Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished Stephen King's "Full Dark, No Stars" a few days ago. This was a collection of 4 novellas, a la Four Past Midnight. As he says in the afterward, these are dark, nasty stories. Violent and horrific subject matter abounds, but only one, Fair Extension, had anything supernatural going on. Well, maybe the 1st one, 1922, could be construed as a ghost story, too. These were far from King's best. In places, it didn't even feel like him. I wondered, after reading some of these, if Joe Hill had actually written them. They kind of had his flavor.

Was this enjoyable? I'm a huge King apologist, and even I wasn't especially electrified by any of these stories. The best of them, and it literally took the last line of the story to make it that (the premise & execution being fairly pedestrian & predictable), was the aforementioned Fair Extension. The reason it worked, however, is the same reason these stories may have value apart from the enjoyment you may (or may not) have taken from reading them. As King explains in the afterword, he doesn't like to write highbrow fiction that makes the reader think WHILE he's reading it. But if, after the story's done you think on the subject matter a bit, that's another thing entirely, and the point behind these storiers, which seek to explore human nature. Ordinary people are placed in extraordinary circumstances (eg., a woman is raped & left for dead, but manages to survive & exact vengeance; a man w/ terminal cancer is offered a chance to extend & enrich his life, but only if he chooses someone to suffer in equal measure, a father & son murder their wife/mother & have to live w/ the guilt & maintain the cover story, and a woman discovers her seemingly perfect husband is actually a vicious serial killer). And they deal with those situations. We are left to wonder if they did the "right" thing, and how we may have acted in similar situations. Do we laud their actions or condemn them? Were the characters' reasons for doing what they did good enough to support their decisions? And what does how we come down on these issues say about us as individuals?

For a change (and surprisingly, to me) the message is maybe more important than the story in these tales. A rarity for King. Does it work? Well, I think it'd work better with better, more entertaining stories to get you to do the thinking. Almost totally absent is the character enhancing backstory and wry iconoclastic sense of humor we've come to love & expect from King. Dark, nasty tales indeed. Still, the fact that there is this food for thought presented elevates it from poor to fair status, at least. I'd recommend it for King completists, but if you're lukewarm on or hostile to him, skip it.
    Last edited by IggytheBorg; 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Finished GUillermo Del Toro's & Chuck Hogan's "The Strain" this afternoon. As I mentioned in Horror Thread VII, this is a vampire tale, set in modern day NYC. It is the story of a rogue Master vampire and his attempt to conquer the world by spreading the plague of vamprism on an unprecedented scale. And it is a plague. As the name implies, it's treated very much like a disease in this book, both in the way the characters deal with it and the cause/reason for the spread of vampirism. There is no supernatural element to the vampires in this book at all. I generally find that to be a turn off. Supernatural horror is what gets my motor running more than anything else horrific. Well in print, anyway. I truly can't stand when an author feels it necessary to explain away thru science a perfectly good scary legend. I mean, your readers are readikng horror fiction; by definition, they're prepared to suspend disbelief. You don't have to spoon feed us an axplanation for vampires. We're prepared to take a little on faith, here.

All that having been said, this is a very good book despite all that. These two authors have a clean, readable style, with descriptions of the action & scenes/characters good & faithfully rendered. The characters are also intriguing (although only a few are delved into w/ any significant depth). I found myself tearing thru this book at a really good clip (it's 586 pages long), and having a hard time putting it down. Despite the fact that I don't particularly like where they're trying to take the vampire sub genre, I really like the STORY. Even though he isn't supernatural, the Master is thoroughly evil and a powerful, compelling villain.

Is it high literature? No. Is it the best vampre story I've ever read? No (hell, it's not even the best vampres taking over a major city book I've ever read; see Robert McCammon's "They Thirst" for that). Is it something that will bear repeat reading? I doubt it. BUt it is a fun read. If you're not a vampire completist, maybe take Hocken's suggestion from the Vamp thread and borrow it from the library, if you can. You surely won't regret it, even if you don't love it enough to buy it.

