Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
    what was the 'real' HALLOWEEN 4 script? Did it ever get repurposed?

I missed this initially. Here's some background info.
    http://halloweendailynews.com/2017/0...ween-4-script/

Here's an awkward transcript of the entire script
    https://archive.org/stream/Halloween...cript_djvu.txt
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
      Bohemian Rhapsody.

Definitely suffers from biopic-syndrome - my most hated of all sub-genres. There are times where you feel like you're watching Walk Hard, minus the irony. Right down to the disapproving father (Seriously, this is still a trope?!) and the switch-boards during Live Aid that isn't a success... until Queen starts playing!?! But the soundtrack is aces, of course. My lovely love wife and I played our Queen compilation on the drive home.

Make no mistake, this is a Bryan Singer film. Right down to his Outsider theme and there are times where you see how he directs the Hell out of this (the press conference scene and all the on-stage performances), and Rami Malek tries his damndest to make it work. Both failed.

As many feared, the real culprit here is the fact the surviving Queen members had final say on everything. It portrays them as long-suffering choir boys who put up with Freddy's wacky antics. Nobody is expecting a big-budgeted dramatization to be 100% factual. But the details they go with come across as their getting a jab in on Mercury more than anything else (Mercury quits the band to start a solo career, fails miserably and comes crawling back begging to get back together - Nope, never happened).

The more I think about it, the more I fucking hated this. But again, at least the music is great(?)

If it wasn't for Nutcracker being one of the biggest pieces of shit this year, I would be shitting on Bohemian Rhapsody much harder.
      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• Corbin Nash.

We talk about it on the upcoming episode. So bad. People thought Rey was a mary sue but those people never saw Corbin Nash.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Better than Corbin Dallas, though.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

An OK biopic with the standard tropes to it that is redeemed (and borderline made great) by three things:
            1. Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury. Believe the hype, he's that good in this. Even when the script lets him down, he's absolutely magnetic and doing a magnificent job of channeling Freddie without going over the top. He's definitely an awards contender.
            2. The Music. If you're a fan of Queen's music, especially the heavier stuff, you're in for a treat. The film rocks hard from beginning to end, and it's all killer.
            3. The 'Live Aid' concert. The film presents a long sequence here, doing an abbreviated version of the actual setlist. The actual setlist was 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (the beginning), 'Radio Gaga', 'Hammer to Fall', 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love', 'We Will Rock You' (the beginning), and 'We Are the Champions'. In the film itself, you get 'Bohemian Rhapsody' as it was done at 'Live Aid', abbreviated versions of 'Radio Gaga' and 'Hammer to Fall', and 'We Are the Champions'. It's fantastic, and great attention to detail was placed on getting this sequence right (heck, even the Pepsi and beer cups on top of Freddie's piano are accurate to the actual event). The film is honestly worth seeing for this sequence alone.

Also worth noting: the actors playing the other band members are 100% convincing in terms of 'playing' their instruments. When they're recording or playing 'live', you believe that they're playing live. The actors also acquit themselves well in general.

