Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double feature at the house featuring limb removal as a bridging topic.

The Severed Arm (1973) and Body Parts (1991).

The Severed Arm, while stilted and amateurish, had a bit of the Herschel Gordon Lewis aesthetic to it all. Done on the cheap, but there were legitimately solid sequences and experimentation with what would become the slasher genre throughout. Killer POV shots, bizarre yet somewhat catchy synth scoring, extreme amounts of cross cutting during the many dispatches of characters (a fuckton of coverage for the first victim especially), a proto-Dressed to Kill elevator sequence that found a way to make a four floor ascent suspenseful, a wonderful waterfall distortion dissolve into the flashback that sets the whole film up (shout out to Wayne's World), and a really solid nod to Eddy Allan Poe at the conclusion. All in all, not bad. Not great, but entertaining. Wish the print were cleaner, but for what is available, the graininess is a feature.

Body Parts. Following a wild road accident that is as horrifying as it is technically impressive to behold, Jeff Fahey is gifted the arm of Orlac. Only this Orlac had most of himself donated to others lacking appendages. One being Brad Dourif. Each donated part starts rebelling and rejecting its donor in wild ways, and some squirrelly shit starts to make ol' Fahey become junior detective to uncover the how and why of it all. Some great body horror sequences (including one toward the end that would be right at home in Robocop), a third act involving a reveal that hits overdrive on the insanity of the premise (excellent stunt work there and one slow motion shot that just rules), all anchored by pretty entertaining performances by both Fahey and Dourif. The bar scene alone is worth the price of admission, really. This really does have a bit more meat to it than most high concept horror/thrillers of the era. Definitely worth the time.
    Last edited by Captain Russ; 08-12-2023, 01:30 PM.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• BODY PARTS is great, one of those 'much better than it should have been 'movies.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Definitely, it really made a lot work where other high concepts that had a similar design just fell flat. I really appreciate how much it went for it in the last act.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Whiplash

Never seen it before. it got selected for our work movie club. Really well made movie with some awesome performances that I absolutely hated. Everyone sucked. I hate the "greatness is forged from abuse" trope more than any other trope. I'd have strangled JK Simmons way before he ever had a chance to throw a fucking cymbal at my head. Miles Teller is an actor I just don't get. I don't think he's particularly good, charismatic or handsome, so I don't know why he has fans. And in this movie he was a massive piece of shit to his family and the girl he asked out. This movie ruined my high.

Comment

• HEART OF STONE on Netflix.

Surprisingly watchable. Don't set your bar really high and just go with it. The premise is actually pretty solid overall and I can see a franchise coming from this.
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Body Parts is great from what I remember but it's been soooo long.

SpideyVerse 2 - Dug it a bunch. The animation was more polished and visually interesting throughout this one. Dug the story, loved the stuff with the
                Spoiler: spoilers 
              real live action actors showing up
              especially making
                Spoiler: spoilers 
              Donald Glover the live action Prowler
              which was a neat touch. Needed more Peter and Mayday because I'm dumb.

That opening with the Renaissance Vulture was so fucking cool in an animation sense. Dug it but also totally forgot it pulls a fucking BttF2 and we gotta wait for the ending which was a bit of a slap to the dick.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Really liked Spiderverse 2, except it ends with a cliffhanger. Which yeah, of course it's the second of a trilogy, but it really felt like half of a story.

Comment

• The new TMNT cartoon flick was pretty fun. The animation style is awesome and lots of dumb jokes about the og series. Fun stuff. The character designs are great and I'd be down for the sequel they set up post credits. I can see "purists" lol, bitch about changing everything about the characters but it was a nice change. Also, Scumbug is the best.

Speed Racer - hadn't watched this in ages as I lost my bluray. Got another copy and watched it last night, fuck man, in a just world we'd have a triology of these from the Wachowski Sisters. Still look fucking amazing and car-fu is still a ton of fun.
                  Last edited by Abraham Smashington; 09-02-2023, 06:32 PM.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Barbie. I liked it. It was fun. Best movie of the year? Not seeing it but Margot, Ryan, and Ronnie Chieng were pretty fun in it. Wish there was a He-Man cameo. That being said, when the "Creator" talked about her past, that's the movie I want to see.

Comment

• Also, someone smarter than me, the market for this is people 35/40+ yeah? As a kid this would have bored me (unless I was still playing with Barbie dolls I guess?). I'm not taking anything away from it, (again, I dug it much more than I thought I would have), but I spent a chunk of the movie just wondering who this was made for.
                      Last edited by Abraham Smashington; 09-19-2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• oh I'd say it's for anyone 25+. Someone needs to have been out in the real world in order for BARBIE to really hit home, thematically.

When we saw it, kids younger than 18 were bored stiff. Women who'd seen real life were fucking amped as hell.

Comment

• We started out 31 days of Halloween movie marathon last night. This year we're going to try for 20 movies we haven't seen, 5 each of our personal favorites, and 1 final movie to be determined still.

Last night was Night 1. No One Will Save You. Dug this movie a whole bunch. Trying to remember how long it's been since I've watched an entire movie that has only like a line or two of dialogue the entire movie.... And it sooooooo worked and mostly stuck the ending. The reveals not being reveals was a nice touch.
                            Spoiler: mild spoilers 
                          "Hey remember how in Signs you waited the entire movie, it had that one scene that will still be on the of the best shots of an alien in any movie, and then just kind of ended?" Fuck that, first 10 mins BOOM here you go, now you know this isn't Signs, don't compare it to Signs, just have fun with the main girl being played amazingly real, not a Ripley-esque turn, and just play it straight for the most part.

Dug it,.

Night 2 is being decided.
                          Last edited by Abraham Smashington; 10-02-2023, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• #2 of 31 days of Halloween: The Hole in the Ground

Never saw a trailer, read a synopsis, saw a poster on MAX and took a gamble (gotta hit 20 unseen horror movies somehow!) and was pleasantly surprised. Tense throughout and if I have any sort of gripe with it
                              Spoiler: ending spoilers - don't read if you are interested in seeing this 
                            the cgi "creatures"
                            were not needed imo and the last shot in the car/scene in the movie worked so much better overall.

Nothing groundbreaking, but so far we're 2 for 2 for new flicks.

Comment

• I've done 4 for Halloween so far:
                              PSYCHO
                              PSYCHO II
                              FRANKENSTEIN
                              BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

Comment

• #3 of 31 days of Halloween - Cobweb
                                A tense fairytale-esque movie with some really good shots and some incredibly creepy imagery. Would have been 4/5 but 2 decisions brought it down to 3 out of 5. Still solid as hell and again, going in blind to all of these so far has been the best way to do so. Lizzie Caplan and Antony Starr were fantastic. If they would have decided NOT to
                                  Spoiler: super spoilers 
                                show the cgi face thing AND the Evil Dead stop motion near the end
                                it would have easily been a 4/5 and I still liked it but I can see people being turned off in that last act. Recommend it, and recommend just going in blind. No trailer.

But thus far I'm 3 for 3 with new movies with no background behind them. Good stuff.
                                Last edited by Abraham Smashington; 10-05-2023, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X