovich is a very strong film. I'm no Julia Roberts fan, but she is excellent in this. But the heart of the film comes from three supporting players - Finney, amazing as usual and really funny at times; Aaron Eckhart grabbing one of his first high profile gigs by the balls and turning George into a charming, warm character; and Marg Helgenberger doing career-best work in my opinion as one of the plaintiffs - the scene where she asks Roberts if losing her breasts and uterus makes her less of a woman is beautifully played. Soderbergh's style is toned down somewhat from his more arty fare, but the film makes a perfect companion piece to last year's The Informant.

I rounded the weekend off with Eastern Promises. Viggo is the boy. I'd love a sequel to this.
                          'Raiders of the Lost Ark': Arguably my favorite film, PERIOD. Pure entertainment from start to finish.

'Temple of Doom': Good, but overdone. Requires far more suspension of disbelief than Raiders which, in my opinion, hurts it. Capshaw is shrill.

'Miller's Crossing': Remember it being great. Remember Finney owning the film. Need to see this again.

'Erin Brokovich': Made me a fan of Julia Roberts, actually. It was surprising to see just how well she could pull of the foul mouthed, spunky woman who won't take any shit. The supporting cast is aces.

'Eastern Promises': Arguably my wife's favorite movie. She was positively giddy when I told her that they were working on a sequel.
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint View Post
                            'Raiders of the Lost Ark': Arguably my favorite film, PERIOD. Pure entertainment from start to finish.
                            No arguments here. Ford was never this much fun again.

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                            'Temple of Doom': Good, but overdone. Requires far more suspension of disbelief than Raiders which, in my opinion, hurts it. Capshaw is shrill.
                            I agree. The cheating I talked about is clearly a throwback to the serials they're apeing - I'm thinking of James Caan telling Kathy Bates that they 'always cheated like that in chapter plays'. But its still cheating.

'Miller's Crossing': Remember it being great. Remember Finney owning the film. Need to see this again.
                            Do yourself a favour and watch it again. I've said it before and I'll say it again now - the Coens' best film. Raising Arizona will always be my favourite of theirs (and among my all-time favourite films, if you're asking) but I don't think they'll ever touch how perfect this film is. I watch it pretty much once a year now, I think. And I LOVE Sam Raimi's cameo. He looks so badass!

'Eastern Promises': Arguably my wife's favorite movie. She was positively giddy when I told her that they were working on a sequel.
                            I hope it comes to fruition. I find it hard to pick between this and A History of Violence, but this would really benefit from a sequel done right.
                            I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Ben: if you REALLY want to see some Vintage Finney, rent 'Two for the Road' with Audrey Hepburn. It's one of the best films about marriage that I've ever seen, and Finney and Hepburn are both in top form.

Bitch.
                              Bastard.

Comment

• Originally posted by ben thomas View Post
                                And I LOVE Sam Raimi's cameo. He looks so badass!
                                GOD yes. Still love this movie.
                                "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                                *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Working...
                                X