Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spider Project

Summer goal, perhaps longer.

I plan on writing an abstract history of Spider-Man in a series of essays. I've had some success this weekend by out-reaching to people about whose death mattered more Gwen Stacy or Uncle Ben.

Now, I keep seeing that springboarding into more and more things. The overall angle being that Spider-Man is an asshole. But, why is he an asshole?

Thoughts?
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

I'll read it.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Seconded.
      Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
      Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
      POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

I'm using the GUY thing to test it, if it works for me...I'll branch out. Especially since my rough draft of the completed Interpolation has died on me.

It reads like a textbook written by Phil Spector's left nut.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

If by asshole you mean that Spidey represents modern man, then yes. A character that wants everything handed to him. When it comes to success it's because it fell into his lap, not because he worked for it. Spidey=Nick.
          We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
          - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
            If by asshole you mean that Spidey represents modern man, then yes. A character that wants everything handed to him. When it comes to success it's because it fell into his lap, not because he worked for it. Spidey=Nick.

Read into it what you will. I'm just really fascinated by Spider-Man.

Comment

The last statement was a throwaway comment, the rest was in earnest.
              We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

I mean, look at Parker's professional life. Hardly inspiring. Potential wasted.

Comment

I don't think Spidey represents Modern Man. The asshole nature of Spidey is in a lot of the supporting cast. Especially MJ. She's kind of a bitch.

Comment

Do you have anything up at Guy about this yet? I'll be interested in the direction you take your thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                      Do you have anything up at Guy about this yet? I'll be interested in the direction you take your thinking.

I've got 1700 words that started out as an examination of Pete's sex life. Now, it's about how much he fucked over MJ and Gwen.

Comment

Finished the rought draft. 3200 Words. It got away from me, but I don't really want to fuck with it.

I'm more interested in doing freestyle pieces and then tweaking them as I expand. Multiple drafts are bullshit.

Comment

I'd posted something for this on FB the other day re: which death had greater meaning to Spidey, Uncle Ben's or Gwen's. As this is my favorite superhero, I'd love to read the article and comment on it when it comes out, Troy! You always deliver, so I await this with bated breath. Make sure we get links!

Re: some of the posts in this here thread, I'm holding back my opinion at the moment as I really want to read Troy's piece before jumping in.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                            I'd posted something for this on FB the other day re: which death had greater meaning to Spidey, Uncle Ben's or Gwen's. As this is my favorite superhero, I'd love to read the article and comment on it when it comes out, Troy! You always deliver, so I await this with bated breath. Make sure we get links!

Re: some of the posts in this here thread, I'm holding back my opinion at the moment as I really want to read Troy's piece before jumping in.

If it works, I have something about Uncle Ben. Basically, I want to take part Spider-Man and examine how truly fucked the character is. Lee/Ditko created a very warped personality, gave it a "loaded gun" and told it to go out and police the city/world.

Comment

Cool - chomping at the bit to read it and throw my two cents in, especially on the MJ/Gwen stuff and Parker's personality issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X