Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Help". Ehhh, it didn't grab me. I know it was supposed to. I know it was supposed to be about something very important. But it seemed like it focused less on the black housekeepers and more on what a bitch Bryce Dallas Howard is, or what a cool independent chick Emma Stone was. It was supposed to be about the maids - that was the intent. But it was really about the rich white women, and I just thought the whole movie missed the point.
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Sounds like it played on white guilt just fine. You're supposed to go in for that life lesson and they swindle you with rich honkey fantasies.

It's all they know how to write (or choose to adapt as the case is here).
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I just felt like the black maids were incidental characters, while the white women wound up being the focus the story, and that's not how it was presented to us in all the marketing and trailers, etc.

Here's a totally hypothetical example - if this movie ever came up for any Oscars for acting (which I don't think it will, but bear with me for a sec), it would be Emma Stone or Bryce Dallas Howard up for the big Best Actress award, and Viola Davis or Octavia Spencer would be up for Best Supporting Actress. Because even though the story was supposed to be about Aibileen and Minny, that didn't really happen - Skeeter and Hilly were clearly the stars of the show.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Faster

Started strong, but just didn't really go anywhere. The British guy playing the killer was awful and when he's emoting opposite Maggie Grace, you've got real problems. Not only is his story not all that interesting, it ends up being completely incidental. The Rock looks great and this could have been something of a slam dunk for him, but the material is just lost tonally. A missed opportunity.
          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I liked Faster for what it was while acknowledging it could have been a shit ton better.

Girl with the Dragon tattoo - Really enjoyed this, so much so that I'm wondering if the two sequels can live up. Anyone able to answer that?
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I haven't seen Hornet's Nest, but The Girl Who Played With Fire is a more standard thriller in comparison. Worth watching though.
              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Thanks for looking out. I'll check it out and if I beat you to Hornet's nest I'll let you know my thoughts.
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Josh: FIRE and HORNETS NEST are a definite step.down.in quality, but they're worth watching. They don't really work as standalone films, though. It's like watching part one and two of a mini series, which is appropriate considering that they were both made for TV. Have them both ready to go and lower your expectations a bit and you'll be fine.

THE HELP: I agree with Lisa for the most part. My main issue is that Bryce Dallas Howard's acting is terrible...somebody told her the film was a farce, so she played the entire movie in Mel Brooks mode. She's laughably bad.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• LOTR:TTT (extended)

Wow. This was my first time watching the extended cut of this entry. It's much improved, as it restores some emotional connection to a film that is largely about combat. Fuck do these look good on blue ray.
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• 30 Minutes or Less. Worth a watch if you're bored but nothing special. McBride and Swardson provide some laughs, Fred Ward is always nice to have in a flick and Michael Pena still needs to get more work.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                        LOTR:TTT (extended)

Wow. This was my first time watching the extended cut of this entry. It's much improved, as it restores some emotional connection to a film that is largely about combat. Fuck do these look good on blue ray.
                        Two Towers is by far the biggest improvement over theatricals. It's so good on the EE.

Cyrus was a good flick. Too bad nobody will get recognition for it.

30 Minutes or Less was half as good as it should have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                          Two Towers is by far the biggest improvement over theatricals. It's so good on the EE.

Cyrus was a good flick. Too bad nobody will get recognition for it.
                          In agreement on both points, though the Fellowship EE is still my favourite overall film.

Comment

• For sure, FOTR: EE is probably my second favorite film, period.

Comment

• FOTR is, by far, my favorite of the trilogy. I don't want to say that the other two get 'bogged down' by combat, but the story definitely gets pushed aside in favor of spectacle.

Comment

• The Two Towers has my favorite moments in the whole longhouses in Kiwiland aspect (Theoden is the fuckin' horsemaster, son), but also has the love triangle of Frodo, Sam and Gollum's crackheaded self which kicks my enjoyment in the shins every time. Nevermind the ents and Pippin being worthless, those three dingbats suck most of the life out of what was a rollicking LARPer's wet dream (barring the taters conversation).

It has to be said, even though it is an obvious observation, but Sean Bean does so much with so little time in the trilogy. It'd be much less of a series without his portrayal of Boromir.
                                Last edited by Captain Russ; 12-11-2011, 12:00 PM.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X