New Forums/CMS upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forums/CMS upgrade

Ok, license has been purchased. According to the techs we have to update this place to VB4 first, and then to VB5. Because of this, again, I have to stress we will do our best to hopefully not lose any data but this is all new stuff for helper and I. FWIW we did have VB4 on a test server back in 2011 with this database and it mostly worked so fingers crossed.

I'll probably end up shutting down the boards next week in preparation as we have to back everything up and I will be working on Helper's timetable.

I will definitely let everyone know at least 24 hours in advance of the board shutdown.

I have to stress again that this will be quite the overhaul and shit will be strange and weird but hopefully after the dust settles everything will be functional and normal.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
    Ok, license has been purchased. According to the techs we have to update this place to VB4 first, and then to VB5. Because of this, again, I have to stress we will do our best to hopefully not lose any data but this is all new stuff for helper and I. FWIW we did have VB4 on a test server back in 2011 with this database and it mostly worked so fingers crossed.

I'll probably end up shutting down the boards next week in preparation as we have to back everything up and I will be working on Helper's timetable.

I will definitely let everyone know at least 24 hours in advance of the board shutdown.

I have to stress again that this will be quite the overhaul and shit will be strange and weird but hopefully after the dust settles everything will be functional and normal.
    Any chance the old arcade, which is still available through some leg work, will survive? I go there from time to time just to revisit a few games that are actually pretty fun.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

highly doubtful as I wasn't able to get it back up and running even a few years ago when I patched this place which sucks because that was a bunch of fun.

It may still live on via the legwork however but probably not going to work after our host updates the servers.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
        highly doubtful as I wasn't able to get it back up and running even a few years ago when I patched this place which sucks because that was a bunch of fun.

It may still live on via the legwork however but probably not going to work after our host updates the servers.
        It was worth asking. Sucks but from a technological stand point I understand. Really enjoyed that it existed for as long as it did.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Same here - Josh and I had a great tie/back-and-forth at First Place for awhile there.

Then he beat me by one game. Enjoy your laurels and victory muffin, Josh!

Bastard

Comment

I begrudgingly will take the crown upon retirement but I did love the silent back & forth only you & I were even aware of. :-)

Comment

I did too. It was like a chess game in the Howard Barr Memorial Drawing Room of the BDR League of Adventurer's and Fellow Sophisticate's Club, where we had fireplaces, libraries, pipes, cognac and a butler named Thorndyke.

Hope the new digs are just as spiffy.

Comment

The Arcade is still live? Link me.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

http://forums.braindeadradio.com/arcade.php

It looks like there *may* be a version for VB5 possibly but not entirely sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                    The Arcade is still live? Link me.
                    NOoooooooooo. I AM THE FINAL KING

Comment

I can't get it to load in my browser.
                      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                        NOoooooooooo. I AM THE FINAL KING
                        And I am the Heir Apparent!

Comment

A few of the games are like Nah Bruh but I can still play several of them.

Comment

It sounds like Helper is going to attempt to upgrade this place this Friday. I will be shutting down the forums Thursday night so he can back up the database first thing Friday morning.

Again, if you're not on social media shoot me your email addy at braindeadradio@gmail.com so in case something goes wrong I can at least reach out to let you know the status of things.

Comment

Hope the transition is smooth. All glory to Helper Monkey!

Comment

Working...
                              X