But the film does have issues, especially if you know the actual history of the band. There are some mild spoilers below:
            1. Song chronology. This is way off. The film shows them touring to 'Fat Bottomed Girls' in their early years, when they didn't even record it until their JAZZ album. Similarly, it shows them recording 'We Will Rock You' in 1980 when they actually did it in 1977 for NEWS OF THE WORLD. The Rio concert (where the audience sang 'Love of my Life') was in 1981, whereas the movie places it earlier.
            There are other instances in there as well, but those one stuck out to me the most.
            2. Sanitation. Having Brian May and Roger Taylor involved was both a good and a bad thing for this. The good? Well, the movie got all of the rights to the music pretty easily. The bad? What we get is highly sanitized in terms of story. This really should have been a Rated R movie in order to really show the hard partying life that Freddie enjoyed. Instead, we get hints at what happened (especially as he started exploring his sexuality) that don't really go far enough.
            3. Exclusions. There's nothing in there about their first two managers, both of whom absolutely screwed the band out of money. They don't go into the revolving door of bassists that they had before finally finding John Deacon. Some major hit songs are excluded for unknown reasons ('Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'Somebody to Love' aren't in the film). FLASH GORDON, the film and the soundtrack, aren't mentioned at all. I get that you can't include everything in a 2+ hour movie, but these all seem to me to be pretty big exclusions.
            4. Flat out errors. The film is simply wrong about certain events, probably for the purposes of dramatic effect. The movie would lead you to believe that the band was broken up before Live Aid due to Freddie going solo. That's incorrect...Freddie, Brian, and Roger all had some solo stuff going on and the band was on a break at the time, that's it. The movie also would lead you to believe that Freddie told the band that he had AIDS right before Live Aid. In actuality, he told the band in 1987 while they were prepping for the recording sessions for THE MIRACLE. The movie would also lead you to believe that the songwriting credits would be attributed to the entire band right before Live Aid...again, that decision and implementation didn't happen until THE MIRACLE came out (The A KIND OF MAGIC album, which came out in 1986, still had songs attributed to the individuals). There are more, but you get the idea.
            5. Mike Myers in a cameo. He's terrible here and sticks out like a sore thumb.

If you're a fan of Queen but don't really care about veracity, you'll probably love this. If you know any of the truth, you'll be frustrated with the liberties taken but you'll probably still enjoy the film.
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• That cut away to Myers in his office at the end was disastrously bad.
              Originally posted by Ari
              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

That cut away to Myers in his office at the end was disastrously bad.
                It was embarrassingly bad.

And really, I can't stress enough just how bad Myers is in this. It's distracting how bad he is in this since you're literally cringing the entire time that he's on screen.

Comment

• Bohemian Rhapsody squandered a lot, but let's not talk about it being worse than the Nutcracker.

I'd rather pay to see Keira Knightley take a shit on Roy Disney's chest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    It was embarrassingly bad.

And really, I can't stress enough just how bad Myers is in this. It's distracting how bad he is in this since you're literally cringing the entire time that he's on screen.
                    When he yells, it is full on Shrek.
                    Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• The Meg.

Yeahhhhh. Not good. At all.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• The Girl in the Spider's Web.

Imagine those made-for-TV sequels a la Another Midnight Run, Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby, Problem Child 3 and that's what you're getting here. And this isn't a "soft-reboot" but absolutely a sequel to the 2011 Fincher film.
                        Originally posted by Ari

Comment

The Girl in the Spider's Web.

Imagine those made-for-TV sequels a la Another Midnight Run, Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby, Problem Child 3 and that's what you're getting here. And this isn't a "soft-reboot" but absolutely a sequel to the 2011 Fincher film.

The people defending it blew my mind. I can't remember the last time that I've seen such an utterly toothless sequel.

Comment

• Bummer. I never got around to the book, but I love all the previous films, the American and all the Swedish ones.

Comment

• Same here. Damn shame this new one isn't up to snuff.

Comment

• THE MUMMY (1999) and THE MUMMY RETURNS (2001)

I was in an Indiana Jones type mood but didn't want to watch an actual IJ movie (I've watched them all recently).

THE MUMMY: still awesome. A ridiculous but entertaining IJ riff that's honestly blessed with some nearly perfect casting all around. It has some seriously great chemistry between the leads and knows how to capitalize on everyone's charm to enhance the madness that's going on. I borderline love this movie.

THE MUMMY RETURNS: a major step down, mainly due to the 'too much' factor in place. The desire to overload the film with so much stuff kinda makes it sink under its own weight, especially with all of the poorly rendered CGI crap. Still, it's a film that I find myself enjoying more and more as I rewatch it and accept it under its own terms. A big part of that is the legitimately fantastic Fraser/Weisz combination that simply never fails to charm.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, though: we should not have had THE MUMMY RETURNS. We should have instead had a sequels with The Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster, and Dracula. For the fifth and final film of the franchise, have all of the monsters team up and go after the O'Connells. Instead, we got VAN HELSING...

Comment

Working...
                                X