Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *GOLFCLAP*
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Love The General, Ben. Nice one. Voight's Irish accent is all over the show, but it simply doesn't matter. Gleeson is imperious from start to finish.

I did a bit of a nostalgia trip yesterday and watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm over breakfast. It blew me away how well it holds up. The animation still looks great and the script is surprisingly tight, not to mention rich with emotionally-rounded characters for a kiddies' animation. Exhibit "A":

"Looks like there's a new face in Gotham and soon his name will be all over town... to say nothing of his legs, and feet, and spleen, and head..."

Whoa. I didn't remember that. The one thing I was confident about, the voice acting, was even better than I remembered. And not just the real star of the show (not Bats.) Everything about this took me back to Primary School and loving every second of The Animated Series, collecting as many of Bats's rogues gallery as I could, sketching my favourites... good times.

The final set-piece showdown at the abandoned Fairground was fantastic, especially to look at. Love all the little touches like the Joker-Jets and the demented Housewifebot. It started coming back to me as I was watching like remembering which song comes next on an album you've not heard in years.
      "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I've got that on DVD and every time I've put it on since I got it (about 3 years ago), I seem to switch off at about the 30 minute mark, so I haven't seen it through since I was about 16. I should remedy that.
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• It's well worth it, Ben. I noticed LOVEFilM added it (and some of the other Batman animated movies) to their Watch Online collection and just really fancied checking it out again. Fairly zips by.
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• What I re-watched I loved. Its going on the shelf.
            I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
              Love The General, Ben. Nice one. Voight's Irish accent is all over the show, but it simply doesn't matter. Gleeson is imperious from start to finish.
              I started that a while ago and for some reason never finished it. I need to.

Check out Gleeson in The Guard. It's his Matador performance.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
                I've been meaning to check it out. It looked good, and I fucking loved The Matador and The Guard is made by the brother of Martin McDonagh*, so it's a must see.

*Speaking of which, that guy is coming up with Seven Psychopaths. Attached to it: Colin Farrell (who killed in In Bruges), Mickey Rourke, Christopher Fucking Walken and Sam Rockwell. Duh.
                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• OK, I went back and finished Black Dynamite today. I was wrong. So wrong. It really found its feet around the half hour mark and all the slow-start niggles I had melted away in a sea of hilarious monikers and treacherous kung fu. Could definitely go back for more, as with Hobo.

Serious kudos on the cinematography in particular. Such a brilliant snapshot of that scuzzy 70's style.

Also, started Top Secret! Very promising so far.

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                  What I re-watched I loved. Its going on the shelf.
                  Excellent! The Mr. Freeze animated movie Sub Zero isn't up to the level of Phantasm, but I also enjoyed it. Nice to have Robin and Batgirl (who's really pushed to the forefront) in the mix too.

Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
                  I started that a while ago and for some reason never finished it. I need to.

I missed that when it was going like gangbusters in the cinema here. But it's coming to home video soon so I'll hopefully check it out then. Thought it looked really good. And Brendan is normally great value.

But yes, The General only gets more fantastic as it goes on. It would please me greatly if you finished it.

Comment

• Bobby, your previous post:

"You have chosen... wisely."

Glad you stuck with BD, Bobby, and you enjoyed it. Top Secret should knock your socks off, too.

Agree on Sub-Zero, as well as Mask of the Phantasm. Batman done right!

Have yet to see either The Guard or The General - might try for both this weekend, as I love me some Gleeson.

Comment

• Glad you gave it another go Bobby. BD is the man. Watch out for Crenshaw Pete and his hot coathangers.

As to the Mask of the Phantasm, Shirley Walker never gets enough credit for that score. Great stuff on all levels of production really, but her work just elevated the picture to an epic, operatic level. Love that movie with all of my nerdheart.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                        Glad you stuck with BD, Bobby, and you enjoyed it. Top Secret should knock your socks off, too.

Agree on Sub-Zero, as well as Mask of the Phantasm. Batman done right!

Have yet to see either The Guard or The General - might try for both this weekend, as I love me some Gleeson.
                        Thanks, Tim! I made a point of going back to it after the conversation the other day. I knew in my heart of hearts the movie wouldn't get that kind of love from trusted people if it didn't have something going for it. And so it proved to be. Balls and I usually fall very much in line with this so I'm glad that order was restored to the universe in that sense.

I did sort of a mini-Bat marathon (or "Batathon", if you will) with Phantasm, SubZero, and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - which had the slightly less catchy title Batman of the Future here for some reason - over two days. I'd never seen any of the Batman Beyond stuff before. Enjoyed it, but I prefer the look and character dynamics of the classic Animated Series. SubZero underlined my belief that Tom Atkins should have played Commisioner Gordon from the 80's through to the 90's.

Strongly recommend The Guard as well. When conversation elsewhere on the boards rages over a debatable gangster film, which arguably gets a lot more love than it deserves, it would be the perfect time to check out a wonderful, much gritter addition to the canon that's really more of a drama that just happens to be about a mobster and his life rather than it is a "gangster film."

E.T.A. Thanks, Balls! I also forgot to add that I loved the Scarecrow 2.0 goon in Return of the Joker. His Chris Walken-esque line readings were cracking me up. Wish he had more time for quips in the vein of: "I am sorry... Bat-man... but we must clip... your wings."
                        Last edited by Bobby Bear; 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• If you want a great unintentional comedy, then Abduction is the movie for you!
                          Originally posted by Ari
                          The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Why did you watch it, Tim?

BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• You want an example of its amazing writing (so good to make the Black List)?

Lautner doesn't figure out the little kid from the Missing Children site is him until he notices *Gasp!* he used to wear the same tee-shirt too! But it isn't until he sees the shirt has the same blood stain as from the picture. Because his adoptive parents totally didn't think to wash the clothes he came with over the last 10-15 years and said, "Fuck it!" and just stuffed it underneath piles of his other clothes.
                              Originally posted by Ari
                              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                                BRIDESMAIDS - this was not the most hilarious movie of the year. In fact, it's actually pretty sad. The heavy lady was really funny, though.
                                This. I liked it but this was about 30 mins too long.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X