Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
    There Will Be Blood

.... Its a simple story, writ large in the boldest and the finest strokes imaginable.
    Great assessment, Ben. I love it as well.

I think some film fans are probably inclined to prefer Blood to No Country simply because the former is less "accessible" (read: less action-oriented) than the latter. Although, for me, that's a silly way to look at two very different, yet equally masterful films.

While we're on the subject of 2007 and cherished films in general, the only "prestige" title from that group I didn't love was The Assassination of Jesse James. I didn't find Blood slow in the least, but this just never clicked for me. I actually never finished it. Probably just started watching it at the wrong time or something though (see: Black Dynamtiegate.)

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Glorious.
    Good man! I will happily defend that film till I'm - dare I go here? Oh, why not - blue in the face.

*I'm sorry. So very sorry.*
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• My son LOVES Avatar. It's the blue thing I guess.
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
        While we're on the subject of 2007 and cherished films in general, the only "prestige" title from that group I didn't love was The Assassination of Jesse James. I didn't find Blood slow in the least, but this just never clicked for me. I actually never finished it. Probably just started watching it at the wrong time or something though (see: Black Dynamtiegate.)
        It's an amazing film if you can get into it.

It is incredibly depressing, but no less impactful or insightful regarding American myths, their necessity and their ultimately fraudulent origins. And all of it is examined through the eyes of a delusional, arrogant famewhore.
        Last edited by Captain Russ; 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Dirty Harry

First time I've seen it in 20-25 years, so basically the first time I've ever seen it. The blood is laughable. I LOVE IT. This movie is basically the Rick Perry wet dream.

Currently watching The Wild Bunch. Looks amazing on BD.

Comment

• Paul Kearsey is much more fun. Death Wish 3 is the Perry Dream.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
              It's an amazing film if you can get into it.

It is incredibly depressing, but no less impactful or insightful regarding American myths, their necessity and their ultimately fraudulent origins. And all of it is examined through the eyes of a delusional, arrogant famewhore.
              We made it 40 mins into that flick and turned it off. Just not for us.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I am sad, but not surprised by this revelation.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Everytime I've tried to watch Jesse James the damn dvd is unplayable. And it's amazing to see who is in that movie. Shit, even the city planner from Parks & Rec is in it.

For some reason, I keep thinking that you could pair that movie with Ride with the Devil where Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays the hottest piece of white trash in existence.
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                    Everytime I've tried to watch Jesse James the damn dvd is unplayable.
                    I am sad and surprised by this revelation.

Additionally, I think Ride with the Devil would be more in line with a double bill with Cold Mountain.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                      TWBB may be the best American film of the last decade; Jesse James is my favourite.

But yeah, '07 was almost too much. Into The Wild, Zodiac and Gone Baby Gone are all incredible and - while its no less incredible - I prefer them all to No Country. It really is a great film and I love it, but I actually prefer A Serious Man. That's not a question of quality, mind. Just taste.
                      Originally posted by Martin View Post

Glorious. Yes, the plot is classic, but holy shit is that the standard Blu-Ray to compare all the others. I really don't get why they've cut Sully's opening sequence. It really grounds him way more as a character.
                      Absolutely the most incredible BD my TV has been subjected to so far (very very close behind are Speed Racer and How to Train Your Dragon). And I unabashedly love the film more with each viewing. That opening gives Jake's character so much more credibility, its a crime to the film as a whole to have excised it. The other extra scenes I don't really care so much about either way, but the Earth scenes are crucial.
                      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Just watched Limitless.

Another really satisfying, mid-level film, of which we have had so many this year. Cooper was really rather great in this and the film was fun and went just far enough with its premise without passing the breaking point of credulity. I loved the Gondry-esque zooms through the city and the editing and rhythm of the first 2/3rds was hypnotic. Abbie Cornish - no idea who she is, but if you take young Charlize and young Kidman and smash them together, there she is. I could look at her for quite some time. De Niro did enough to get a pass, though Cooper really owns the scenes between them - and that's not as depressing as it may sound. A fun film, very well made. Perfect Friday night fodder.

Up next: more promising mid-level beefcake-starring fun - The Lincoln Lawyer.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• You're are in for a good time, Ben. Lincoln Lawyer is a solid movie, not spectacular, but solid.
                          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Heard lots of good things on Limitless, and the wife really wants to see it. Lincoln Lawyer is ten times better than it had any right to be. Solid and entertaining film. I think you'll dig it.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                              Abbie Cornish - no idea who she is
                              The one with the sunburned ass in A Good Year, aka Crowe and Scott on Holiday.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I watched Limitless while on vacation - I thought it was pretty good and left you with the unanswered "is he or isn't he" question at the end.

I cannot wait to see the Lincoln Lawyer as it's star is one of my favorites. I think that Matthew needs to go back to these types of movies vs. the chick flicks (gasp I can't believe I just said that). One of my favorite movies of his was A Time To Kill (and of course, Dazed and Confused... alright, alright, alright).
                                If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

Working...
                                X