Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched that Last Blockbuster documentary on Netflix. Pretty dull. Didn't need the talking heads. Thought the info on why Blockbuster actually shut down (getting the debt for buying Paramount dumped on them, then the 08 financial crash fucked them for holding all that debt) was interesting. Some cool tidbits with the manager of the last Blockbuster.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
      Watched that Last Blockbuster documentary on Netflix. Pretty dull. Didn't need the talking heads. Thought the info on why Blockbuster actually shut down (getting the debt for buying Paramount dumped on them, then the 08 financial crash fucked them for holding all that debt) was interesting. Some cool tidbits with the manager of the last Blockbuster.
      From a business standpoint, it was a familiar tale.
      K-Mart being the albatross that took out 6 other businesses including Sears in a similar fashion.

There were SEC standards put into place under Obama to keep that shit from happening again, but Trump killed them.

It was cool seeing Jared Rasic in it, as he is one of the few writers that hasn't lost their fucking minds post CHUD collapse.
      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Love and Monsters. This was way fucking better than I thought it was going to be. It was actually a really well done. I cared about the characters, Michael Rooker and his adopted daughter were great together, the monsters were used perfectly in such a way that it wasn't a full on "LOOK AT THE CG!" shit like in other giant monster flicks but more of a Jaws type thing with shadows and sound. That way when the monsters were on screen they made an impact. The ending was good and I want a sequel right now.

Highly recommend it.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I put it in the wrong thread so I'll put it here:

We watched SAS: RED NOTICE last night. It's yet another DIE HARD riff, this time with a train caught in the Chunnel between England and France. There's some good stuff in there and the film has a sort of mean edge to it, but it's not great. If you want to scratch a DH itch, you can do far worse, but don't go out of your way to watch it.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Finally got around to watching Inception. Is it wrong that I thought it was too long?
            Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ingrid View Post
              Finally got around to watching Inception. Is it wrong that I thought it was too long?
              My wife felt the same way so you're in good company.

We just watched GREENLAND. Honestly, this was pretty great. Even though I heard it was pretty good, I kept my expectations in check because it sounded like another ARMAGEDDON/DEEP IMPACT clone. While the premise is in line with those, the execution is far different and superior in almost every way. The film feels 100% believable and nobody takes any actions that outright stretch credulity. Everyone is smart, everyone is authentic feeling, and all of the actors do excellent work. It's a very solid, intense movie. The wife and I loved it.
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ingrid View Post
                Finally got around to watching Inception. Is it wrong that I thought it was too long?
                The question is, was it to long, or were YOU to long?
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Matt, my mind is fucking melted. I was like...what the fuck is Matt talking about Deep Impact and Armageddon Greenland is about the fucking Iraq security area...

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post

My wife felt the same way so you're in good company.

We just watched GREENLAND. Honestly, this was pretty great. Even though I heard it was pretty good, I kept my expectations in check because it sounded like another ARMAGEDDON/DEEP IMPACT clone. While the premise is in line with those, the execution is far different and superior in almost every way. The film feels 100% believable and nobody takes any actions that outright stretch credulity. Everyone is smart, everyone is authentic feeling, and all of the actors do excellent work. It's a very solid, intense movie. The wife and I loved it.
                    Yep, exactly why I said I recommended it a few weeks back. It's really good and fucking intense.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Inception bores me. Nolan does nothing for me overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post

Yep, exactly why I said I recommended it a few weeks back. It's really good and fucking intense.
                        The wife and I were talking about it again this morning. It was THAT good. It was also very well directed, I think. The film hits just the right tone from the first scene in the movie and never deviates from it.
                        Also, as far as the human interactions in the film, it again all felt right. You see the best of human nature and the worst of it, and all of it came from characters that felt believable. There's a great scene in it where the wife is at a military encampment looking for her son. She's freaking out and causing a scene. A triage person steps in and calms her down and spends a few seconds trying to figure out the problem. After listening, he's like 'maybe he's in a pediatric tent, let's go and find him.' It's exactly the kind of real life situation that you'd expect to happen and the resolution entails a compassionate person going 'let's solve your problem.' That shit happens where you find randomly GOOD people in your life who help you out. You also run into blockers, and the film shows plenty of them who, again, are all believable.

It's just a really well made film and I have to really commend it for getting so much right in terms of human interactions. I also have to credit the film for not being special effects heavy at all. What's there is really well done but it's not the focus of the story. It's not spectacle that the film is focusing on, it's the human element.

I liked the director's prior film a lot (ANGEL HAS FALLEN) but he does an even better job here. It's an extremely strong film.

Comment

• Pretty much everything that happens in the movie feels like what would happen in real life. It's fucking great. The couple in the van especially.

Comment

Pretty much everything that happens in the movie feels like what would happen in real life. It's fucking great. The couple in the van especially.
                            Absolutely. Nothing rang false at all. Also, everyone acts on an even keel...nobody goes broad or does anything that screams of ACTING! GENIUS! Butler is particularly good here, nice and restrained and believable.
                            And yeah, that couple in the van...not only were they good characters but they were written and performed well.

The kid actor playing Nathan was amazing, one of the best child performers that I've seen. He has a lot of heavy lifting to do and he pulls it all off brilliantly.

Comment

Pretty much everything that happens in the movie feels like what would happen in real life. It's fucking great. The couple in the van especially.
                              To further expand on this: usually movies are driven by the 'idiot plot', meaning that the only reason why the plot moves from point A to point B is because everyone acts like an idiot. That is not the case here at all. Critical errors are made along the way (like with the insulin) but nothing that strains credulity. People are forced to make decisions based upon the best available information at the time and nobody does anything out of line. Nothing happens that ever pulls me out of the film...there are zero 'get the fuck outta here' moments to hinder my engagement with what is going on.

Fuck it, I may watch it again in the next couple of day, it was that good. I'd even go so far as to maybe put in the top ten films that I've seen in the last 5 years.

Comment

• Ok but does Butler try to fuck anyone using animal crackers? This is make or break information for me.
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X