Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIDS was an important movie for me when it came out as it made look for a bunch of different filmmakers/flicks I probably wouldn't have.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Oblivion.

Apple products are out to kill Tom Cruise.

Only a magical negro and a Lannister can show him the way back to SeaOrg, where his Russian (Ukrainian but who cares) mail order bride awaits.

Not much beyond surface ideas (albeit cool ones that could be explored to their full potential elsewhere) of shared consciousness, a soul being mass manufactured, etc.

Beautifully shot as one must come to expect now from Kosinski and co.

Characters, which are the most important thing in a story like this, are paper thin. They stand in the shadow of the visuals and never achieve complete sentience. As a result, the story develops as we all know it will, things will happen that we have seen many times before, and in the end the film fails to establish that emotional core necessary for the reasons things happen to have dramatic weight to them. It gets close once or twice thanks in large part to the bombastic score by M83, but it doesn't feel fully formed. If there had been a few more rewrites, there may have been something to it.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Oblivion is one of the most beautiful but depressingly hollow movies I've ever seen.

Comment

• American Movie. AGAIN. Love this movie. Found it on Youtube. WATCH IT HERE

Part 1

The rest are on that guy's channel.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I think I love this one almost as much as Raiders. It had the perfect send off for that character built into its DNA, a fun old-timer brigade of a supporting cast, easily the hottest Indy girl by a fucking landslide on top of another landslide on top of Stevie Nicks singing "Landslide," River Phoenix doing a spot on Ford impression, a character prologue that transcends its on-the-nose moments and delivers humor and excitement, the character coming full circle and accepting the finality to his days as a man of action with dignity, and most importantly, Nazis getting their shit slapped everywhere with extreme prejudice.

It's fun and never lapses into cynicism. Even the Lucas-brand humor here is kept to a minimum and when it does come about, it is deftly handled by the performances of the ensemble.

It's the sort of movie that is easily seen again and again with all of its enjoyment intact. A big part of it has to go to John Williams' score. It is so grand it can't help but elevate everything that happens as it plays.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
              Oblivion.

Apple products are out to kill Tom Cruise.

Only a magical negro and a Lannister can show him the way back to SeaOrg, where his Russian (Ukrainian but who cares) mail order bride awaits.

Not much beyond surface ideas (albeit cool ones that could be explored to their full potential elsewhere) of shared consciousness, a soul being mass manufactured, etc.

Beautifully shot as one must come to expect now from Kosinski and co.

Characters, which are the most important thing in a story like this, are paper thin. They stand in the shadow of the visuals and never achieve complete sentience. As a result, the story develops as we all know it will, things will happen that we have seen many times before, and in the end the film fails to establish that emotional core necessary for the reasons things happen to have dramatic weight to them. It gets close once or twice thanks in large part to the bombastic score by M83, but it doesn't feel fully formed. If there had been a few more rewrites, there may have been something to it.
              Originally posted by BillyG View Post
              Oblivion is one of the most beautiful but depressingly hollow movies I've ever seen.
              Mega Agreement Bro-fists to both of you. For a movie that tries to wax poetic about souls and how they work it's funny that it has no soul itself.
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I think I love this one almost as much as Raiders. It had the perfect send off for that character built into its DNA, a fun old-timer brigade of a supporting cast, easily the hottest Indy girl by a fucking landslide on top of another landslide on top of Stevie Nicks singing "Landslide," River Phoenix doing a spot on Ford impression, a character prologue that transcends its on-the-nose moments and delivers humor and excitement, the character coming full circle and accepting the finality to his days as a man of action with dignity, and most importantly, Nazis getting their shit slapped everywhere with extreme prejudice.

It's fun and never lapses into cynicism. Even the Lucas-brand humor here is kept to a minimum and when it does come about, it is deftly handled by the performances of the ensemble.

It's the sort of movie that is easily seen again and again with all of its enjoyment intact. A big part of it has to go to John Williams' score. It is so grand it can't help but elevate everything that happens as it plays.
                I simply do not understand people that hate Last Crusade. Soulless, fun hating, cynical fucks.

Comment

• I will never understand it.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Last Crusade is probably my favorite of the Indiana Jones films, followed very closely by Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was, until Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a perfect coda to the initial trilogy. Wonderful character beats, the interaction between Connery and Ford, the general flow of the story, the action sequences, the score... just a perfect old-school adventure flick.

The riding off into the sunset scene at the end... wonderful way to have ended the trilogy.

Comment

• RAiders always wins for me. But I prefer Crusade to Temple due to the fact it's fun.

Comment

• The Struzan poster is the best thing to come out of Doom.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                          I simply do not understand people that hate Last Crusade. Soulless, fun hating, cynical fucks.
                          Now, I love Crusade as much as Raiders. I mean, Raiders is a much better movie (it's a masterpiece, really), but Crusade is jsut so much fucking fun. And it's a good movie. I still like Temple of Doom, but the darker tone really fucks up the beat of the flick.
                          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Raiders is, for me, one of the best films ever made. Top to bottom, flawless. It's also one of the most formative movies for me. And Temple and Last Crusade are classics as well, but both with flaws. I like that Temple is such a hard swing from Raiders or Crusade, and fuck Lucas and Spielberg for basically disowning it. It's dark as shit, but it's still fun and cheeky. And Crusade is such a perfect adventure movie, and silly enough to let you know they're in on the joke and understand it's silly. Not like the shit pile that shall not be named.

Comment

• Now I like Temple, but younger? It scared me as a kid.
                              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Fuck yes it was scary. My dad would run up to us as kids and grab our chest and do the chant and I would cry my ass off thinking he was gonna rip my heart out.

Comment

Working...
                                X