Edited to add: I, however, wish so fervently to enrich Rerb that I will buy the remaining two volumes in the planned trilogy from Amazon, via rerb's link. BUt in paperback. Let's not get crazy, now.
      Last edited by IggytheBorg; 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I finished "Sick Things: An Anthology of Extreme Creature Horror" yesterday. This wasn't as interesting as its predecessor, "Vile Things", reviewed earlier in this thread. Most of the stories were pretty mediocre, actually. Great gore & body horror abounded, but that wasn't enough to make many of these stories anything special. Some were downright silly (although that was - I assume - intentional in a few places). As an example, let me quote a passage from "Jimmy Sticks and the Outlaw Critter of Doom"

"The men who had murdered them, however, were free to stalk the night, pouring ruin down on the innocent like venereal thunderheads pregnant with gonorrhea rain."

The author (Michael Boatman) repeats such literary excesses throughout the story, so I'm pretty sure he had his tongue firmly in his cheek as he wrote this story. It was amusing, if nothing else, but I just had to quote "gonorrhea rain". That's gotta be some kind of genius. Right?

There were a few standouts, such as "Legacy of the Last Invader" by M. Shaw, which to the casual reader may slip its point that the alien invaders mentioned in the title might not be the worst monsters in the story. "Acceptable Losses" by Simon Wood, "The Neglected" by Sean Logan and "Paper Angels on Fire" by John Shirley were also notably creepy and disturbing. Not the worst thing I ever read, but a bit of a disappointment, truth be told.

Comment

• I just started 'The Death and Life of Bobby Z' from Donald Winslow. It's off to a great start. If you're into crime fiction (or if you're wanting to just give it a try), check this guy out. I've also got his latest book, 'Savages', to read once I'm done with Z.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I can't believe I forgot this, but I finished reading "The Black Book of Horror Vol. 1" about a month ago. This is the 1st in a series of 7 or 8, I think. Initially, I wasn't that impressed. Lot of very predictable, mediocre stories in here. But there were a few relative standouts. Stories like "The Sound of Muzak" and "Subtle Invasion" were better than the avergae stuff in here, & worth reading. I guess a lot of my distaste for these stories is that they're the heighth of British horror, as epitomized by Ramsey Campbell. Way too oblique & subtle. A mere suggestion of something unpleasant just doesn't do it for me, and that's what you get with a lot of these stories. Maybe I'm a boor, but I just don't get it. Considering the series has survived so long, I figure Frank Black (the editor; see what he did there?) must be doing something right, si I'll give Vol II a day in court. But if it's more of same, This series gets no more love from me.

Comment

• Just finished "The Horror Library Vol 1" last night. Another long lived series, this one opened strongly with a genuinely disturbing little yarn called "Palo Mayombe in Matamoros". Thw most disturbing part is it's not entirely - or even mostly - fiction. The rest of the stories settled into a relative stew of mediocrity, until you get to the last two. this volume definitely finished strongly. "Skull Farmers" and even more so "Scavenger Hunt" were the best stories in the book. Vivid, graphic (particularly the latter) and creepy, they hit on nearly every level. I was thinking I liked this even less than "The Black Book" until I got to those last 2 stories. They made volume 2 a necessary purchase, to see if anything else that good pops up (and hopefully in larger quantities). I'd recommend it for the 3 noted stories.

Comment

• Avoid 'Gideon's Sword' by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. These two authors are guilty pleasures for me, but this book (totally separate from the Pendergast series) is pure garbage. They're trying to create a new series of books, separate from their Pendergast series (although in the same universe...there is a crossover character who plays an important part in the story), but this is dead in the water. The main character is unlikable, the plotting is completely absurd and reliant upon too many coincidences, and the writing itself is childish. Ugh.
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Finished a really, really nifty lil' volume: Daikaiju! Giant Monster Tales. This. . . THIS is what I've been searching for. Gaint (and I mean GIANT; no "bugs the size of volkswagens" here; all monsters proudly stomped cities, thank you very much) monsters treated in a serious manner. There were a few humorous stories, and they were pretty cool, too, but they were far in the minority for a change. Most of them were more about inspiring awe than fear, but a couple touch on the basic, primal fear I think anyone faced with such creatures would feel. One even managed to be - in its own way - subtle. Can you believe it? No start up difficulties here for this series (yes, Virginia there IS a Santa Claus; V2 added to WishList? CHECK!), as w/ the "Black Book" and "Horror Library". Very well done all around. Can't WAIT to read V. 2, and I sure as hell hope they print more. DM8 would LOVE this.

