Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't even know where I could find this ingredient.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Ohhhh, noooooo.... someone had something other than pasta dishes on the brain.
      2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• I grind my own. It saves time and is more cost-effective.

Comment

• Racism and eugenics aside, it was probably a good recipe.
          "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
          *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Martin...

Your chicken?

TRES MAGNIFIQUE!

and yes... the burning is worth it!

Comment

• Cool! It's funny, as Sichuan peppers (who are berries btw) are used to alleviate dental pain in China. It numbs the mouth, so the sichuanese use it as both flavoring agent (the taste is awesome. Try sichuan pepper ice cream...) and to force the body to get MORE CHILIES. It give the sichuan dishe a little je ne sais quoi that's impossible to replicate with peppers.

Isn't that great?

Originally posted by Vault Vanderhuge View Post
              I hope I can find a chinese store around here.
              For the sichuan pepper? Btw, once you find a good spice supplier, make him your friend. I know one in Montreal, but there's a lot of great ones online in the US.
              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Reminds me of the Simpsons...

Smithers: Sir? Can we order Chinese?

C.M. Burns: No... those people are all gristle.

Comment

• Here's a handy recipe to have...

It's easy and far better than anything in a jar.

Basic Homemade Mayonnaise

INGREDIENTS:
                  3 egg yolks
                  1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
                  1/2 teaspoon salt
                  1/4 cup lemon juice
                  1 cup olive oil
                  1 cup canola oil

DIRECTIONS:
                  1. Place the egg yolks, mustard, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Process for 10 seconds.
                  2. With motor running, add the oil, drop by drop at first. After a few tablespoons have been added, start adding oil in a thin stream. Continue until all the oil is added and the mayonnaise has thickened. Taste for seasoning, and add a little additional salt or lemon juice if desired.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                    Here's a handy recipe to have...

It's easy and far better than anything in a jar.

Basic Homemade Mayonnaise

INGREDIENTS:
                    3 egg yolks
                    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
                    1/2 teaspoon salt
                    1/4 cup lemon juice
                    1 cup olive oil
                    1 cup canola oil

DIRECTIONS:
                    1. Place the egg yolks, mustard, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Process for 10 seconds.
                    2. With motor running, add the oil, drop by drop at first. After a few tablespoons have been added, start adding oil in a thin stream. Continue until all the oil is added and the mayonnaise has thickened. Taste for seasoning, and add a little additional salt or lemon juice if desired.
                    I actually went ahead and wrote this one down in my treasured recipe book. That's faith brotha!

Comment

• I've actually been going the Latin route with my mayo lately, and using lime juice instead of lemon. I actually prefer it, but choose your own adventure.

Anyway... tonight is a simple roast chicken with a fuckton of rosemary and this.

Gratin Dauphinois

INGREDIENTS:
                      1 quart milk
                      3 large garlic cloves, smashed
                      salt and pepper to taste
                      freshly grated nutmeg to taste
                      8 medium potatoes
                      unsalted butter for buttering the gratin dish
                      1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
                      1 1/2 pints heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:
                      1. Place the milk and garlic in a large, heavy saucepan. Season with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 450°F.

3. Peel the potatoes, and slice thinly on a mandoline or plastic vegetable slicer. Place potato slices in hot simmering milk, and cook very gently for 10 minutes or so, or just until the potatoes begin to soften.

4. Immediately drain the potatoes in a colander. Butter an oval gratin dish that measures about 12 inch x 10 inch. Place half the potato slices in the dish, neatly arranged, making sure to sprinkle every single layer of potatoes with a little salt, pepper, and nutmeg. When half the potatoes are placed, cover with half of the grated cheese. Place the second half of the potato slices, again seasoning with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Top with the remaining half of the cheese, evenly spread out. Pour the cream over and around the potatoes.

5. Cover the gratin loosely (with a lid or with aluminum foil). Place in the oven, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the cream has cooked away. Remove the lid, and place the gratin briefly under the broiler until it's brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.

