X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG EVERYONE PANIC! BLU-RAY TO DIE BY 2012

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/...by-2012-464705

1. HD movie downloads
    OK so the picture quality's not quite there yet, but Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and others have already seen the future of movie viewing at home – and it doesn't come on shiny 12cm discs.
    Instead services like iTunes, Xbox Live and Vudu already offer HD movies over the internet, enabling you to see the movies you want without having to hack down to the video store in the pouring rain.
    With fibre-to-home broadband slowly being rolled out in the UK, who
    knows what the next few years will bring.

2.BD-Live
    Have you seen the demos? BD-Live is a joke. It's a second-rate attempt to offer interactive features that HD DVD did first and much, much better.
    It won't work on old Blu-ray players (they don't have the persistent storage) and may not work on new ones: it's not mandatory for Blu-ray player makers to include it in the hardware they sell.
    Result? Large doses of confusion and frustration for anyone (un)lucky enough to buy a Blu-ray disc with BD-Live features on it.

3. Samsung thinks Blu-ray is finished
    You know, the world's number one consumer electronics maker, Blu-ray stalwart.
    Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK, told Pocket Lint that Blu-ray would be dead in five years, and that it certainly wouldn't last 10.
    He believes the format will be replaced by either a new kind of physical media – most likely flash memory cards if Toshiba's IFA 2008 keynote is anything to go by – or downloads. Go figure.

4. Sony thinks Blu-ray is finished

Blu-ray is not only finished in terms of spec, but it's also finished as a format. Optical disc technology has gone as far as it can go.
    Or so says Take Miyama, Sony product manager for home video marketing in Europe. He told Electric Pig that "in the future, if [our emphasis] we have a physical media format, it will change physically. It won't look like an optical disc."
    Talk of a 500GB Blu-ray prototype will only prolong the agony.
    Sony has already hinted at its future direction with the launch of Bravia TVs in the US that can directly receive movies streamed over the internet. Blu-ray player not required.

5. DVD is good enough
    Despite the fact that Blu-ray movies are expected to hit 12 million sales in Europe this year, they still account for just two per cent of video sales in countries like the UK.
    Even by 2012 DVD will still have the edge – and that's according to the Blu-ray Disc Association's own over-enthusiastic predictions [PDF link].
    The plain fact is that few of us are ever likely to swap extensive DVD collections for their Blu-ray equivalents, especially when prices for Blu-ray movies and players are still so high.
    Given that many cheap DVD players now have some kind of upscaling capability, DVD will prove 'good enough' in terms of picture quality for many years to come.
    HAha. Thank god my Blu-Ray player can also play games.....
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

And DVD is still good? Fuck that. Not once you have seen a movie completely remastered in HD, I can't go back. And HD movie downloads? Hooray....with my new cap on my bandwidth, that will not work. And I like to own my movies.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

can i get a "i fucking told you so?"
      The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Wait, you think it's gonna die as well? And people will do HD downloads?

Comment

I have always thought, someday in the future, physical disks will die off. But I never saw that future coming anytime soon. I love my blus!
          Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
          John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Until I go all Johnny Mnenomic, I'll stick with my discs.

Comment

Do I buy? Don't I buy? so fucking confusing...whatever, let the digi downloads begin.
              Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

I still want to buy...but I'm open to having an all digital collection.

Comment

I don't see a problem with buying discs on blu right now. It's not like they're going to melt in 5 years.
                  Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                  John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

And I'm sure there will be some process of uploading the discs to your new storage device.
                    "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterLaBeef View Post
                        And I'm sure there will be some process of uploading the discs to your new storage device.
                        ... you mean like burn blu-ray discs onto a hard drive?
                        The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Space is an issue. I don't give a shit that terrabyte drives are getting cheaper. HD downloads, while great in theory, have a long ways to go still.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                            ... you mean like burn blu-ray discs onto a hard drive?
                            Yes, another 5-10 years from now
                            "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

You can do that now. It's just that the blu-ray burners and discs are still a tad too expensive. Plus once again, space is an issue, unless you have a dedicated drive specifically for movies/shows/etc

Comment

Working...
                              X