No announcement yet.

The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I think of it, the more I think I didn’t miss it. It was recommended to me by friends who HATES the Scott Cards, Ringo and all that are misogynistic or racist/homophobes fucks.
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I was mostly kidding. Just saw some reviews on good reads reviews saying all the women exist solely as love interests, racist undertones with species of aliens or some shit, etcetera....I always like to read the worst reviews first.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I got sucked into the first book in The Last Watch series. Not sure about the Game of Thrones meets Expanse nonsense, but the central story so far is neat. Ancient war between man/alien, shit went down, there is an end of the universe area, soldiers (criminals, discharges, etc...) are sent to keep watch and there is a weird anomaly where it sort of fucks with the time stream if you get too close or whatever. Early scene has the XO talking to a crewmate and then she sees herself from a few minutes into the future walking around the bridge. Tells the crewmate, he fixes the trajectory of the ship, future self disappears, XO then ends up doing/saying the exact same she shit she just her future self doing. That's what hooked me. Neat.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• I actually took a look at that. Seems nice.

Comment

• It's pretty fun so far! I'm digging the worldbuilding stuff and the weird time distortion shit is cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
              Instead I grabbed that Joe Hill short story collection that has "The Black Phone" in it and I made it 20 pages in this morning at like 1 am and it freaked me out a tad so I had to put it down and then just stare at the wall for a bit. Didn't even finish the first story but that imagery he used for "buttonboy" got to me.
              Still going through these short stories in 20th Century Ghosts and man, nothing is scary (except that first story for whatever reason...) but man these stories bum me the fuck out. There is one involving a kid and his superhero costume that could be a really interesting jumping off point for a short film if they keep the ending as is and/or expand on it, and then this other one revolving around 2 people who were extras in zombie makeup on Romero's Dawn of the Dead that really just ended on a totally depressing note and cut me to the core. I swear, dealing with the shit going on in my life makes these stories hit so much fucking harder. I can totally see most people thinking I'm silly but I ended up tearing up again on the one from last night right before bed. Stupid Joe Hill.

Comment

I got sucked into the first book in The Last Watch series. Not sure about the Game of Thrones meets Expanse nonsense, but the central story so far is neat. Ancient war between man/alien, shit went down, there is an end of the universe area, soldiers (criminals, discharges, etc...) are sent to keep watch and there is a weird anomaly where it sort of fucks with the time stream if you get too close or whatever. Early scene has the XO talking to a crewmate and then she sees herself from a few minutes into the future walking around the bridge. Tells the crewmate, he fixes the trajectory of the ship, future self disappears, XO then ends up doing/saying the exact same she shit she just her future self doing. That's what hooked me. Neat.
                Gave up on this. I got bored. Decided to read The Deep by Nick Cutter instead. Much more my jam atm. Pulpy horror/sci-fi ala The Thing mixed with Sphere. The Troop was the first one of his I read and loved, this is great too. Half way through and I just started it last week.

Comment

• Mmmm intriguing

Comment

Gave up on this. I got bored. Decided to read The Deep by Nick Cutter instead. Much more my jam atm. Pulpy horror/sci-fi ala The Thing mixed with Sphere. The Troop was the first one of his I read and loved, this is great too. Half way through and I just started it last week.
                    Amazon just announced they are making a series based on The Deep. Awesome. I dug the shit outta it.

Finished White Noise. Ehhhhh. I couldn't tell you what it was exactly about except I guess maybe consumerism and how people fear death and deal with it in different ways? I dunno. I hope the movie is better because the trailer is what got me to read it.

Comment

• I kinda wish it was about The Deep and octopus fucking.

Comment

Taste! Such an odd beast.
                        I've started The Deep as a beach book for holidays and put it away half way through. I found it so lazily written, full of clichees and just straight up bad.
                        will likely never finish it, but it surely has potential for a series I might even watch. Taste is such an odd thing indeed.

Comment

• i''m pretty sure at this point my tastes are well known. 90% terrible, 10% perfection haahah. By no means was it art but for a book to read as my Xanax and clonazepam do their job before bed it worked haha.

The Troop was much better.

Comment

• Books are something I never recommend specifically because of that. I'll tell you what I'm reading, but unlike a 90 min movie, a book is a commitment not to be taken lightly.

Comment

• Oh yeah. I completely agree. Ans that wasn't supposed to communicate any judgement, but mere curiosity.
                              especially considering I read cabin in the woods just before, its just such a stark contrast in characterization. The latter basically hinges on that, and success mostly. The deep has everything that intrigues me, diving! Body horror! Apocalypse! But it fails miserably in world building and likable characters, or rather talking plot devices.
                              it sure has potential for a nice series if adapted properly.

Comment

• i decided to eat more comfort food and am going to go back and re-read and then finally read the new ones in Brian Keene's collection. Picked up the DIRECTOR'S cut of The Rising and City of the Dead for like 4 bucks. I devoured all of his shit in the early 00's and at a certain point stores stopped carrying his books and then I got lost at which ones were in what order and oh god there are so many of them BUT I fucking loved this dude's world building. That fucking Amish dude Levi that showed up in Dark Hollow (I think?) and who became the John Wick of the series going forward was neat if I am remembering correctly. I do remember his book Urban Gothic was dope and that it felt that Barbarian completely ripped it off. either way, I have a bunch of junk food books to read now and I'm happy.

And yeah, the Troop was dope and The Deep had all the necessary parts but just didn't gel completely but the stuff that worked really worked for me. THE DOG. :/

Comment

Working...
                                X