Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, it is a damn good movie, but there is no need for that kind of hyperbole.

Comment

• Troy: what are your top 5 films of all time? Just curious.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Hey, I didn't say it.

But if there is even a hint of that sort of mood and economy of speech in the film, then I'll be at ease.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
          Haha, we had that for MONTHS sitting on out table. We sent it back so I could get The Clone Wars.

PRIORITIES. I FUCKING HAVE THEM.
          This had me chuckling far more than it should've.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
            Troy: what are your top 5 films of all time? Just curious.

1) Star Wars: A New Hope
            2) Once Upon a Time in the West
            3) Coal Miner's Daughter
            4) The Graduate
            5) Hud

I have more, this is just what I pulled off the top of my head.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• ANH over ESB? *golfclap*
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
                3) Coal Miner's Daughter
                4) The Graduate
                I like you.

(I'm a piece of shit who hasn't seen the Newman film)
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
                  1) Star Wars: A New Hope
                  3) Coal Miner's Daughter
                  4) The Graduate
                  5) Hud

I have more, this is just what I pulled off the top of my head.
                  Nice to see some 'Hud' love. I grabbed that one in the 60s draft.

I can't find fault with any of those selections, although I'll take TESB over ANH.
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                    ANH over ESB? *golfclap*
                    Word. A New Hope is my favorite.

Comment

• Bad Boys 2

Gloriously ignorant and beautiful. I love how hard they make a point to let the viewer know about the mines at the end at Gitmo. An iguana steps on a mine and explodes. We see like a million plungers sticking out of the sand. Then Gabrielle Union says "I'll put the gun down...right next to this miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine" and tosses the gun on the mine...oh and none of the mines have a radius that extends more than a foot. Amazing. Bay needs to get back to R rated films.

Comment

• The Seventh Seal.

Intimidation more than anything forced me to keep this film at arms length for years.

That and the pop iconography associated with such a work ("You have SUNK my battleship.") is impossible to separate oneself from; it is foolish to try.

The subject of death is incredibly complex, unless you fancy yourself a philosopher. And in such a case, figgidy fuck off. It is the cessation of being, the end of the experiences you have had and will have as a human being, and there is no escaping it. It raises all sorts of questions, mostly existential, and we find anything we can to waylay the asshole from his becoming.

In this tale, a knight with a crisis of faith contemplates these things while he plays his last chess game with Death, in an effort to waylay the asshole.

Of course, the metaphor isn't lost on even the most simple person, but what I found the most horrifying aspect of the entire piece was the burning of the witch, and the exchange the knight and his squire have as they observe her final moments:

Jöns: Who will look after that child? The angels? God? Satan? Emptiness? No, emptiness, milord!
                        Block: It cannot be!
                        Jöns: Look at her eyes. Her poor mind is making a discovery. Emptiness!
                        Block: No!
                        Jöns: We are helpless. We see what she sees, and her terror is ours.

The look on her face as he says it is so completely manipulative, so completely confused and frightened, that I can still recall it in stark clarity with that same ill feeling in the pit of my stomach. For all the humorous moments given to Jöns and his musings, he can be a joyless bastard sometimes.

But it is all fruitless to dwell on these things, as worrying over an inevitability is to take the joy out of living. Just as the knight says when he shares a meal with fine company at a beautiful, rare moment in the day, "I will remember this moment...it will be a sign to me, and a great sufficiency."

It is from our experiences, private and shared, that we will find comfort when we expire. For every living thing, it is uncertain when the exact moment comes, we can only be as prepared as our circumstances allow. Or as that joyless bastard Jöns says in the end, "I could have purged your worries about eternity, but now it's too late. But feel, to the very end, the triumph of being alive!"

TL;DR

I think it was a perfect afternoon for existential angst.
                        Last edited by Captain Russ; 06-28-2011, 11:16 PM.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Not to be confused with...

Comment

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                            The Seventh Seal.

Intimidation more than anything forced me to keep this film at arms length for years.

That and the pop iconography associated with such a work ("You have SUNK my battleship.") is impossible to separate oneself from; it is foolish to try.

The subject of death is incredibly complex, unless you fancy yourself a philosopher. And in such a case, figgidy fuck off. It is the cessation of being, the end of the experiences you have had and will have as a human being, and there is no escaping it. It raises all sorts of questions, mostly existential, and we find anything we can to waylay the asshole from his becoming.

In this tale, a knight with a crisis of faith contemplates these things while he plays his last chess game with Death, in an effort to waylay the asshole.

Of course, the metaphor isn't lost on even the most simple person, but what I found the most horrifying aspect of the entire piece was the burning of the witch, and the exchange the knight and his squire have as they observe her final moments:

Jöns: Who will look after that child? The angels? God? Satan? Emptiness? No, emptiness, milord!
                            Block: It cannot be!
                            Jöns: Look at her eyes. Her poor mind is making a discovery. Emptiness!
                            Block: No!
                            Jöns: We are helpless. We see what she sees, and her terror is ours.

The look on her face as he says it is so completely manipulative, so completely confused and frightened, that I can still recall it in stark clarity with that same ill feeling in the pit of my stomach. For all the humorous moments given to Jöns and his musings, he can be a joyless bastard sometimes.

But it is all fruitless to dwell on these things, as worrying over an inevitability is to take the joy out of living. Just as the knight says when he shares a meal with fine company at a beautiful, rare moment in the day, "I will remember this moment...it will be a sign to me, and a great sufficiency."

It is from our experiences, private and shared, that we will find comfort when we expire. For every living thing, it is uncertain when the exact moment comes, we can only be as prepared as our circumstances allow. Or as that joyless bastard Jöns says in the end, "I could have purged your worries about eternity, but now it's too late. But feel, to the very end, the triumph of being alive!"

TL;DR

I think it was a perfect afternoon for existential angst.
                            That was a terrific review, dude, full of insight and a degree of philosophical deepness that's rare to see.

I feel like shit now that all I can offer is that I watched a bit of D.C. Cab this morning. Not deep, not intellectually stimulating, not Mr. T's best role.

I suck.

Comment

• Thank you for the kind words, Tim!

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with watching some D.C. Cab.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• You're too kind. You shall be spared when the revolution comes.

Comment

Working...
                                X