6. Nom.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                        I've actually been going the Latin route with my mayo lately, and using lime juice instead of lemon. I actually prefer it, but choose your own adventure.

Anyway... tonight is a simple roast chicken with a fuckton of rosemary and this.

Gratin Dauphinois

INGREDIENTS:
                        1 quart milk
                        3 large garlic cloves, smashed
                        salt and pepper to taste
                        freshly grated nutmeg to taste
                        8 medium potatoes
                        unsalted butter for buttering the gratin dish
                        1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
                        1 1/2 pints heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:
                        1. Place the milk and garlic in a large, heavy saucepan. Season with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 450°F.

3. Peel the potatoes, and slice thinly on a mandoline or plastic vegetable slicer. Place potato slices in hot simmering milk, and cook very gently for 10 minutes or so, or just until the potatoes begin to soften.

4. Immediately drain the potatoes in a colander. Butter an oval gratin dish that measures about 12 inch x 10 inch. Place half the potato slices in the dish, neatly arranged, making sure to sprinkle every single layer of potatoes with a little salt, pepper, and nutmeg. When half the potatoes are placed, cover with half of the grated cheese. Place the second half of the potato slices, again seasoning with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Top with the remaining half of the cheese, evenly spread out. Pour the cream over and around the potatoes.

5. Cover the gratin loosely (with a lid or with aluminum foil). Place in the oven, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the cream has cooked away. Remove the lid, and place the gratin briefly under the broiler until it's brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.

6. Nom.
                        This sounds fucking amazing. I think I'm going to make some tonight, but about half that amount. Got potato cravings like a motherfucker. Maybe I'm pregnant.
                        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~

Comment

• [Insert way too obvious joke about Jake being Irish here]
                          I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Those potatoes sounds gooooood. I will try it sometime soon.

Here is something simple that can go with them:

Parmesan Pork Tenderloin

1 lb lean pork tenderloin - cut into about 8 sections 1/2' thick- I actually flatten a little bit more with heel of my hand
                            3T seasoned bread crumbs
                            1T grated parmesan cheese
                            1t salt
                            1/8 t pepper
                            2T olive oil
                            1 small onion sliced in rings
                            1 clove garlic minced

Combine crumbs, cheese, salt, and pepper. Dredge pork slices to coat. Heat oil in skillet over med-low heat. Add pork and distribute onions and garlic around meat. Cook 5 min. Turn and cook 5 min more.

Comment

• That sounds pretty great. Love pork tenderloin.

~

Comment

• Since we're doing Latin... this is Cuban, and very fucking win-filled!

Sesos Fritos

INGREDIENTS:
                                1 pair calf's brains (about 3/4 pound)
                                3 tablespoons lime juice plus lime wedges for garnish
                                1 teaspoon salt
                                2 teaspoons ground cumin
                                1/2 cup flour
                                1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
                                1 cup fine bread crumbs or cracker meal
                                1 quart vegetable oil for deep-frying
                                coarse salt for sprinkling the brains

DIRECTIONS:
                                1. Soak the brains in cold water to cover for about 2 hours. Remove brains from water, and pull off as much of the delicate filament that surrounds them as you can.

2. Place brains in a small saucepan and cover with water (about 1 cup). Add the 3 tablespoons of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer, then simmer very gently for 15 minutes. Remove brains from water and let cool.

3. When brains are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-size pieces (each roughly 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch). Toss them with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the ground cumin.

4. Place the flour in a bowl and slowly add the 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water to it, making a medium-thick slurry. Dip the brains in the slurry, coating the pieces well, then roll the brains in the bread crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.

5. Heat the oil in a wok, deep-fryer, or large pot until it reaches 365 degrees. Drop the brains into the oil in 2 batches. Cook each batch until the pieces are very crisp and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with coarse salt, and serve immediately with the lime wedges. Pass hot sauce, if desired.

Comment

Working...
                                X