Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before people get in a huff, I'll state the case again.

If you say that people shouldn't think during a movie, you're thinking and constructing an argument while using intellectual discourse as a negative.

That's flawed and very fucked.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• I enjoyed STiD when I saw it in the cinema.

But it's fucking insulting. I never need to see it or any future Orci/Kurtzman/Abrams Star Trek film again.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
        Before people get in a huff, I'll state the case again.

If you say that people shouldn't think during a movie, you're thinking and constructing an argument while using intellectual discourse as a negative.

That's flawed and very fucked.
        I'm saying there is a difference between dissecting a movie or just being entertained due to pretty pictures.

If I actively thought about all of the plot holes or stupid bullshit in Avatar I'd fucking hate the thing (as for Star Trek, I hated it but only because it was fucking BORING and was a waste of my time...even the pretty visuals didn't help)

But since I only go as far as "Man, that would neat to use that technology to bang hot Sigourney Navi' and holy shit do the SFX look amazing" I can enjoy it for what it is. A big, dumb, fun movie. I'm not critiquing it or hoping it can enrich my life. But I'm not saying "TURN OFF BRAIN JUST BREATHE" while watching movies.

I'm saying that if someone wants to enjoy something at the base level, let them. If someone else wants to dissect and get into the themes and subtext then let them. Neither are wrong but only one will tell the other that they are stupid.

But maybe we're arguing about completely different things here. It wouldn't be the first time, hah.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Since when is Avatar flawed?
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
            I'm saying there is a difference between dissecting a movie or just being entertained due to pretty pictures.

If I actively thought about all of the plot holes or stupid bullshit in Avatar I'd fucking hate the thing (as for Star Trek, I hated it but only because it was fucking BORING and was a waste of my time...even the pretty visuals didn't help)

But since I only go as far as "Man, that would neat to use that technology to bang hot Sigourney Navi' and holy shit do the SFX look amazing" I can enjoy it for what it is. A big, dumb, fun movie. I'm not critiquing it or hoping it can enrich my life. But I'm not saying "TURN OFF BRAIN JUST BREATHE" while watching movies.

I'm saying that if someone wants to enjoy something at the base level, let them. If someone else wants to dissect and get into the themes and subtext then let them. Neither are wrong but only one will tell the other that they are stupid.

But maybe we're arguing about completely different things here. It wouldn't be the first time, hah.
            But, even passive viewing requires a construction of an internal argument to say that it's good enough for that particular viewer.

What pisses me off about the whole "turn your brain off" argument is that it views intellect as a handicap or something negative when it comes to non scholarly things. That invites a whole world of messed up shit into the fray.

That slippery slope is my WTF.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by PHEDG View Post

Fuck you, America.

Comment

• Jeff wins.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                    But, even passive viewing requires a construction of an internal argument to say that it's good enough for that particular viewer.

What pisses me off about the whole "turn your brain off" argument is that it views intellect as a handicap or something negative when it comes to non scholarly things. That invites a whole world of messed up shit into the fray.

That slippery slope is my WTF.
                    Intellect is not a handicap. People constantly talking about their intellect is.

Comment

• Back.

Point was missed.

It's not that intellect is a handicap. It's that when you use the no think argument, you automatically negate any intellectual or just forward thinking about the subject matter. If you purposefully try to stop thinking, then you're creating the greater transgression.

Whether it's Freddy Got Fingered or Lawrence of Arabia.

Don't even get me start on how stupid the term guilty pleasure is.

Either you like something or you don't. Don't try to negate your enjoyment of something with the first argument.

Comment

• Is it partly, that if someone enjoys something without truly understanding it, it makes it seem less special?

Comment

• Originally posted by PHEDG View Post
                          Is it partly, that if someone enjoys something without truly understanding it, it makes it seem less special?
                          Getting closer.

Let's try to make it even easier.

If someone enjoys something, but can't or won't suggest why they like it...their first response is to move logic from the equation. That's a big negatory.

Comment

• Which is worse? The turn my brain off argument or, the I likes what I likes argument. Or are they the same thing worded differently?
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Both are pretty rote.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                                Which is worse? The turn my brain off argument or, the I likes what I likes argument. Or are they the same thing worded differently?
                                What Russ said.

They are bad habits learned at a young age. Both involve finding ways to excuse behaviors that aren't necessary.

You think. You're a human, it happens. Even when you don't want it to happen, it happens. Coming up with a verbal excuse for it is nothing more than semantics.

Comment

Working...
                                X