Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I wanna know is this: does lackluster journeyman write out the Storm?
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Red Dragon. Man, this movie. I just don't know. It was a movie I guess.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I hated Red Dragon. An ace cast wasted in service of a terrible, unsubtle adaptation and bland direction. It's not awful enough to be interesting, it's just... there.

Gojira

Loved it. It isn't perfect (poor Sally Hawkins and Ken Watanabe are stuck delivering exposition every 20 minutes, and the final news broadcast seems overly hasty given the gravity of what just occurred), but on a pacing and technical level it's superb. The creatures have so much character and the set-pieces are beautifully shot - Hawaii especially was an excellently-judged ramp up and turning point. The sound design is exemplary and the whole film feels huge - Seamus McGarvey shot the shit out of this film. I don't know that I want a franchise out of it, but I'm damn happy with what we got with this - it's pretty much the best film of its type we've seen in years and (having just seen Honda's original again) a worthy continuation and reappraisal of the key character. Totally gonna snap this up on blu just to soak in the visuals and sound again, but there's other stuff going on in there too that is likely to be the subject of film studies theses comparing the '54 and '14 approaches for years to come.

Gareth Edwards' interview with the Kermode and Mayo film show/podcast is an excellent primer for this film, by the way and he's pretty much the nicest guy that ever stepped behind a camera, by the sounds of it.
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Jen and I caught Godzilla earlier today. I agree with Ben on a lot of his points (from a technical standpoint, Ben's spot on - beautiful looking movie, the monsters will knock your fucking socks off, nice pacing and it feels epic), I'm in the "needed more monster face-time camp."

I know, I know, like Chris and Troy posted before, your standard Godzilla flick has the big G, and whatever monsters he's duking it out with, get very little screen time (1/3 of whatever flick you want to use as an example is probably generous), but even when I was a kid, I found myself giving less than a shit about whatever human drama was going on in those films and wanted to see the monsters. The new movie is called Godzilla for a reason, not The Adventures of Ford Brody, Naval Demolitions Expert.

Yes, the human story in the new film is compelling, to a point. But with so much technical wizardry giving us the best looking Godzilla in years (along with some badass looking monsters in the Mutos, and epic destruction that was more realistic than what we saw in, say, Man of Steel), I felt a bit shortchanged. More monsters fighting, less time with Godzilla swimming with the Navy, less Brody and I'd be more of a happy camper.

There's going to be a sequel, of course, and for a change, I'm hoping at least half that flick's screentime is squarely on the kaiju. Again, my opinion, your mileage may vary, see a doctor if you have symptoms including nausea, rectal bleeding or death.

Comment

• FED UP

This is a documentary out now in theaters. Essentially, sugar is bad and the big food companies are evil monsters that lobby the fuck out of the government. It's a pretty entertaining documentary/propaganda piece. I agree with a lot of what's in there, but I'll be damned if the film doesn't go out of its way to not just make its point but to also make the other side look ridiculous. A more even-handed approach may have worked better.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            Originally posted by Martin
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• JOBS

Made it half way through this last night. So far this is a poor lazy version of Pirates of Silicon Valley.

I don't hate Ashton in the role or anything (I'm one of the few that has no problem with the guy) but in the hour we watched they sped so fucking quick through everything that you barely had a chance to let anything sink in. That and having Woz be almost a minor background character makes me sad.

Will probably finish this tonight because I hate leaving movies unfinished but I'm just bummed that Pirates isn't available to stream anywhere or rent because I really want Lesley to watch that one. Noah and Anthony were really great in that one.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• I can't wait for that AMC show with Lee Pace to start in a couple weeks.

Comment

• You Hockenin' son. TV ain't movies unless they're Lifetime movies.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• hahah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                      You Hockenin' son. TV ain't movies unless they're Lifetime movies.
                      Just commenting as it seems to fill Rob's need for more Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Comment

• Pirates is fucking GREAT.

Comment

• Yeah. Evan Stone cracks me up.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Star Trek Into the meh whatever. It wasn't cinematic aids like I'd been led to believe but that turd needed quite a lot of polish. Also don't kill someone then save them in two minutes. That was just stupid.

Metallica: Through the never. Not bad actually, I almost wish it was just a pure concert film as that portion was so slickly done that I enjoyed it a great deal. Story wasn't terrible but it was a bit random at times.
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                              Star Trek Into the meh whatever. It wasn't cinematic aids like I'd been led to believe
                              It can take 6 months for HIV/AIDs to show in a test. Give it time.

Comment

• Half of Pet Sematary. Turned it on right as Gage ran in front of the semi. Lesley has apparently never watched this flick so we finished it off after a quick recap of the first half of the flick.

Miko Hughes is one creepy kid, Tasha Yar is a terrible actress, and Fred Gwynne is still the man but holy hell is this movie cheesy.

I prefer my cheese with Eddie Furlong and Clancy Brown.

Comment

Working...
                                X