No announcement yet.

The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to read Power of the Dog. It appears to be Don Winslow's The Wire.

Frankie Machine was some good stuff.
    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't really sold at first, but somewhere around page 50-100 this thing grabbed me by the balls and wouldn't let go.
      "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
      *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

done got: Bad Day For Sorry, Dope Thief, The Shipping News. Gonna be busy.
        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~

Comment

Currently reading The Number by Alex Berenson. It's basically a Fast Food Nation when it comes to finance and accounting. Newsflash: Companies have been juking their financials for decades and the SEC is toothless.

One minor gripe, the guy says Coke bought Paramount in the 80s when it fact bought Columbia Pictures. Paramount was still owned by Gulf+Western. I have no idea why this wasn't caught in the editing process.

Comment

Speaking of Paramount/Gulf+Western days, I've started to reread The Kid Stays in the Picture.

Bob Evans is a leather-faced god.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

He may be a sleaze bag. But he's a facinating as hell sleaze bag.

Companion book: Easy Riders, Raging Bulls

Comment

I still need to read that Evans book.

~

Comment

Either the unabridged audio book or in paperback form, it is a fun ride with the coked out giant.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

Documentary is pretty damn good also.

Comment

Just finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie. Not gonna lie, got a bit misty eyed while reading it. *sniff*

Comment

Just finished Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein. True story of this guy whose from Missouri and ends up working for one of Japan's largest newspapers as a police reporter. Tons of crazy stories involving murder, robbery, Tokyo's sex districts and a very sad passage on human traffiking.

This would make for a good movie or mini-series.
                        Last edited by Ed Hocken; 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Please Kill Me. Oral history of Punk Rock. Makes me never want to go to New York. And everyone was a complete asshole. Complete animals. Totally wasted all the time and fucking everything/one.
                          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                            Just finished Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein. True story of this guy whose from Missouri and ends up working for one of Japan's largest newspapers as a police reporter. Tons of crazy stories involving murder, robbery, Tokyo's sex districts and a very sad passage on human traffiking.

This would make for a good movie or mini-series.
                            NICE. I've been meaning to pick this one up. Fuck, I gotta go to the library and pick up a bunch of holds. ARRRGGHHH

~

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                              Please Kill Me. Oral history of Punk Rock. Makes me never want to go to New York. And everyone was a complete asshole. Complete animals. Totally wasted all the time and fucking everything/one.
                              What a shock....

Coming up next Fordlandia by Greg Grandin. This book is about how Henry Ford bought a shit ton of land in the Amazon and tried to make his own utopia while securing rubber supplies.

Newsflash, it did not work.

Comment

Please Kill Me is GREAT. Haha, I wanted to live in late 70s-80s NY after that.

~

Comment

Working...
                                X