Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE KINGS OF SUMMER- it's great. Offerman is fantastic and the kids are really good, too. Biagio is McLovin if McLovin were interesting and not annoying. It takes a couple expected turns but the characters are likeable and the nature is so pretty that it's a very worthwhile watch.

Comment

• Heard nothing but good things about that one.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Lesley ended up grabbing the first Fast and Furious flick. Haven't seen it in ages. It's so...quaint.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Snowpiercer.

What a silly film.

The tone was alright, but man, the conceit of having separate strata in each car of a train, more than the idea of a perpetual motion machine powering it, was the goofiest thing in execution (though it started out quite promising). The characters are rather bare bones or outright tropes we've all seen before in dystopian sci-fi.

Evans tried but I just could not give a shit about him as a protagonist. Even moreso when the time came for his big confessional about his dark and mysterious past.

The end reveal of everything was ridiculous and made little sense given the motivations and backstories of the stock characters from before. It was cheap dramatics that were mostly unearned and just made the whole narrative collapse in on itself.

"Cool" moments but very very weak overall. Go watch Memories of Murder instead for an appreciation of Mr. Bong's talent.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
            Lesley ended up grabbing the first Fast and Furious flick. Haven't seen it in ages. It's so...quaint.
            Still <3 it so much.
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943)

Wow. I read the book last year and - while it is a little long - loved it. The final couple of chapters are among the best things I've ever read. And this film, even at 70 years old, packs a mighty wallop and delivers a surprisingly faithful adaptation as well. The political stuff is largely lost and the profanity and sexual elements have obviously had to be stripped away or merely suggested, due to the censorial guidelines of the time (shame we don't get the, 'Did the Earth move for you?' scene.

But the action scenes are, for the time, a damn good representation of what Hemingway wrote. Gary Cooper, who I don't always love, is excellent here, as is Ingrid Bergman, who I never would have cast as Maria, but who does just fine and looks absolutely stunning. There's not a false note in the cast, really and its not surprising that Katina Paxinou got a Supporting Actress Oscar as Pilar - her speech about being ugly is a standout scene and when so much of the soundtrack is soaring score or gunfire and explosions, to say that about a scene consisting entirely of her delivering dialogue on the side of a mountain is testament to how great she is.

There's a case to be made that this is due a smart, grittier update that could include some of the tougher or more ambiguous material from the book, but this is an excellent film - large-scale, tense, exciting, smartly adapted and suitably emotional. This could be a new old school favourite for me. It's old fashioned, just does so many things right.
              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                Snowpiercer.

What a silly film.

The tone was alright, but man, the conceit of having separate strata in each car of a train, more than the idea of a perpetual motion machine powering it, was the goofiest thing in execution (though it started out quite promising). The characters are rather bare bones or outright tropes we've all seen before in dystopian sci-fi.

Evans tried but I just could not give a shit about him as a protagonist. Even moreso when the time came for his big confessional about his dark and mysterious past.

The end reveal of everything was ridiculous and made little sense given the motivations and backstories of the stock characters from before. It was cheap dramatics that were mostly unearned and just made the whole narrative collapse in on itself.

"Cool" moments but very very weak overall. Go watch Memories of Murder instead for an appreciation of Mr. Bong's talent.
                Shame, really. I wanna see it for Tilda.
                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I'd see it for her, but don't expect too much beyond it. She does try hard though.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Black Dynamite.

And IIIIIIIIIIIeyeeeeeeeeIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will alwaaaaaaays looooooooooove this fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilm.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• American Hustle.

2013 had to have sucked for films for this to be nominated for Best Picture. IT was good but in no way did I feel this should have been nominated. Bale was great and I really liked Adams but Renner was amazing IMO. I felt for that guy so hoard.

I wish they would have used David Pena a bit more but overall I was entertained. IT was pretty funny as well.

7/10
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Motherfucker gave him a science oven and everything.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• shit is removing all the nutrients.

Comment

• Bale was so damn good in it. That opening scene is brilliant comedy.

Comment

• The movie starts and ends very strong. It just needs a serious edit to pick up the pace in the middle 90 minutes.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• All the Jennifer Lawrence stuff felt superfluous, even if she was good in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X