Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, different strokes then. I thought Roth pulled it off perfectly and even in Punch Drunk Love (which I dug) it was hard to shake my preconceptions of Sandler (which I know is MY issue). I also really just like Eli alot.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Sandler could have been the bear jew had the movie been made 15 years ago.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
        Sandler could have been the bear jew had the movie been made 15 years ago.

That makes sense. Maybe it's just age thing.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Gran Torino.

OK. I really don't want to start coming across as a negative ninny round here, but how in the hell did this get nominated for major awards? There are exactly two good things in this - Clint Eastwood and the ever reliable John Carrol Lynch.

The direction is flat and lifeless; the score completely forgettable, popping up at odd times, while noticeably absent during supposed sequences of tension; the acting uniformly atrocious (barring the aforementioned) and the symbolism more heavy handed than my student films.

I didn't hate it, but I never need to see it again. The only time it came to life was when Kowalski was throwing slurs around and the best scene in the whole film was the second barbershop scene. I didn't even buy Clint as a badass. At least, not one who wouldn't have got his ass handed to him several times over.

On the plus side, I really want to make a compilation of growls from Walt Kowalski and Father Jack Hackett from Father Ted (is that a lost reference stateside?). Could be highly amusing.
          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I liked it better than you do, Ben, but the acting from many of the supporting actors (including the Hmong actors) is really bad. Atrocious, EMBARRASSINGLY bad.

On a side note, one of my coworkers is the brother-in-law of one of the screenwriters for this film.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            Originally posted by Martin
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by ben thomas View Post
              Gran Torino.

OK. I really don't want to start coming across as a negative ninny round here, but how in the hell did this get nominated for major awards?

On the plus side, I really want to make a compilation of growls from Walt Kowalski and Father Jack Hackett from Father Ted (is that a lost reference stateside?). Could be highly amusing.
              The Academy loves Clint. They see him as some iconic relic that can do no wrong, and they see him and what he produces as such even when he falters.

The older he gets, the more they are inclined to confirm his status as such, as though he might die if something of his doesn't get some form of recognition. (It's the only way I can explain Invictus.) I'm sure he could give a shit, but that's what their behavior suggests.

They are invertebrates as well.

This holds true to most other WTF decisions they have made and continue to make. Whether it comes about by this sort of favoritism or by political pressure from those who try their hand at campaigning, all WTFACADEMY? decisions stem from one of the two.

RE: Father Ted. Jack "FECK!" Hackett is known to me. Curmudgeonly attitudes are welcome.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by ben thomas View Post
                Gran Torino.

OK. I really don't want to start coming across as a negative ninny round here, but how in the hell did this get nominated for major awards? There are exactly two good things in this - Clint Eastwood and the ever reliable John Carrol Lynch.

The direction is flat and lifeless; the score completely forgettable, popping up at odd times, while noticeably absent during supposed sequences of tension; the acting uniformly atrocious (barring the aforementioned) and the symbolism more heavy handed than my student films.

I didn't hate it, but I never need to see it again. The only time it came to life was when Kowalski was throwing slurs around and the best scene in the whole film was the second barbershop scene. I didn't even buy Clint as a badass. At least, not one who wouldn't have got his ass handed to him several times over.

THAT. You said it better than I did. Here was my review:

Clint Eastwood is an old racist man living in a neighborhood that has gang violence and a large population of Hmongs.

He befriends his next door neighbors and learns to see past the racism.

He sounds like Batman while doing all of this.

Also:

Comment

• bahahahaha
                  "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                  *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Gonna watch Malice tonight. Gonna see me some classic Alec Baldwin.

Comment

• Now that was a boring fucking movie.

Enjoy the Tobin Bell cameo.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Guy Meatdrapes View Post

Also:
                        Dark Knight Returns! But first I need a carpenter's belt. Utility belt gave up in ought nine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
                          Now that was a boring fucking movie.

Enjoy the Tobin Bell cameo.
                          You're kidding?

Are you sure you're not thinking of The Firm?

Comment

• Nope. Not kidding.

Malice.

The one with Bilbo Pullman and Kidman where he plays the surgeon and Bebe Neuwirth has the LULZified BAHSTAHN accent?

Yeah. That one.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I'll give a shot, it's on instant.

Couldn't be worse than The Firm. Damn is Grisham boring as all hell.

Comment

• I agree.

And at least he isn't Dan Brown.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X