Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be surprised if you start getting an erection; it's that awesome.

STEVIE RULES!
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Oh, I love the shit out of the first season. I know things will be a bit slow in the beginning of the second season. But I did laugh when they showed what happened to Stevie back home.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Fritz Lang´s restored version of M.

Holy shit. They made this 80 years ago. That is quite an incredible feat given the dark nature of this movie. I was really gobsmacked about some of the stuff this movie alludes to. And it is wonderful on a historic-technical level as well. The use of sound, especially the use of piping as a music cue for one character is perfect (and pretty much invented in this movie from what I´ve read).

Strongly recommend!
        Incredible film, and available to watch online (I think its in parts on Youtube, but you can find it elsewhere) for free.

The cinematography and Peter Lorre's performance would make it one for the ages, but yeah, everything else in it makes your jaw drop in awe.
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Finished up The Long Good Friday.

Hoskins is brilliant as always, and Mirren holds her own as a brassy mobster wife should. The soundtrack is a fantastic accompaniment to the show.

Spoiler: Yep. Stuff happens. 
          The downward spiral for Harold doesn't even register with him until he's in that car being hauled off by the IRA to his gruesome demise. The game had changed by that point and he thought he could take on fanaticism in an old style mob hit. The horror and despair reflected on his face as he tries to put on a display of bravado whilst at gunpoint (knowing full well he's dead, his wife is dead) is just some fine acting. That the director choose to keep an almost uncut close up on Hoskins through this end scene was perfect.

Also watched The Art of the Steal and subsequently flew into a blind rage. Not really, but it was an incredibly engaging documentary about the criminality people will engage in when they see the opportunity to grab at power and wealth.

And finally, I saw The Girl on the Bridge, a fine romantic film that ensorcels the viewer with a bond of incalculable luck shared by two people cursed by individual misfortune who are also a part of a knife-throwing routine.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Also, Razors is my homeboy.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• If I'm not mistaken, Pierce Brosnan has a bit part in Long Good Friday?
              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Yep. He plays an IRA hitman with a smug prick smirk®.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I didn't just watch it, but I caught Play It Again, Sam recently. And I enjoyed it so much I watched it again shortly thereafter.

Incredible. Sweet, perceptive, and utterly hilarious. Very often, I was laughing so hard no sound came out. It could be remade shot-for-shot today with the same script and still blow strips off the so-called cream of the comedy / rom-com crop. That, more than anything, shows just how mediocre a lot of similar offerings today really are: a film that's almost 40 years old still eclipses them.

Sometimes I feel bad for ragging on movies like Horrible Bosses and The Other Guys (films that try, even if they don't often succeed) to be funny and charming on here, but watching something like this obliterates that guilt. We should take middling modern comedies to task, regardless of whether they're romantic or not. Plumping for obvious, crass jokes isn't terribly clever or funny and we only need to look back at a film like this to remind ourselves how much is possible with a small cast and *corny sentiment alert* a big heart.

I thought this the first time I saw Annie Hall years ago and it's still true: many rom-coms still derive much of their best stuff from this and Allen's other seminal works. It's genuinely amazing how fresh these movies remain. It flouts convention in the best ways (showing not telling with exposition and narration being probably the most obvious example) and embraces genuine quirkiness in warm, endearing ways.
                  "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Woody Allen is a half-assed director, 50/50 writer with designs to be some weird hybrid of a shitty Hitchcock clone by way of Truffaut.

When he manages to write a strong script, it's hailed as a major triump. Then, he coasts on it for another 5 or 6 films. But, he bangs underaged Asian girls...so, he's cool.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                      First Blood: Part Two.

Pretty awful, but the first 15-20 minutes sure are fun.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                        Woody Allen is a half-assed director, 50/50 writer with designs to be some weird hybrid of a shitty Hitchcock clone by way of Truffaut.

When he manages to write a strong script, it's hailed as a major triump. Then, he coasts on it for another 5 or 6 films. But, he bangs underaged Asian girls...so, he's cool.
                        Fucking hate Woody Allen. SOOOOO GODDAMN MUCH.
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Abe Smashington View Post
                          Fucking hate Woody Allen. SOOOOO GODDAMN MUCH.
                          brofist

Comment

• YESSSSsss

Comment

• Anytime anyone says "I really identify with *insert Woody Allen film here*, I want to punch them in the goddamn face. I fully expect Russ to come in here and school me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abe Smashington View Post
                                Anytime anyone says "I really identify with *insert Woody Allen film here*, I want to punch them in the goddamn face. I fully expect Russ to come in here and school me.

There's nothing to school. Allen's a decent stand-up in his youth, got lucky at United Artists and continues to string along smaller studios to bankroll his never-ending series of bombs. When "Midnight in Paris" is considered a hit, you know that your flicks don't make shit.
                                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Working...
                                X