Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seen Bronson yet Martin? Might be his most accessible film, of course not counting Drive since I haven't seen it yet. Tom Hardy is amazing in it.

Comment

• Just saw it last week. Bronson's GREAT.

But Drive is just.... Refn deserved the director's Palme at Canne.
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Yeah yeah, fuck you for seeing it early and enjoying it before the rest of us joined in like a chorus of batin' angels, singing its praises.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• BOOYAKASHA!
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• So, yeah....Red State is pretty good.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ari
              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Better than Attack the Block?

Sweet Zombie Jesus!
                "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Fuck, I should have gone to Kevin Smith's smodcast/Red State screening last week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
                    I don't hate Woody and I do identify with certain aspects in Annie Hall....

You go to their films for their point of view....
                    Indeed. For their point of view, and the fact that they have a point of view, as has already been established. Sort of something to be cherished, I think.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    Here's my main problem with Woody Allen: he's mentionned in the same sentence as the Coens, Mallilck and Scorcese, and it's WRONG.

Allen is a competent director, but he's so overhyped it's ridiculous. His movies aren't bad more than they're bland.
                    The stuff in his personal life isn't really any of my business and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of his work. Obviously I'm not in favour of anything in the creepy/incest/miscellaneous sexual "shenanigans" arena. Just saying that the fact that he has people who hate him for that doesn't make Annie Hall any less seminal.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    I kinda tolerate some of his 70's-80's work, but he's retreading the same themes over and over and over again since, while still being technically weak.
                    His films are, by their very natures, usually quite intimate though. They don't lend themselves to grandstanding for the most part so I think it makes sense that he lets the characters and story dictate his lo-fi style at times. It's like music. In pop music, the voice is the main thing. Pushed way to the centre. That can be seen as your mainstream multiplex filler stuff. It looks nice so most people don't care that, in many cases, there's barely a theme or any credible characterization, etc.

Allen's more of a rock music filmmaker. Indie-punky, to be specific. The voice, your "style" if you will, is just one ingredient. They guy's more of a character and story driven writer and director so it's not necessarily a failing of his that he isn't concerned about wowing the techies. It's just not his style, at least from what I've seen of his work. This isn't mean to sound like the rabid defence of an Allen apologist. I just think he can still tear strips off the so-called cream of today's comedy crop.
                    Last edited by Bobby Bear; 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM.
                    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• On a very different note, I watched The Hidden yesterday.

This film was on a list I have of genre fare I really want to see that's either unavailable here or hardly ever shown on TV, etc. So I was delighted to find it available for streaming via LOVEFiLM (our version of Netflix, basically.)

It's so great when you've wanted to see a film, especially of this type, for ages and it more than lives up to its promise. Loved every minute of it. Part police procedural / pulp sci-fi serial killer romp. MacLachlan and Nouri were perfect and, while it drew on ingredients from other well-known, arguably better films (the body-snatching style concept, the oral transfer method and so on) they all blended into something personal. Definitely more than just a big smoothie of tropes and set-pieces.

The opening, Grand Theft Auto style sequence is still a blast.
                      "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• OMG, I LOVE The Hidden!!!
                        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• proud to say that I saw 'the Hidden' in the theaters on opening weekend with a full audience that loved it. Great fun.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I love it when he has the show down with the stripper on the roof of the building, and she gets that real deep-ass voice all of a sudden - "I'm not coming out..."
                            2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. Awesome flick but the red-band trailer gives away a lot of the goods.

Also, I dig on The Hidden. I keep checking to see if it's on instant and I'm constantly disappointed.
                              The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                                So, yeah....Red State is pretty good.
                                yep. I really love that ending.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X