Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Tower.

I tried getting into this (circa 2000-2001) during my peak King obsession in high school. That and my love of fantasy. But nope... something felt off and it just never clicked for me. So I admit I'm not one of the converted.

Assuming the inclusion of the kid (who is in the books, apparently but vastly different) is meant as an audience avatar. Someone to filter the basic rules/set-up to make things understandable, not unlike John Myers in the first Hellboy. Well congratulations... it's still confusing and tons of details just get glossed over with nary an explanation let alone what is happening. This needed to follow Star Wars or The Matrix. A thick, detailed mythology pushed to the background in favor of a simple, basic story as an access-point for us dumbbells in the audience.

Elba and McConaughey certainly do their best but thanks to the editing, they come across as awkward. In the case of McConaughey, it feels like his best material (including his legit being menacing) got cut out. And just never felt the tension between them.

Can't decide if this or King Arthur: Legend of the Sword was the bigger clusterfuck this summer.
    Originally posted by Ari
    The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Finally got around to that last Star Trek. Didn't hate it, though I could see where others would not enjoy it. Loved the throwbacks to the old crew/show, especially the score at the end of the movie. All in all it could have been better but I still enjoyed it for the most part.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Raw

She sure fucked up that finger like a chicken wing, huh?

Comment

• War of the Planet of the Apes.

It was a bit uneven in parts but overall, a fitting conclusion to the latest series of films.

Serkis' Caesar is as great an asset as ever for the storytelling, as there is so much to read in just his body language and the expressiveness of his eyes. That is still a central strength to this and the other films, where much of a character's interior is inferred by their body language and dialogue is nearly always secondary to this method.

The addition of dialogue from Woody's antagonistic McCullough is interesting for this dynamic, as his words are as equally well chosen and measured as that of Caesar. He's the most direct threat these films have had to the apes, and even though there are some rather silly reaches by the character for the sake of plot advancement, he's one of he better written villains of recent memory. You understand why he's fallen so far, and you even empathize with him in the end, but he's still a bastard.

The comedy element of Steve Zahn's ape character was a little silly, but was definitely needed at times to relieve the oppressive atmosphere of the overall narrative. The rest of the new additions were well done, especially the enslaved apes in McCullough's charge.

If you haven't seen it but liked the other installments, give it a look.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Warcraft.

Hoo boy. We made it an hour in and it felt like we watched a 2 hour movie. The CG is fucking amazing, but everything else is a goddamn slog. Fuck man. I needed a palatte cleanser after that so....

Airborne. FUCK YEAH BRA. Still one of my most favorite movies of all time. Mitchell and Wiley are the best hah.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Sometimes you just want a burrito, but you're stuck in Cincinnati.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                Raw

She sure fucked up that finger like a chicken wing, huh?
                Yep. Glad someone else saw this.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• A Ghost Story.

Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
                    A Ghost Story.

It didn't make you want pie?
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                      It didn't make you want pie?
                      Oh my fucking God... that was infuriating to watch.
                      Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• I respect Rooney Mara for making... her choices as an actor especially since she doesn't have "Set for life" money with a franchise or anything. But motherfucker are some of these films bad.
                        Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• DUNKIRK again, this time on 70mm IMAX. Awesome.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                            Yep. Glad someone else saw this.
                            My niece loved it and went into grotesque detail over lunch yesterday with my sister and mom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                              Warcraft.

Hoo boy. We made it an hour in and it felt like we watched a 2 hour movie. The CG is fucking amazing, but everything else is a goddamn slog. Fuck man. I needed a palette cleanser after that so...
                              I wish they'd had the budget to just make it about the orcs. Nobody gives a fuck about the human element in that story. Every time they cut back to Ben Foster or Viking Man and his totally-not-going-to-die-later-on son I found my mind wandering, hoping they'd go back to the more interesting enslaved space hulks and their giant doggos.

And I even played Alliance. No fucks. NO FUCKS GIVEN.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Exactly. Nothing with the human characters worked for me EXCEPT for Foster and only because I love magic shit.

It was funny seeing Jesse and Tulip in this though. Too bad they were terrible like all of the other human characters.

That orc/human hybrid was so laughably bad though.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X