No announcement yet.

The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I liked Persepolis, but Tiamat is fucking SOLID. Probably one of the most different and epic space battle ever.

And Rob, without be spoilery, the Goths (the ones that killed the Builders, that some called The Romans) are never fully shown, but because they are not in this universe.

I was much more curious what the Builders were.

The payoff is there, don’t worry. It will all make sense. But weird.

But yeah, that death off screen sucks, but that character’s arc was done.
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Half way done with book 8. Dig the hell outta the chapter that ended with
        Spoiler: spoilers 
      The Goths using their weird tech that splits everyone's atoms and when they come back they're missing chunks of their body or merged with crash couches and shit
      Also, not that it's been technically "revealed" yet in the book but geeeeee I wonder who Timothy could be? /s

Also (it just happened so this is all I know) lulz
        Spoiler: minor spoilers 
      to Duerte and his "evolution" back firing on him.

Digging this a bunch so far after the last one which was okay but this one is legit.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Their weaponry is SO alien.

So you know who it is

Comment

• Finished book 8 last night.

Spoiler: spoiler thoughts 
          • Sad about Amos dying
          • Glad about Zombie Amos coming back
          • Sad about Bobbie dying
          • Glad they named a station after her and the way she went out was badass if anything
          • Sad that Duerte didn't get his yet
          • Glad the Duerte used his weird powers to disassemble Doctor Cortazar
          But for reals, pretty decent entry in the series. Teresa is an okay character but is no Clarissa or Bobbi yet obvs. I don't really care about Elvi and her hubby no matter how hard they want me to. Curious to see how the next one starts (and then ends) since this ones ended with Holden asking Amos if he's real a dozen times and then them both saying that they've learned that everyone is about to die

So far pretty dope series. Last book should be completed within the next week or two. Then I need to find a new series. Not sure if I want to go back and read some more books in the Dune series. Any good horror books out there? I need to get back into Brian Keene's shit but it's been a few years and he's written a ton of shit. I used to love how every book fit together and intertwined but now it's been so long I feel like I'd have to start back at the beginning with The Rising and go from there.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Lemme check. Yeah, that death scene was EPIC

Comment

• Finished all 9 books in The Expanse. Loved them. A whole bunch. Only one, (I believe the 5th? the one that was mostly one big space battle?) was slightly eh but overall it was a pretty series. Didn't change my mind that this was basically Mass Effect BUT it fucking worked.

Spoiler: spoilers 
              The shit with Amos and the kids was fantastic. When he went into other side to help with Cara and then as soon as he came out was like "Hey yo Doc, fuck that shit. She's done or I'm gonna make your life hell" it was a YEAH AMOS! TAKE CARE OF THOSE KIDS CAUSE WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE A BIG SOFTY! moment. Tanaka was such a cunt BUT the moment her mind was invaded and she handled it was spot on. That last battle between her, the sentries, and Deurte was fucking DOPE. Jim becoming the hive mind, shutting down the rings, and basically being the best Jim he could be was perfect. Alex hopefully getting his happy ending *tear*, etc etc

Really fucking enjoyed them. Not that I didn't hear about the books prior (as I knew about the tv show) just wanted to say thanks Martin for pushing them on me. Now, that being said, are the novellas worth it? I see a few of them and almost picked them up but wasn't sure if the quality was up to par.

Instead I grabbed that Joe Hill short story collection that has "The Black Phone" in it and I made it 20 pages in this morning at like 1 am and it freaked me out a tad so I had to put it down and then just stare at the wall for a bit. Didn't even finish the first story but that imagery he used for "buttonboy" got to me.

Anyways, if anyone has another good sci-fi series or horror let me know. I need another epic series to power through as I'm still on the fence with reading the second (or any other) DUNE books since I loved the first one so much and don't want to ruin it.

Comment

• Glad you liked it.

Id say most of the novellas are worth it. Check out Memories’s Legion. Its the anthology. And has the fate of Filip Nagata

some Facebook recommendations are weird. Ann Leckie? HATE.

You want scifi?

Check the Bobiverse series. Its fucking fun and funny. Trust me.

also, Adrian Tchaikovsky is amazing. The Children of Time is a book about artificially evolved spiders on an alien planet. The heroes are spiders.

his other series is The Final architecture. Really like it so far.

Fantasy: The Lies of Locke Lamora. The hero is a wimpy thief. Easily my fave du genre.

Weird book: The Library at Mount Char. That’s in my top 5 of all time. Its horror. Its weird. I dont wanna spoil it. But it came highly recommended and for a reason.

You have to pick one, make it this one.

Ill check out the Joe Hill book if its that scary. Id love a scary horror book.

Comment

• Sweet man. Yeah I was curious if the novellas were worth the time. But yeah, now that you mention it, unless I totally forgot, they kinda just write Philip out.

Do any of the novellas have anything to do with
                    Spoiler: massive spoilers for the Expanse series 
                  alien zombie Amos in the future with the people that made it to Earth? I swear, that last line of his was fucking great. I WANT MORE AMOS

I'll check out some of those other recommendations. That spider one sounds neat. I ended up finishing that short story by Joe Hill and the story within the story got me more than the story, but it seems like there will be more as I go through that book. Instead of reading anymore horror before bed, I started that Thrawn SW book as I love me some Thrawn and I wanted to not have fucked up imagery in my head. That first chapter was like the goddamn Predator. Seeing how Thrawn became the genius tactician he turns out to be is pretty neat. Dude was basically Dutch from Predator in that first chapter. Fun stuff.

Comment

• Sadly no. The epilogue was fantastic. I really wanted more.

And trust me, Library at Mt Char is insane. Imagine American Gods, but amazing and dark as shit?

I sadly gave up the SW novels when it was non-cannon.

oh, btw, i saw someone recommend Hyperion. Its good, but so weird, I did not followup.

Comment

• good to know about Hyperion. Bummer to hear about no more stuff in regards to that epilogue. And the SW books are canon now (the new ones that is). The Thrawn trilogy is at least.

Comment

• On book 2 of The Thrawn trilogy and I cannot fucking wait to see this guy in live action. Also bonus points for having Anakin use the force to pull a fucking Weekend At Bernies during an action scene. The way they describe how the Force is interpreted by Jedi in this book is kind of dope. "Double Vision" is a neat way of explaining how they do the things they do.

Comment

• Oh you went fast food! Noice.

I read Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (The Martian). Its fast food. Its good.

Im back to faster food with some 40k novels.

Comment

• Oh yeah, fast food and then back to your recommendation and then some non-fiction is on deck.

Comment

• The Thrawn books are a quick read and I wanted to check them out since he's gonna be showing up in the new shows soon. Plus I'm trying to get a playlist of the must watch Rebels episodes for Lesley. She gave up after I think the third or fourth episode as since it's a Disney cartoon they have those eps are that pure dumb filler BUT the story shit in these that they're gonna be exploring in the upcoming shows is some of the best SW shit currently out. There's a reason why Filoni was given the keys.

Comment

• Finished up the Thrawn trilogy and really enjoyed it. The stuff with the Chiss Ascendency was pretty neat. Loved Eli Vanto. And that last battle would be fucking amazing in liveaction or even animated.

Book 2 was probably my favorite if only for the flashbacks throughout with Thrawn and Anakin.

Started on The Library on Mt. Char as per your recommendation Martin . Digging it so far, read nothing before buying and it's neat. So thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X