Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations?

Yep. I've read so much stuff from that site. Good Stuff.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Lesley - You should check out Persepolis by Majane Satrapi. It will give you hope for humanity. It was recently made into a movie.

I agree with the Dexter recommendation. I read all of the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher as well. Both are television shows now. The books are better.

Civil War is a bit much if you are just starting reading comics. Plus Rob hates it & I see his point. Check out the first New Avengers in trade. It is at the Minnapolis Public Libarary. I get a lot of my comics from the library. I am never caught up on anything but I never have buyer's remorse.

Comment

Everyone needs to check out the Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley stat!

Edgar Wright (of Spaced, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame) is directing the first movie with Michael Cera as Scott. I know it came out awhile ago, but I finally was able to track down the first graphic novel this weekend. Great stuff.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

I just read American Born Chinese and that book was awesome. It has 3 seperate stories that interweave by the end and it's really fun to read. Highly recommend it.

Comment

WORLD WAR Z by Max Brooks will blow any zombie fan away. I can't believe I didn't say this one right away!

I also highly anything by Neal Stephenson, especially Snow Crash and The Diamond Age / Young Lady's Illustrated Primer.

Comment

All I have to do is find where I put my copy of World War Z and a reading I shall go!
              Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
              John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

I'm not sure if I already suggest this author, but anything by Philip K. Dick is the fucking greatness. I especially love his short story collections: http://www.amazon.com/Second-Variety...d_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Castl...sim_b_title_11

and of course: http://www.amazon.com/Do-Androids-Dr...pd_sim_b_img_1

Basically anything by PKD is awesome.

Comment

larry niven's all the myriad ways is also amazing. it collects some of niven's amazing short stories and essays. the best one is "man of steel, woman of kleenex;" an essay about how lois lane cannot have superman's baby and most of its premise was used in mallrats and comic book villians. and something that singer should have read before making superman returns.

anyways, if you can't find all the myriad ways, most of those collected stories/essays are also in n-space.
                  The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

I got The Mist novella when I bought the dvd, so I guess I'll have to read that sometime.
                    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

It's not bad, I read when I was a kid. I prefer the ending in the movie though.

Comment

Just picked up and nearly finished "Dead Sea" by Brian Keene. I believe I recommended a few of his books in this thread earlier on: The Rising and City of the Dead

Really digging it and only have about 50 pages left. If you read "The Rising" and "City of the Dead" then you will find out how the zombies became to be in "Dead Sea". It also has little homages to characters in the other two books. I wasn't expecting that at all, so it was a nice little surprise.

Comment

Eh, World War Z isn't as good as everyone says it is. As much as I love reading about zombies World War Z just didn't do anything for me.

I'll second The Dark Tower series. If you read those you have to read The Stand as well.

If your into fantasy books check out:

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
                          "How the fuck does your brain go Kevin Spacey~K-Pax?" - Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderine View Post
                            Eh, World War Z isn't as good as everyone says it is. As much as I love reading about zombies World War Z just didn't do anything for me.
                            Yeah in a recent episode of the 'caust I end up backpeddling and saying exactly that. Basically, fuck that book. IT's soooooo boring.

Comment

actually, world war z is great on audiobook which is played out like a radio broadcast. the book form just doesn't do it for me.

the stand is ok but just too damn slow in the middle. the dark tower is king's opus, so a lot of his other books tie in to that series.
                              The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Dark Tower is something great, but it peaked with Wizard and Glass. Great, great book.
                                Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                                Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                                POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X