Comment

• Just finished City of the Dead - Brian Keene,

This book is the sequel to The Rising and in the beginning of the book the author gives thanks to various people AND those who wrote unsatisfied with the ending of The Rising. Most of you I think read the Rising but if not, you should. This book however takes up that journey and continues it with Jim, Martin, and Frankie in the search for Jim's son, Danny. And yes we get more of OB, the demon/zombie boss that I absolutely loved from the first book.

I also love the take Keene has taken with "zombies" in these two books in regards to demons and the Creator as Ob refers to him. Is it high art? No, but I assure you it's a fun read as I read CoTD in one sitting and The Rising in just a few.

If any of you haven't read them, get on it, and if you have I'm sure you enjoyed them on some level too.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                      Finished a really, really nifty lil' volume: Daikaiju! Giant Monster Tales. This. . . THIS is what I've been searching for. Gaint (and I mean GIANT; no "bugs the size of volkswagens" here; all monsters proudly stomped cities, thank you very much) monsters treated in a serious manner. There were a few humorous stories, and they were pretty cool, too, but they were far in the minority for a change. Most of them were more about inspiring awe than fear, but a couple touch on the basic, primal fear I think anyone faced with such creatures would feel. One even managed to be - in its own way - subtle. Can you believe it? No start up difficulties here for this series (yes, Virginia there IS a Santa Claus; V2 added to WishList? CHECK!), as w/ the "Black Book" and "Horror Library". Very well done all around. Can't WAIT to read V. 2, and I sure as hell hope they print more. DM8 would LOVE this.
                      Do you have a link, good sir?

I are a kaiju junkie...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I are technologically illetarate Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. I no know how to make-um links. But is available on Amazon thru rerb's magic Portal, above left. S'how I got it.

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                          Just finished City of the Dead - Brian Keene,

This book is the sequel to The Rising and in the beginning of the book the author gives thanks to various people AND those who wrote unsatisfied with the ending of The Rising. Most of you I think read the Rising but if not, you should. This book however takes up that journey and continues it with Jim, Martin, and Frankie in the search for Jim's son, Danny. And yes we get more of OB, the demon/zombie boss that I absolutely loved from the first book.

I also love the take Keene has taken with "zombies" in these two books in regards to demons and the Creator as Ob refers to him. Is it high art? No, but I assure you it's a fun read as I read CoTD in one sitting and The Rising in just a few.

If any of you haven't read them, get on it, and if you have I'm sure you enjoyed them on some level too.
                          I kinda liked it. It somewhat felt like the obligatory sequel, but it's Keene, so it's well done, and I liked the Ob storyline. Did you read The Conqueror Worms?
                          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Not yet, but I did read A Gathering of Crows and Darkness at the Edge of Town yesterday. Both were well written, but I loved Crows, where as Darkness was "OK" in my book. I love that all of these stories refer to string theory and multiple realities and the like. I liked the Levi character so much that I'll be picking up Ghost Walk and Dark Hollow if they are in today, then on to Conqueror Worms.
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I had mixed feelings about Dark Hollow. Wrote an official DERP review on it back in the day.

Comment

• I can see that, I was bothered by some of Adam's actions as they just didn't ring true to what someone would do in that situation but I'll be damned if I didn't churn through it. Now how Levi dealt with Adam in the follow up? Harsh but kind of made sense.

Just finished Ghoul and while I liked it, I didn't love it. Found out the library doesn't have Conqueror worms, Dead Sea, or Castaways. Need new author stat!

Comment

Working...
                                X