WHHYYYYYYYYYYYY AKA The official "My computer is broke" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHHYYYYYYYYYYYY AKA The official "My computer is broke" thread

SO. My computer keeps freezing at the login screen. And that's only 1 out of 10 times I try to reboot. My computer is broke, also I think my external hard drive got slammed. I think the Chud Virus hit me late. I'll be blaming them regardless of what caused it anyway. I hope I don't have to rebuild. That would = teh not kewl.

Feel free to share your broken CPU stories here. Or just point at me and laugh as I now have to use my iphone and work CPU for my interwebs activities.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Can you boot it in safe mode?
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Can you boot it in safe mode?
      It freezes once the safe mode begins to boot too.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

360, now this? You should stop buying electronics.
        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
        *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          360, now this? You should stop buying electronics.
          Well in my defense these are the only two things electronic that have broken down. Plus it's not like 360's are known for stability. My CPU is like five years old and this is the first time it's crapped like this. Just not sure what to do. I could rebuild but that's not cheap, repairing it is a crapshoot as I don't have a clue whats wrong and I'm not aware of any "reputable" computer repair men.

Also I built this CPU and it's been fine till now and this problem is so randomly out there that I'm not sure if it can be fixed.

Comment

to be honest, you may need to take your HD out and get it virus scanned and test it with another computer.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

to be honest, you may need to take your HD out and get it virus scanned and test it with another computer.
              That's what I was afraid off. Alright, well thanks for the input. Hopefully I didn't lose all my stuff.

Comment

Really, it's gonna be a "test every piece until you figure it out" problem. But make sure you virus scan it if you hook it up to a new machine. Check out Bitdefender. There is a free trial that works pretty well ( I have all of my machines on that program, catches everything so far)

Comment

Really, it's gonna be a "test every piece until you figure it out" problem. But make sure you virus scan it if you hook it up to a new machine. Check out Bitdefender. There is a free trial that works pretty well ( I have all of my machines on that program, catches everything so far)
                  Will do. Brother in law had a few ideas but I'm not sure on them. He thinks the computer is trying to boot the wrong drive or the boot log or someshit was corrupted. I think I'll try your idea first though.

Comment

Well if you get to the XP login screen, then it's booting. But check your BIOS for any irregularities.

Comment

Well if you get to the XP login screen, then it's booting. But check your BIOS for any irregularities.
                      That's what I thought on the booting as it gets to the screen where you select user and freezes. If I can get it to boot again I'll check bios. I'll post on here this evening if anything looks wonky. At this point I'm willing to try anything as I don't want to rebuild but I don't want to get a prison sized corn holing to get it repaired.

Comment

Have you tried turning off and on?
                        The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                          Have you tried turning off and on?
                          Holy crap in a can?!?! Who would have ever thought to do that? /sarcasm

Only about 600 times nerdious. It will attempt to boot about 1/8th of the time and the rest it freezes at the user select screen.

Comment

Originally posted by B_MetalSucks View Post
                            Holy crap in a can?!?! Who would have ever thought to do that? /sarcasm

Only about 600 times nerdious. It will attempt to boot about 1/8th of the time and the rest it freezes at the user select screen.
                            Apparently, somebody here does not watch The IT Crowd.
                            The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                              Apparently, somebody here does not watch The IT Crowd.
                              Guilty. My crappy job sucks up a lot of quality tv time. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X