Kick-Ass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
    I think that's why it works so much for the Red Mist character. You just don't expect it. Unless you've read the comic, that is.
    And the movie is MILES BETTER THAN THE COMIC. The comic is a big piece of shit.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
      I could sense a real stall there as well, but the lull was justifiable in setting up the payoffs in the last act.

True, but I was looking at my watch ALOT there for awhile. I never fucking do that.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
        I could sense a real stall there as well, but the lull was justifiable in setting up the payoffs in the last act.
        Concur'd. And the 2nd act wasn't THAT slow. The movie moved fast for me.
        The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guy Meatdrapes View Post
          True, but I was looking at my watch ALOT there for awhile. I never fucking do that.
          Perhaps we hyped it up a little too much for you?
          The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• I blame Oprah.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Maybe, I dunno. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't like HOLY FUCK THAT WAS THE BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER. Spiderman 2 still takes that award.

Comment

Also, his teacher was fucking hot.

Yea, verily, I am hot for teacher.

Loved the film - and i pretty much agree with everyone's comments: not the greatest superhero movie, but it's a contender. Nicely shot, great pacing (couple of lulls here and there, but still good). Soundtrack kicked, well, ass, so I'll hunt that puppy down soon.

As to the acting, I felt everyone did a great job. Johnson's been rumored as a possible Peter Parker, and I'm confident he could pull it off thanks to his performance as Dave. Nic Cage looked like he was having a blast channeling Adam West. McLovin's marble mouth wasn't too distracted (diction, son diction!), and of course there's Hit-Girl.

I hope Chloe's ready for all the interest in her that's coming. I've read a couple of interviews with her, and she seems like she's got her head on straight, and I honestly hope she stays that way. She seems to have a good career ahead of her. That being said, yep, I'm expecting to see a metric ton of Hit-Girls come Halloween (though I fear the adult versions of this costume), as well as stories of little girls smacking the ever lovin' shit out of little boys in the schoolyards, from this point on.

Comment

• Holy fuck this fucking movie fuck
                  "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                  *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Saw it last night. They had me all the way up until the jetpack. Even the ridiculous concept of a little girl murdering people seemed sort of normal and didn't break me out of the film up until that point. But that took me right out of the film, as nit-picky as that sounds.

The comic is no great work of art, but a few of the story decisions for the movie disappointed me in comparison to what I read. That they reveal Red Mist to be the mobster's son right away bugged me. Mind you, one of the funniest parts of the movie for me happened because of that story choice (i.e. the bit where Dave goes up to make friends with the mobster's son and the bodyguard just says "Fuck Off"). As did the exclusion of of Dave doing some really heroic stuff. In the comic, he and Red Mist run into a burning building to save people, but Dave goes first and sort of shows Red Mist what it can mean to be a real hero.

However, having said all that, they really did manage to improve on the comic by 300%. Cases in point:

- giving the friends much more to do and fleshing out their role in the story
                    - making a believable romance out of Dave and the girl he helps out (in the comic, she basically rejects him after revealing who he is and beats the crap out of him)
                    - tightening up the story with regards to Big Daddy and his motivations - it made it much more believable than the reason given in the book
                    - showing the relationship between Red Mist and his dad - indeed, much of the characterization throughout the film was solid and felt really natural
                    - the excellent comedy writing - the henchmen in the film were fucking stellar, even when they were getting offed!

I went with a friend who doesn't go to movie websites or read spoilers, and the scene near the beginning where Hit Girl wastes the room filled with henchmen had him on the floor laughing. The shock factor completely sold him on the movie. It made me regret reading the comic or watching any of the trailers, actually. I am starting to rethink exposing myself to information overload on films in general, as I want that experience again.

It was a good movie. I am VERY curious to see what direction they would take a sequel. Especially when they mention at the end that there are tons of people that were inspired by Kick Ass and the reveal of Red Mist becoming a villain (to be fair, they haven't gotten that far in the comic yet - the last issue I read basically ends sort of the same as the movie where Hit Girl is going to school and Dave is contemplating his next move. No jet packs though :P )
                    <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

- making a believable romance out of Dave and the girl he helps out (in the comic, she basically rejects him after revealing who he is and beats the crap out of him)

lulz. You thought that was believable? That was one of the most UNbelievable parts of the movie in my eyes. There is no way she'd be all like "OMG I CANT BELIEVE I THOUGHT YOU WERE GAY AND WE HAD SLEEP OVERS AND SELF TANNING BUT YOU'RE NOT GAY SO LET ME NOT BE UPSET YOU LIED TO ME FOR WEEKS BUT INSTEAD I WILL FUCK YOUR BRAINS OUT".

Comment

• You've never had a girl spend every afternoon with you in a comic store and then fuck you in the back next to the dumpster, Rob?

Comment

• Not after I lied to her about being gay for weeks. I only got a pity handie.

Comment

lulz. You thought that was believable? That was one of the most UNbelievable parts of the movie in my eyes. There is no way she'd be all like "OMG I CANT BELIEVE I THOUGHT YOU WERE GAY AND WE HAD SLEEP OVERS AND SELF TANNING BUT YOU'RE NOT GAY SO LET ME NOT BE UPSET YOU LIED TO ME FOR WEEKS BUT INSTEAD I WILL FUCK YOUR BRAINS OUT".
                            Well, she did drop the line where she wished he wasn't gay early on in their "relationship", so you have that arc where she sees him in a new light, they get to know each other, and something changes that leads to them being together. Not the most original, but certainly not Padme/Anakin level badness.
                            <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• I liked the relationship, because of what Mike said. She dropped the "omg I want you" line pretty early. And she was smoking hot. She could have been a mute and I would have enjoyed all their scenes.

Comment

• Padme/Anakin were more believable in my opinion. Hotness has nothing to do with it. And the "I wish you weren't gay" line rang hollow to me. But whatever, we already know I'm not a fan of this flick.

Comment

Working...
                                X