Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown

A good 2 hours of entertainment. Loved the ex-Stasi spy, and would have loved to see more of him, but still, not bad at all. Neeson delivers a Neeson performance, as usual.

Hatfield and McCoys

Good production value, great actors, but holy shit is that a boring story.
    Last edited by Martin; 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM.
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Ben, watch Juno. Fuck the "too hip" nonsense. There's a couple cringe inducing lines, but it's fucking teenagers. Of course the shit they say is cringe inducing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Unknown

A good 2 hours of entertainment. Loved the ex-Stasi spy, and would have loved to see more of him, but still, not bad at all. Neeson delivers a Neeson performance, as usual.
        Found it to be pretty bland and downright stupid by the end.
        Originally posted by BillyG View Post
        Ben, watch Juno. Fuck the "too hip" nonsense. There's a couple cringe inducing lines, but it's fucking teenagers. Of course the shit they say is cringe inducing.
        It felt like Theron listening in on teen girls' chat in Young Adult was a nod to Cody writing Juno. I shall indeed give it a spin.
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
          It felt like Theron listening in on teen girls' chat in Young Adult was a nod to Cody writing Juno. I shall indeed give it a spin.
          Pretty much.

Comment

• Super 8.

I really wish I had seen this on the big screen.

The kids they cast are more or less amazing, especially Fanning and the one playing Baby Orson Welles.

Too bad about Gums McDumbface though. That pyromaniac is just hard to look at without wanting to either cry, vomit, or punch. Or a combination of all three.

Anyway, the first hour is a really solid throwback to golden-era The Beard movies. The second half is much more modern with the whole race to find Alice, and seams begin to show once the alien is revealed (I really wish they had gone with a design that wasn't so busy as the CGI really hurts the whole concept), but for the most part the cast and their interactions/reactions kept me engaged (too bad Gums lives).

Ron Eldard is Roger Daltry. And Kyle Chandler reminded me of that awful gif of the pedovangelist eating that kid's shirt when he reunites with his son (up to that point, he had done a solid job as a closed off dad who would fit right in with the absentee fathers of The Beard's filmography). Jesus christ that take was not good. For anyone.

I really liked the faux babby's first film at the end as well. I hoped against hope that Babby Orson would begin drunkenly shilling shitty table wine, but it was just not meant to be. At least Gums died in every scene.

Forgot to mention Giacchino's score: emotionally manipulative as ever. You're doin' a heckuvajob, Mikey.
            Last edited by Captain Russ; 06-30-2012, 02:19 PM.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Ok, a few things. Firstly, that pedo guy is one of the worst things I've ever seen. What the fuck is going on there? Also, Super 8 was good until it became about the alien. After that, I checked out. The kids were fine and Kyle Chandler needs to play Robert Forster's son in something, but overall the film just didn't really do anything for me.

Moonrise Kingdom

Really great. I think the climax is a little weak, but the denouement is strangely moving so it balances out. Apart from that tiny, teeny gripe, I laughed consistently throughout and enjoyed it a lot more than The Darjeeling Limited. I don't know if I'd watch it again in a hurry, but its certainly one of the funniest of Anderson's films. I kinda loved it.

Great to see Harvey Keitel again too, who looks amazing for a guy in his 70s. And the kids are really good.
              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                Super 8.

I really wish I had seen this on the big screen.

The kids they cast are more or less amazing, especially Fanning and the one playing Baby Orson Welles.

Too bad about Gums McDumbface though. That pyromaniac is just hard to look at without wanting to either cry, vomit, or punch. Or a combination of all three.

Anyway, the first hour is a really solid throwback to golden-era The Beard movies. The second half is much more modern with the whole race to find Alice, and seams begin to show once the alien is revealed (I really wish they had gone with a design that wasn't so busy as the CGI really hurts the whole concept), but for the most part the cast and their interactions/reactions kept me engaged (too bad Gums lives).

Ron Eldard is Roger Daltry. And Kyle Chandler reminded me of that awful gif of the pedovangelist eating that kid's shirt when he reunites with his son (up to that point, he had done a solid job as a closed off dad who would fit right in with the absentee fathers of The Beard's filmography). Jesus christ that take was not good. For anyone.

I really liked the faux babby's first film at the end as well. I hoped against hope that Babby Orson would begin drunkenly shilling shitty table wine, but it was just not meant to be. At least Gums died in every scene.

Forgot to mention Giacchino's score: emotionally manipulative as ever. You're doin' a heckuvajob, Mikey.
                I love the hell outta this flick. So much.
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• MK was really good. Like a Saturday Evening Post painting come to life.

The only thing that I recall not gelling well were some of the cutaway gags (especially the one in Social Services' scene that cuts away to the orphanage newspaper clipping and just hovers there for what seems like decades).

I barely recognized Harv. The Grover Cleveland look suits him.

This was the first time in a long while I've appreciated Bruce's work. He even seemed to not be sleepwalking at points, maybe even enjoying himself. It scared me. His delivery fit quite well into the Andersonian film universe.

Bill and Fran were also great. As was Balaban as Narrator.

Wes played up the shock of the more violent moments (of which there were a surprising number) very well. I remember muttering "holy shit" a few times in disbelief. The kids were indeed awesome. The kid on the dirtbike was probably the best, but they were all pretty good.

Really enjoyed this one.
                  Last edited by Captain Russ; 06-30-2012, 05:37 PM.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• 21 Jumpstreet. Really liked it. Tatum was hilarious as was Hill. Loved the cameos.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                      21 Jumpstreet. Really liked it. Tatum was hilarious as was Hill. Loved the cameos.
                      "This is what you nerds do all day? I love this science shit!" Yeah Tatum kills in Jumpstreet. The whole movie is just damned funny and enjoyable.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Korean Jesus for the win.

Comment

• Yes. Also the on the nose bits about hollywood remakes were great too.
                          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Kids of Dudes.

An impromptu rewatch of the remarkable Cuaron film.

The main thing that stood out to me this time around was the incredible sound editing and mixing. The forest ambush was so fantastic, from the weaving in and out of The Kills song still playing to Theo's ringing ears, to the shattering glass, to the marauding hill people, I had not moved beyond the emotion of the scene before yesterday to really examine the mix. It is astounding.

Same goes for the more quiet or comparatively serene moments, like when Jasper tells Kee and Miriam about Theo and Julian's baby and his loss of faith versus chance (just the set up of it as an eavesdropped conversation lent itself to being a beautifully orchestrated scene, top to bottom), or the night of the delivery in Bexhill.

All around it is still an amazing film to behold.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Took me a while to get to the point that many did when it came out, but I'm comfortable saying its pretty much a masterpiece.

Comment

• Agreed.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X