Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick rundown of the last week's viewing:

Lantana - less a thriller than a really solid drama for grown-ups with compelling, complex characters and a mystery in the second half. Excellent film, if small-scale, with career best work from Anthony LaPaglia. Barbara Hershey continues to be hot.

All the X-Men films (bar Wolverine) - starting with First Class which is so good for 90% of its run time, its annoying that a couple of the characters are pretty lame (Angel and Banshee) and they feel the need to throw in silly lines like, "I'll start going bald soon!". Aside from these minor gripes though, its a really fun film and sets up a new leaf in the franchise very handsomely. I think Cappy has more charm (I've got such a weakness for Joe Johnston films, sorry), but this is clearly the best superhero film of 2011.

The Singer films are just great. X2 is probably not my favourite comic book movie any more, buts its still one of the best. But what surprised me is how not bad The Last Stand is. I think if you don't begrudge Ratner making it, its a really enjoyable and pretty huge scale superhero film and it has Vaughn's fingerprints all over it. Its really trying hard to please all the people and throws in so many characters, its amazing how many of them are well-represented. What saddles the film a bit is that this had the potential to be the best possible X-flick ever and it doesn't really do the Phoenix storyline justice. But I honestly disagree with anyone that writes the film off. Its a lot of fun and has some of the best effects of the series.

Taken as a trilogy, its pretty damn solid and I only realised this time that Mystique is so clearly my favourite character. She's badass, but never comes off as evil, she's got an awesome power that the filmmakers continue to find inventive ways of illustrating throughout the series and she seems to really enjoy fucking with people and fucking shit up. Not to mention, she looks like Rebecca Romijn, who brings a lot of character to what could have just been an excuse to have tits in a PG-13 (see January Jones in First Class for an example of failing at this). If Last Stand commits one unforgivable sin, its that Mystique disappears from the story in the first third.

I've taken some time off work for my birthday, so this weekend I'm gonna try and cram in Haywire, War Horse, The Artist and Shame. Wish me luck!
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I still thoroughly hate Last Stand, but yeah, the first 2 are great. Your take on Mystique is good.

The Artist is good (Dujardin, who I know you know and like, is exceptional, as usual), but Haywire is GODDAMN.
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Gina Carano gives me so much wood, I'm not sure I should go see it with an audience. At least not without a pair of these:

I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Her acting is ok, but she's action-star material.

Comment

• I wonder when she'll unveil her pectorali.

Comment

• Medical terminology = instant arousal
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Given more time (and getting involved from the start with the writers instead of inheriting Vaughn's cast and story), Ratner would have made a much better film with The Last Stand. Of that I have no doubt.

As it stands, it's watchable as Hell if you're following it as a stand alone X-Men film. My best friend thinks of it as a live action version of the early 90s cartoon. Watching as the third in a film series following a solid but "Set-Up: the Movie" first and balls-out awesome second installment, then yeah it's disappointing to see how rushed (read: lazy) it comes to the resolutions of the many characters.
                Originally posted by Ari
                The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• I remember laughing like hell when Magneto starts moving the bridge and stops at night.

CONTINUITY ERROR!

I loved when Professor X exploded in juices.... or Cyclop dying, making place to the horrible Halle Berry as a "leader".
                  Last edited by Martin; 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• THE WRONG X-KID DIED
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Technically, Scott didn't die. His face got acne while kissing Jean, he screamed off camera and disappeared.
                      Originally posted by Ari
                      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Still, what a god awful movie. It shit on the previous 2 good movies, and Wolverine just buries the body.

At least First Class saves the honor.

Comment

• Wolverine was a boss regardless of the half-assed Phoenix storyline.

Beyond the Herrderr Berry asshattery, the lame-ass Magneto army was the worst part. I mean, Porcupine Man?

First Class was good until the terrible shoehorning of continuity occurs at the end. It is all unearned and just happens because it's supposed to happen (I CAN'T FEEL MAH LEGS /Major Payne). It's fucking dumb.
                          Last edited by Captain Russ; 01-20-2012, 04:16 PM.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• What the fuck you gotta go and unleash the Kornheiser on us for?!

Comment

• I meant the Wolverine movie, Ross.

And I agree for First Class. Beside that part in the end.

Comment

• That wasn't a movie. That was a snuff film. I saw nothing but the wholesale murder of potential. Over and over. For two fucking hours.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X