Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 had great setpieces and choreography that kept things fresh without going on too long with any of them.

3 had the opposite problem. Everything was the same old shit, edited poorly so the pacing slogged through it all and made Keanu look sloppy as hell, and what's worse--most of the setpieces beyond the inital knife house shindig just went on for fucking ever without much escalation or inventiveness.

Also, Adjudifucker was a dogshit villain.
    Last edited by Captain Russ; 09-30-2019, 11:53 AM.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
      2 had great setpieces and choreography that kept things fresh without going on too long with any of them.

3 had the opposite problem. Everything was the same old shit, edited poorly so the pacing slogged through it all and made Keanu look sloppy as hell, and what's worse--most of the setpieces beyond the inital knife house shindig just went on for fucking ever.

Also, Adjudifucker was a dogshit villain.
      Absolutely the exact opposite reaction for me, although I kinda agree that the Adjudicator was fairly weak.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• My go-to example is the desert compound sequence. By the second nutsack, the novelty of the dogs was played out.

And then it just went on for the next ten fucking minutes.

EDIT: I really wanted to like it, but there were a lot of mishandled moments that could have used some tightening up in the editing.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• 100% Russ. Especially that dog scene.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I think 2 may be my favorite, and I need to re-watch 3. It's sitting next to my TV waiting to be watched. I do remember the desert compound sequence going on WAY too long, and really bringing the momentum to a halt.

Comment

• Second the Autopsy of Jane Doe recommendation. And I to wish the dog/desert shit was about half as long in Wick 3. That said I appreciate all three to varying degrees with the first being tops in my book.
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• The fight with Halle was good but the whole thing in the desert was mind-bogglingly stupid. You're right there, kill the head of the whole organization, you dope!

Comment

• Joaquer.

Todd Phillips doesn’t know what he wants with some of this and puts the load on the starved actor man to ACT HARD in many of the first third’s scenes.

The plot itself is very old hat if you’ve seen a movie before. None of the reveals are impactful and it all had a “by the numbers” feeling to it’s escalation.

I think Phillips’ ability added to the weak-at-times story end up a hodgepodge of mixed messages by the film’s end. It doesn’t fall on one extreme of moralizing or the other and ends up fucking the fence it’s sitting on.

Disappointing, but impressive growth from the fucking Hangover guy.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Tales from the Dark Side. Still pretty fun. The James Remar short is still my favorite of the bunch and holy hell Debbi Harry can't act for shit. Totally forgot about the framework for this flick.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Saw the little gargoyle child from that Remar short in Austin. I miss wild looking puppets in horror.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Legit my favorite. Lesley was laughing at it but I fucking love big dopey animatronics.

Comment

• Should do a plug for it since it’s been on for two episodes so far, but the new Creepshow has some fun practicals in it. The one with DJ Qualls is quite fun.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                            Saw the little gargoyle child from that Remar short in Austin. I miss wild looking puppets in horror.
                            You'd love Bray Wyatt's new gimmick then, if you haven't seen it I recommend youtube-ing firefly funhouse.
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Superman Returns on Netflix.

A love-letter to blockbusters from a time gone by and the legacy of Superman as a whole. It's aged gracefully and its funny how it predated the trend for nostalgia-fueled blockbusters. At the time, it was criticized for relying too heavily on nostalgia without being its own thing (which I could not disagree more with). Something that we see more and more of. The first half-hour is Singer recreating the spirit of Donner and the moment after Superman stands in front of Air Force One with the world cheering on his return, it's a full-on Singer film. To its success or failure, depending on your reaction.

There's something cathartic about seeing this again after so many years especially in lieu of Brandon Routh reprising the role on television. Brings back all those memories from the moment it was randomly announced in late July 2004 to its June 2006 release - its what got me back into the Superman lore. Of seeing it at midnight with my best friend and our debates for the remainder of that year (I loved it, he didn't).

Most importantly of all the friendships this film and the conversations associated with it led to including DERP and that led me to you guys here. I have pinched myself realizing I've become friends with people who worked on it. This film (and the on-again, off-again situation with its ultimately unmade sequel) led me to writing for the movie-news blogging scene... which in itself is what brought Ana into my life.

I've said if I ever got to meet Bryan Singer (yes, yes, rightfully make your quips about the man), I would tell him he made Superman Returns for me and thank him for doing so.
                              Originally posted by Ari
                              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• There's a lot to like in SUPERMAN RETURNS. Unfortunately, the third act simply sinks under its own weight for me with 'too much of too much'.
                                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                                Originally posted by gravedigger
                                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Working...
                                X