Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of good old fashioned filmmaking, just watched The Straight Story for the first time in years.

Might could be one of my favourite films.
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• The Grey.

To discuss it in terms of story is to spoil it.

Spoiler: So without further ado... 
      There is no way to view this without a certain amount of bias in terms of Neeson's character, even the smallest amount of sympathy is cast in his direction, both in character and in simply being Liam Neeson in a film portraying a character who shares a similar tragic background. Sure, this is just an obvious aspect to cast ones eyes upon, but it nonetheless is there, and the rawness of several moments is made all the more real for the viewer who admits to being a casual voyeur to celebrity.

There is some incredibly graphic, shocking stuff that waylays the audience through the running time, and it just gets worse as the numbers of survivors dwindle. The confluence of bleak setting, protagonist, and situation create a climate in which one roots for the characters, against better judgment and the obvious end of line that awaits each of the living.

What I found most refreshing was the commanding performance of Neeson in that action hero mould. He and the capable cast surrounding him elevate the material to a truly grim and realistic bent that is further pushed by the verité photography and the absolutely brutal sound mix.

The hallucinatory last moments of several characters as well as Neeson's "call to god" moment were, I felt, unnecessary and distracted from the tale being told (the viewer already empathizes with these people, why be cheap about it when you've shown no quarter up to this point? Huh, Joey?). Not to get into some sort of theological debate or anything, just that if these occurences were excised, the film would be largely the same in tone and intent.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it.
      Last edited by Captain Russ; 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Also in in televised interviews, both Dermont and Liam were misinformed and specifically said there was no cgi involved with the wolves, just puppetry and actual wolves. Which is completely untrue. It didn't ruin it for me but I was looking forward to the challenge.
        Last edited by PHEDG; 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• I hardly recognized Mulroney.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Watched Drive over the weekend. Wasn't bad and wasn't OMG. The greatest part of the movie is the fact they made Albert Brooks scary and the worst part of the flick was Ron Pearlman and his track suits.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• The jewiness of Pearlman was awesome. You're on notice.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• He was a real human bean.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Sometimes I love Pearlman and then sometimes he seems to be phoning it in super hoard.
                  "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• He was a fucking cartoon in this.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• He's the Easter Island-headed version of Nic Cage: he'll take any paycheck and your mileage may vary.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                        He's the Easter Island-headed version of Nic Cage: he'll take any paycheck and your mileage may vary.
                        Nailed it!
                        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                          Watched Drive over the weekend. Wasn't bad and wasn't OMG. The greatest part of the movie is the fact they made Albert Brooks scary and the worst part of the flick was Ron Pearlman and his track suits.
                          Thank you. I agree, it was GOOD...it frankly needed one or two more driving sequences in it. Brooks absolutely got robbed on an Oscar nomination.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Thought it was incredibly overhyped, but it wasn't a bad flick. Just a decent one.

Comment

• With you 100%.
                              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Matt and Rerb: You're both fucking crazy.

Matt's got the age factor as proven by his sig line. Rerb...this is just disappointing.
                                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Working...
                                X