Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better or worse than Identity Thief? Cos I found that to be surprisingly watchable.
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I thought the first film was pretty dull and predictable - given that we knew Katniss would survive, that robbed the whole thing of a certain amount of drama and the filmmakers didn't find a way to replace that. Here, the stakes are upped and instead of that foregone conclusion robbing the games themselves of that drama, we are introduced to a number of new contestants (albeit former winners) that we don't want to see die before the end, chief among them Jeffrey Wright and Jena Malone, doing wonders with limited screen time.

But more than that, the ideas introduced this time around are pretty ballsy for a major studio franchise. Concepts of sacrifice and celebrity are built on, but now there is revolution brewing and the war between a violent authority and non-violent protest is really played up. 20 minutes in, when an old gent is pulled in front of a crowd and shot in the head, I found myself emotionally invested in a way that the first film never made me feel and there are a number of scenes like that throughout.

The games themselves take a long time to kick off, but when they do you feel that survival for Katniss means more than just saving her own life - it will have an impact on all the districts. Francis Lawrence is a much more capable action director than Gary Ross was, so I'm glad he's sticking around for the next film(s) and he also knows how to balance the grand and the intimate, as well as push the boundaries of how tough a 12A certificate can go. The film is littered with executions, floggings and beatdowns and he's found a way to shoot the more violent deaths in a way that keeps the real violence off-screen while retaining the weight and impact necessary.

This feels like the franchise's Empire Strikes Back by the time it ends and it ends right when I wanted it to. It corrects everything that was wrong with the first film and left me eager to see the next chapter. I loved it.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
        Better or worse than Identity Thief? Cos I found that to be surprisingly watchable.

In the same vein, but not quite as good. Bateman > Bullock.
        I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I guess I'm the counterpoint because I thought Identity Thief was mostly unwatchable garbage and The Heat was great. Excellent chemistry between Bullock and McCarthy. And the Heat has a much better supporting cast, particularly with McCarthy's family.

The plot is mostly ridiculous but it's entertaining. And how they stereotype the different Federal agencies is oddly accurate.

Comment

• All this Frozen love is freaking me out. Maybe I can get my niece to go with me so I don't look creepy.

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
              I And the Heat has a much better supporting cast, particularly with McCarthy's family.
              Definitely true.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• 2 Guns - Wahlberg is charismatic as usual and fun to watch. Denzel is just Bruce Willis'ing his way through this one imho which drags it down a bit. Also the ending seems a bit to upbeat considering all the shit they went through, I mean, I get it's a buddy flick but ffs they just kind of laughed off everything. c+
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                  All this Frozen love is freaking me out. Maybe I can get my niece to go with me so I don't look creepy.
                  It's the goods, Billy. Top 10 Disney for sure. You won't regret the time spent seeing it at all.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• The Iceman. Michael Shannon was pretty on point in this. But Chris Evans was the bestest. It was a bit too glossy for my taste and I prefer the documentary on the guy more, but it's worth a watch for Shannon. It's on netflix.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Nice.....

Riddick. I want to have Katie Sackhoff's babies. That aside I enjoyed the flick, you can kind of tell there are some budget constraints but I enjoyed the follow through on the Chronicles storyline and I could see a sequel IF it had made more money.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• What B said.

She was solid in Riddick, and she kicks all sorts of ass in whatever film/TV show she's in. Check her out in Longmire... damn. And she pals around and rides Harleys with her BSG bud, Tricia Helfer.

That being said, I'm always onboard for more Riddick goodness - this latest installment was Pitch Black levels of fun.

Comment

• Johnny Tapia was also a highlight.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            It's the goods, Billy. Top 10 Disney for sure. You won't regret the time spent seeing it at all.
                            Took my son to see this w/ my wife last night. It was a pretty good Disney flick, w/ really loveable characters. My wife particularly liked Olaf the Snowman. One thing I dind't like? Waaaaaaay to goddam many musical numbers.

Comment

• and that's why I can't be bothered with Disney. GIVE UP THE MUSICAL NUMBERS. THEY ARE NOT NEEDED.
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                                and that's why I can't be bothered with Disney. GIVE UP THE MUSICAL NUMBERS. THEY ARE NOT NEEDED.
                                Yup, if Frozen is musical then I'm gonna pass.

Comment

Working...
                                X