Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Martin View Post

Simple basic human emotion, really.
    Basic tactics...

If it moves, you kill it. Period.

Comment

• ...or that....
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Forgot to bring it up, but I did make my Happy Feet 2 thing.

Yeah, it's amazing visually. It's just that there is no point to it. It's not bad, it just doesn't have a point.

J. Edgar still sucks donkey dick. I'm hoping to get a full review done before I leave, but I don't see that happening. MW3 calls me.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Happy Feet was boring as shit. Surf's Up was so much better. Won't bother with the 2nd.
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• HAPPY FEET...SLEEPY EYES. Disliked it immensely ...will not see the sequel.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• You guys know me - I thought Happy Feet would be right up my alley. I got through about 20 minutes of it before I was bored to tears. I'm not bothering with the sequel either. Yes, you heard that right - the woman with the avatar of a fluffy cat wearing a tiara was bored with an adorable dancing penguin movie.
              2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                You're right, Bobby, and your tutor is incredibly wrong....
                Originally posted by Martin View Post
                That scene you mentioned was simply showing how circumstances affect one's moral compass.... Simple basic human emotion, really.
                Cheers, peeps! I'm glad we all agree on this one. I remember feeling weird in that lecture because our tutor's comments went down a treat with most of my classmates. Granted, you're always going to get a few pseudo-intellectual second years turning their noses up at stuff as emotionally ugly as that; they think they're enlightened liberals because they buy The Guardian once a week or something.

This felt more scathing than the norm, though. This felt like a test of some kind, like our moral fortitude would be determined by our reaction to that clip. Either you're of sound mind and you think anyone who can understand the emotions involved (not condone, but simply understand) is a boring, probably corrupt "normie," or you're one of the kewl kids. Decide now by laughing/not laughing at my disparaging remarks.

If it happened during a seminar instead of a lecture, I like to think I would've gone "err, actually no. That's not strictly true. Furthermore, Irvin Kershner directed The Empire Strikes Back, not George Lucas as your lecture handout from last week erroneously stated. Although it has since emerged Lucas shot material deep in post-production, including a scene featuring Joe Johnston and artist Ralph McQuarrie to round out the Echo Base sequence, Empire is Kershner's film."

You couldn't really get away with that kind of thing in a lecture though. That would've been like going to see Henry Rollins do spoken word and debating the validity of one of his points.
                "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• eXistenZ

Despite all its flaws, I found a lot to like about this. It sure took its time getting me interested, though; I'd say I was on the fence about even finishing it until around 30/40 minutes in.

The meta aspect where Cronenberg enjoys poking fun at thrillers/games is nice, and I really dug Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance (she's one of my favourites... and looked fantastic.) However, the abundance of Cronenbergian character names/indulgences - Hugo Carlaw, D'Arcy Nader - and preposterous accents - Chris Eccleston, Ian Holm - didn't quite work.

The effects were so pulp-cheap they were endearing (and apt, in the context of the film) so I really got on board with the creepy/lecherous tone. I suppose that was also appropriate considering the whole pervy video game background subtext invoked by Allegra, a riff on the nympho game pixie dream girl.
                  "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Always meant to see that one, Bobby. I've heard mixed on it but those that love of REALLY love it.
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• That movie is fucking amazing.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• It's definitely worth checking out, Matt. The discussion of reality vs. unreality, like Inception, is really engaging; and it's fun to see that sort of topic handled through the prism of computer games, especially 90's computer games. Plus, seeing as it's Cronenberg, you don't get any of the bombast that sort of thing normally entails - see Inception. It has this really grimy, sexualized tone that, while unpleasant at times, certainly crafts a rich atmosphere that papers over the budgetary cracks quite well.

I also cannot stress enough how attractive Jennifer Jason Leigh is in it. I really hope Tim, our other resident Leigh-enthusiast, appreciates this as much as I do.

Comment

• Make that three...she's one of those ACTRESSES THAT GET NAKED. God bless em ...

Comment

• Tooth gun and Gus = Nuff said
                            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• FLESH AND BLOOD...that's the good for a lot of JJL skin. Good flick, too. Rent it sometime and get you Hauer on.

Comment

• Sorry, Matt. I forgot you were a fan, too! Thanks for the flick tip, by the way. Never seen that movie. I think she looks adorable in Greenberg. My weakness for girls with glasses strikes again.

Yeah, I liked the seaweed gun as well, Rob. The movie is filled with great little quirks and throwaway lines like that. The "may I recommend you try the Chinese Restaurant in the forest?" (paraphrased?) line cracked me up. That moment, probably more than any, convinced me this is a film for people who know the joys of walking up to every single part of a static background and clicking x to see what it says/if there are any items there.

Comment

Working...
                                X