Your top 5 favorite albums of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
    Weezer's rhapsody in Blue was on there until I couldn't agree with myself on it or Pinkerton for inclusion.

Nice list, Bobby. And a 'Droids shoutout too. OHYEAAAAAHOHYEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
    Thanks, mate! The 'Droids album is far and away the most recent inclusion, but I knew it belonged here because I gave it marathon repeat listens for weeks after I first got it and I still go back fairly regularly.

I'm loving these lists so far, people. Plenty of choices I support (The 'Mats, natch', G 'n' R, Pumpkins) Spotify shall be consulted for those I'm unfamiliar with.

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
    When they go back into the last "Bulls on Parade" at the end I get goose bumps everytime.
    That is a tremendously heavy moment! Totally understand.

Originally posted by Chris Miller View Post
    I've decided that "What Went Wrong with Weezer" is most definitely the departure of Matt Sharp.
    I always thought he was great... and a suave gentleman for wearing that Barcelona top in the "El Scorcho" video, too.
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

wtf? I thought I added my list last night. It no here.

Comment

New Order - Substance
        Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
        Daft Punk - Discovery
        Röyksopp - Melody A.M.
        MSTRKRFT - The Looks

Comment

Even making a top 10 is tough...

1- The Tea Party - The Edges of Twilight
          The album that influenced me the most. It's a shame that the band never got big in the US (too early?), but that album defined my teenage years and the early 20's.

2- The National - Boxer
          If the The Tea Party are my 20's, The National are my 30s. Easily the best rock band you barely heard of, these guys are superior musicians and outstanding performers. So far, their 3 last albums are classics and always on top 10 of nearly every critics, but Boxer takes the cake for me as that album that's perfect to listen to on an evening, with a glass of scotch in my hand.

3- Dead Can Dance - Toward The Within
          Sort of a best of, it's a live album from one of the most influencial band of the 80's-90's. I always listen to DCD, or the solo albums of Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard (aka the best female vocalist ever).

4- VNV Nation- Empire
          That one band that managed to infuse dancable music with deep lyrics. Still lvoe these guys, able to turn an electronic show that should technically be live karaoke into an event.

5- Sigur Ros - Takk
          Kinda similar to DCD, Sigur Ros is able to move me while singing into a non-existence language (no, it's not Icelandic!). Orchestral, Takk is post-rock at it's best. Hoppipola is hope personified (see: the Children of Men trailer)

6- Radiohead - Kid A
          7- Mumford and Sons- Sigh No More
          8- New Order - Substance
          9- Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
          10- Iron Maiden - The Number of The Beast
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

it wouldn't be a MARTIN LIST without the Tea Party. No complaints from me of course...I love that album.

And HELL YES on the Iron Maiden love. It's a toss up between 'The Number of the Beast' and 'Piece of Mind', but I give the edge to Number.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            Originally posted by Martin
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

For me Number is the best metal album ever. More so than Metallica's Master of Puppets, by a small margin.

And yeah Matt, me and TTP is like you and Rush, but The National might be my number one over time. Pure bliss.. And Mumford's stock might also rise over time.
              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

I remember seeing the Pumpkins live. They blew out the sound system on the intro to "Bullet With Butterfly Wings". When things got reset they restarted and played it the exact same. At the time I really enjoyed myself but looking back I realize it really wasn't a very good concert. But Fountains of Wayne opened (it was when their first album hit, on D'arcy and James' label) and they were really entertaining.

Here's my pedestrian list, which would mostly be completely different if you asked me on another day, kind of like a "favorite movies" list-

1. Before These Crowded Streets- Dave Matthews Band. No surprise. "Under the Table..." probably got more play back from me back in the day but I have to skip a coupls songs on that one these days. BTCS was crafted as a continuous suite with interludes connecting the songs and it still stands up, even if the opener has been overplayed to. death. live.

2. Earthling- David Bowie. Swap out "Seven Years in Tibet" for "Law" and I completely agree with Rob.

3. Animals- Pink Floyd. Really, this could just be a disc with only "Dogs" and I'd still put it here. Spent many an hour listening to this album instead of my History of US Politics professor in college.

4. Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy- The Refreshments. So much more than the "Jean-Luc Picard" song. It sucks that addiction ripped the band apart after only two albums. Roger CLyne and the Peacemakers are alright but it's not the same.

5. Rubber Soul- The Beatles. Probably too easy to list a Beatles record but I love the hell out of this one. Discovered it years after Sgt. Pepper and was like "man, what".

Comment

Working...
                X