Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex Machina.

I'd be remiss to say I didn't think this will be a certified classic at some point, but it deals with the deceptive qualities of the human thought process, building and dismantling sexual identity through the male gaze, abusive/submissive relationship dynamics and the limits of control, and all in the confines of a movie about a dirtbag hipster Frankenstein (Oscar Isaac's Nathan) and the audience surrogate (Domnhall Gleeson's Caleb) pursuing the final steps in the development of the world's first fully aware AI (Alicia Virkander's Ava).

While there have been a few of these sorts of films that tried to get at the ideas at play of the singularity and technology offering a bridge beyond conscious human thought, Ex Machina puts it all in a rather disturbing yet believable light. The sorts of leaps and bounds in this sort of tech wouldn't come from some government think tank or NASA engineers, and it wouldn't be in the pursuit of some noble goal. It'd primarily be designed based upon sexuality and the basest beginnings of human interaction, made in the image of its creator and what that creator's biases reflect. Makes more practical sense than Johnny Depp becoming a nanobot wizard.

The film starts off a little slow but once the second session between Caleb and Ava begins, truths are revealed and the tension building game begins. Setting it all in a claustrophobic set of corridors and windowless rooms adds to the inevitability of the final act, which is as intense as it is a logical conclusion to the whole experiment.

Lots of big ideas on display and Garland puts it all in rather plain, succinct terms. Really great moment involving automatic painting and applying the concept of it to explain the sorts of tactics and behaviors necessary to create something as complex as Ava.

Anyway, see it. It's a great piece of science fiction.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I wish I could write reviews like that ^.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• You need to flip tires, break the muscles, and have a nasty attitude from time to time.
        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Watched Mad Max 2 this weekend after watching Mad Max for the first time. Road Warrior is what I remember as being Mad Max. After spending time thinking about it, the original is fucking worthless in the scheme of Max. The story is threadbare, the characters don't make you give a shit about them, and the movie itself is a bit of a chore to get through. I'm glad Lesley didn't give up because it's just not a good movie. Not so with the sequel. Bigger, badder, and with more heart than the original. Totally fucking forgot that Bruce Spence was in this and I love his character. I did think that Humongous and his crew went out in a lame way however. Felt very anti-climatic.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• As Above, So Below: Caught this the other night on cable. Not bad, but cliches seemed to pop up as often as demons/ghosts/strange shit did. You had your shaky cam/found footage stuff, you had your "don't go in there" warning but the protagonists go in anyway, obvious traps and fools setting 'em off, characters with personal demons to fight, characters wise enough to say "I ain't goin'" yet are dragged into going anyway, characters marked for death they should've had numbers (almost got the exact order each character was going to die, so I got that going for me. Which is nice.), and spooky, claustrophobic scenes and atmosphere.

The catacombs under Paris made for a terrific setting and kudos to the filmmakers for creating that sense of being trapped amidst so much death, doom, and even a Hell-like vibe. It's just the many, many cliches that popped up, along with some stuff that never seemed to go anywhere (mysterious girl popping up early on, looking at our heroes with this sense of menace, then disappearing for most of the movie, for example. Reminded me of the demon girl from the first VHS).

The characters are kind of just... there. I did like the guy who's more or less forced to go on this expedition, and he's in for some serious, SERIOUS karma receivership from the female lead for, like, the rest of her fucking life, as is one of the guides they meet along the way. Seriously, the female lead, Scarlet, has to be Stepford material after all the shit she pulled.

As a change of pace/theme to the usual horror genre stuff we're getting, it's worth a viewing, but no real need to revisit.

Comment

• I hated that movie. So much. A few cool ideas/shots (piano, car, creepy chanting people) ruined by the worst script and acting ever. BOOOOURNS. Dumbest smart character ever as well in regards to the main girl.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• I remember you hatin' on it, but I've seen far, far worse acting in films like this. I do agree Scarlet was soooo smart but soooo stupid at the same time.

Comment

• Only God Forgives. I really liked Drive. This wasn't Drive.

Actually, there could have been a really good movie there if the story didn't constantly meander into dreamish sequences and shots of hallways. The bizarre relationship between Gosling and his mother would have been great to get deeper into, but Gosling barely registered in this. The police captain was interesting at least, even though he had no personality. Well, no one but the mom had any personality in this.

Also, there were some really odd choices made in this film. Gosling walking up to the police captain and out of no where challenging him to a fight made me lulz hard. Where the fuck did that come from?

Seriously, just felt like a waste to me.
                  Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                  John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ari View Post
                    Only God Forgives. I really liked Drive. This wasn't Drive.

Actually, there could have been a really good movie there if the story didn't constantly meander into dreamish sequences and shots of hallways. The bizarre relationship between Gosling and his mother would have been great to get deeper into, but Gosling barely registered in this. The police captain was interesting at least, even though he had no personality. Well, no one but the mom had any personality in this.

Also, there were some really odd choices made in this film. Gosling walking up to the police captain and out of no where challenging him to a fight made me lulz hard. Where the fuck did that come from?

Seriously, just felt like a waste to me.
                    I dug it, but it needed like 20 minutes cut from it.

Comment

• MAD MAX FURY ROAD is the goods. Definitely a high water mark for action cinema.
                      Originally posted by Martin
                      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                      Originally posted by gravedigger
                      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Hardy was such a great weirdo version of Max.

Going again tomorrow.

Such a lovely time.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Yeah, might see it again when I'm in Manila.
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• STARRY EYES- man, this movie gets nuts. A Hollywood dreams movie mixed with Rosemary's Baby and some body horror thrown in for good measure.

Comment

• I Seattle on layover. Watched JUPITER ASCENDING on the flight out here. Horrible.

Comment

• no way man. BRILLIANT.

Comment

Working...
                                X