Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Avatar was better than just visuals.
    Well said, sir.

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
    I feel like Avatar is becoming the next Star Wars in terms of misdirected geek rage, but I cannot agree with this point enough.

I GET why people don't like it, but I love it and genuinely think its a great film. It works emotionally for me, regardless of how rote the story and characters are. I really, really think its Cameron's masterpiece. Throw hyperbole anger at me all you want, I could write an essay about why this is so. Auteur theory totally supports me on this.
    Blue-handed high-fives all round, gents.

I don't think it's Cameron's masterpiece, though. It's not as involving as some of his other films, but it's not nearly as bad as his many detractors would have you believe. It's not even close to the bad stratosphere. There are people who will give technically poor films a pass - truly boring stuff it's a slog to sit through - just because it's moderately entertaining during action scenes or it has some girl they like in it, yet they'll try to do a Begbie on Avatar, a genuinely ground-breaking, epic film. It's ludicrous.

James Cameron is a visionary filmmaker, not a director whose studio says he's a visionary because he makes flashy empty vessels. Certain people (usually genre-friendly movie fans) are biased towards very good animation because of what it is, just the same way they're biased against Cameron because he's Cameron. It's oversimplifying this to say it's a kind of charity, but, essentially, they heap praise on films that, they feel, will be given short shrift due to their status as "cartoons." Sometimes, I think they let this run away with their heads.

I think The Incredibles is great - it's entertaining, technically lovely, and it features Jason Lee - but I don't think it's at the Avatar level, and that has nothing to do with it being animated. It has an emotional edge over its live-action counterpart, yes, and that's what people will seize on as they circle Jake Sully's twitching form, baying for blue blood.
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Just to be clear, that is in no way a Begbie-esque rant. I simply find it amazing that this double-standard exists re: Cameron. I'm only adding this little P.S. because I'm aware I sometimes come off a bit aggro in longer posts; this is not the case.

Thank you and good evening.
      "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I will say that the director's cut of AVATAR fixes most of the issues that I has with the theatrical release. I enjoy it but don't love it. For me, his masterpiece is THE ABYSS. It has the most emotional impact, the best acting, and the overall best story.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        Originally posted by Martin
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• When I said his masterpiece, I just meant that Avatar represents the culmination of the techniques and themes that he has spent his career developing.

I still think The Terminator is his best film.
          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Oh, OK. Sorry, Ben. I see what you mean, and that's absolutely spot-on as far as I'm concerned. It's not that I think Avatar couldn't be considered his best film for those reasons; I just know it personally wouldn't be my favourite.

The thing is, Matt, I'm not even that ravenous about it. I really, really like it - and love certain sequences/moments. Only the emotional spark of his earlier works is lacking, although I think a lot of people forget (conveniently or otherwise) how fantastic Zoe Saldana is in it. It just amuses me how many armchair auteurs feel the need to eviscerate it when there are so many other films more deserving of that treatment. Plus, as Ben said, there is an essay's worth of reasons why they're way wrong.

It's not about taste or "this/that film is/isn't for me." It's about recognizing that someone like James Cameron is too good a storyteller, filmmaker, and innovator to be treated like Zack Snyder. Pure and simple. It would be a boring planet if we all agreed on everything, but just because I don't enjoy Beyonce doesn't mean she's a bad singer/entertainer.

Comment

• Avatar is great, Terminator is greater, Aliens is weak sauce.

SO SAYETH I.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                A movie with The Underminer would be so awesome.
                yersssssss
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Abe Smashington View Post
                  Aliens is weak sauce.
                  Originally posted by Ari
                  The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• heh

Comment

• Abatap would be proud of a large contingent of this forum.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• We love the Russians.

Comment

• Watched Full Metal Jacket on Saturday. I had forgotten how good this movie is and how pointless it makes the Vietnam war look.
                          <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• And how good Eskimo pussy tastes!
                            Originally posted by Ari
                            The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
                              And how good Eskimo pussy tastes!
                              Real good! Good for me! Good for you!
                              <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• Do you feel dizzy?

Comment

Working...
                                X