Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifteen minutes into GI JOE RETALIATION and it's already bullshit. THATS who dies right away? NOOOOOOO.

Comment

• Agreed.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• NOW YOU SEE ME

What in the hell did I just watch??? I didn't hate it (I loved some of the magic tricks, especially the big one to open the film), but the big twist with one of the main characters came completely out of nowhere and completely did not fit in with the rest of the film. That really, really threw me off and killed a lot of the goodwill that I had built up over the course of the film.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
          I've heard people rave about The Heat.
          I think a lot of that came from last summer sucking so much.
          Originally posted by Ari
          The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Think I'm going to watch SUPER TROOPERS for the millionth time after reading this oral history-

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...mpaign=partner

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
              Think I'm going to watch SUPER TROOPERS for the millionth time after reading this oral history-

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...mpaign=partner
              Sounds like meow kind of plan.
              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                NOW YOU SEE ME

What in the hell did I just watch??? I didn't hate it (I loved some of the magic tricks, especially the big one to open the film), but the big twist with one of the main characters came completely out of nowhere and completely did not fit in with the rest of the film. That really, really threw me off and killed a lot of the goodwill that I had built up over the course of the film.
                I totally agree. This movie had potential but it just didn't work for me. I did love Woody and Ruffalo in it though.
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL.

Flawless. 10/10. I'd watch it again right now.
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• All Is Lost

Took me a bit of getting into, but I really have to salute Redford and JC Chandor for accomplishing what Gravity didn't - having a character's actions tell you their story without crow-barring in excuses to have them talk to themselves. Don't get me wrong, Gravity is amazing, but its script lets it down. I saw Chandor's Margin Call a couple of weeks back and between that and this, he's very quickly become a writer I admire. He's interested in telling complex narrative in minimalistic terms and is extremely good at it. With this film, he also shows he can direct tension in simple, unforced sequences like nobody's business.

Redford is as great as you'd imagine - again, it takes a while to get into the rhythm of his performance, not least because he's a pretty stony character. But through action, you learn so much about him. His one moment where he screams at the sky was perfect.

I do have one question for anyone who saw the film:

Spoiler: Mild mid-point spoiler stuff 
                    When he opens up the water can from the yacht, what was the deal there? At first, when he looks at the cap and then curses himself, I thought maybe he'd taken the wrong can by accident, but then it clearly says 'POTABLE WATER'. Was it just that sea water had leaked into it like everything else?

All in all, another really solid film. With Margin Call, Chandor showed he could take complex concepts and break them down into digestible shorthand, whilst telling a compelling story. Here, he's taken all of the dialogue out and created a compelling character through almost nothing but actions. He's definitely right near the top of my list of writer-directors to look out for now.
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Milius. Very good.
                      Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                      Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                      POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                        All Is Lost

Spoiler: Mild mid-point spoiler stuff 
                        When he opens up the water can from the yacht, what was the deal there? At first, when he looks at the cap and then curses himself, I thought maybe he'd taken the wrong can by accident, but then it clearly says 'POTABLE WATER'. Was it just that sea water had leaked into it like everything else?
                          Spoiler: Correct. 
                        It was spoiled like everything else. Nothing was left untarnished by the storm.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Fair enough, just wasn't sure I'd missed something. Thanks.

What did you think of the film?
                          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I thought it was a lean and precise film, deftly handled through Redford's physical acting. The bits of dialogue that did exist were perfectly placed and played.

The only issue I return to is that the end felt like a dream, clashing with the harsh reality of the situation.
                            Last edited by Captain Russ; 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the ending either. There's a religious feel to it that the rest of the film eschewed, but at least Chandor leaves it open to interpretation.

Comment

• really want to see that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X