Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
    checked out the new Muppet movie. It was ok. Could have used more muppets. It wasn't zany enough for me. I still like the original more. The people on FB that said they cried during the movie need to be dickpunched.
    Nostalgia is a funny thing. You fucking scrooge.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Ides of March

I get why its reception was only lukewarm, but there's nothing wrong with this film, per se (though I'm still not sold on Evan Rachel Wood). Its a consistently interesting and intelligent peak behind the curtain at the personal games that fuel national decision makers. The cast is great across the board, with Gosling coming across as a mix between Robert Redford and Clint Eastwood, bizarrely. Its unflashy, yet still stylish and totally worth a watch.

The Guard

More Hot Fuzz meets Father Ted than In Bruges, this is also a perfectly solid film, occasionally hamstrung by looking a bit cheap. Gleeson is on fire, though and his scenes with Don Cheadle are often hilarious. Its great to see Liam Cunningham and Mark Strong given something fun to do and they're both clearly relishing some of the ridiculous dialogue. I don't think John Micheal McDonagh has the chops of Martin McDonagh as a filmmaker, but Gleeson and the occasionally hilarious dialogue make it something potentially worth revisiting. Just a shame that the seams show from time to time, but the money went in the right places.

Fright Night '11

Absolutely ruined by godawful CG. The first 45 minutes are really great fun. A witty script, a vibrant tone and a good cast, with Farrell an absolute standout. Then just as it looks like its gonna kick up a notch - the gas pipe gag - that weightless, ugly car chase scene derails the film and it struggles towards an orgy of turd-like effects for a climax. Such a shame, as there is so much good stuff in here. The script isn't really the problem, its all in the completely uninspired vampire designs, augmented by the worst digital effects this side of some cats attacking a dude in Let the Right One In. Inexplicably, these are frequently combined with some really tasty practical elements - McLovin taking an axe to the neck is pretty groovy and seeing two stunt-guys roll through the air on fire is always impressive - begging the question, 'Why even employ the digital elements?'. The answer is 3D. Removed from that milieu, the film looks plain ugly at times, scuppering a really enjoyable genre effort.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Echoing the Ides of March warmth. I enjoyed that one far more than I thought I would. Gosling is pretty damned good in it. And Giamatti is Giamatti of course.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
          Nostalgia is a funny thing. You fucking scrooge.

Settle. I didn't hate it, but it also felt Muppet light. I also wasn't a huge fan of the songs which was a sham as I dig on Bret. Man or Muppet was great as was Party of One, but I can't even remember the other ones. I also loved 80's Robot.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
            Settle. I didn't hate it, but it also felt Muppet light. I also wasn't a huge fan of the songs which was a sham as I dig on Bret. Man or Muppet was great as was Party of One, but I can't even remember the other ones. I also loved 80's Robot.
            I'm not taking issue with your enjoyment of the film or lack thereof. I'm taking issue with what you see as a grievous affront perpetrated on your person by facebook ogres who liked it. If you go around spending all of the dickpunch currency on trivial shit, the value of it plummets. Let the ogres like what they like.
            Last edited by Captain Russ; 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Nightmare on Elm Street remake is on HBO. This is terribad.

Comment

• Fuck that piece of shit. Makes me angry thinking about it.

Matrix Reloaded: Haven't watched this in years. Did not hate it this time around. Actually really dug it, alot. Still have issues with the burly Brawl and the saving of Trinity but otherwise this flick is almost up to par with the original.

Disturbing Behavior: fuck to the yes. as russ said, NOSTALGIA BOMB. Pretty effective still after all these years. Bruce Greenwood puts in a fun performance as the crazy Dr. Caldicott and Billy Sadler is great as the retarded but not janitor and I miss this Katie Holmes. RATS OF THE BAY RATS OF THE BAY

Idle Hands: some pretty decent kills in this one (hadn't seen it in years as well) and I miss this Jessica Alba. Plus lulz to the Offspring cameo.
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Mirror Mirror: As awful as the trailers make it look
                  Originally posted by Ari
                  The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
                    Mirror Mirror: As awful as the trailers make it look

It's not awful, it's just very blah. It is every Tarsem movie ever made.

There's cool visuals and some neat ideas, but nothing past that.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• I was holding out hope reviews would mention the following scenario existed in the film, where Nathan Lane's face would distort to resemble a Ralph Steadman painting and eat Julia Robert's face whilst singing "Whistle While You Work."
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Tyrannosaur

Amazing. I want to talk more about this complete work at a later, more sober time. Suffice to say, Considine came out swinging and knocked it out of the park. Olivia Colman was robbed by BAFTA, nay Oscar.

The Debt

Already forgotten it. Not worthy of the semi-hype, though Chastain is unfathomably beautiful here. Csokas: awesome, underused; Worthington: I'm done with him, if this is the best he's got.

Crazy, Stupid Love

As good as these types of film get. Carell is the best he's ever been, Moore and Stone are as good as you'd expect, if underused, Gosling is some kind of man-God and its a worthy capper to the modern relationship trifecta that is Bad Santa, I Love You, Philip Morris and this. No real gripes, helluva solid romcom.

Easy A

Really smart and witty and the definitive proof that Emma Stone really is the goods. She nails every moment, even when the film slips somewhat beneath her. Given how much it openly sought to point out and flip cliche, its a shame it slid into unforgivable territory with the arrival of Franco-lite as the buff, understanding, awesome dude that does everything right. Tucci is a legend.

TT: Closer to the Edge

Entertaining enough, but not a pimple on Senna's perfect ass. Too obviously directed and oddly unbalanced.

Red State

Good enough that Smith has re-earned another film's worth of faith from me (I was done with him completely years ago). Still an unsatisfying experience overall and 20 minutes from the end, I really thought Smith was about to take it over the edge into awesomeness -
                          Spoiler: final third spoilers 
                        when the horns started to blow, I honestly thought Smith was going to have Parks' crew be the 'winners' and that God was about to smite the ATF for their sins, saving the loonies - I couldn't think of a scarier concept to end the film on than the crazies being the righteous ones.

Alas, it went a different direction and, while the film didn't blow me away, I'll allow that the very final moment of the film is actually pretty fucking perfect and, in hindsight, hilarious. Smith's talk at Sundance about the making of the film in the current state of the industry is really interesting, however.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          Red State

Good enough that Smith has re-earned another film's worth of faith from me (I was done with him completely years ago). Still an unsatisfying experience overall and 20 minutes from the end, I really thought Smith was about to take it over the edge into awesomeness -
                            Spoiler: final third spoilers 
                          when the horns started to blow, I honestly thought Smith was going to have Parks' crew be the 'winners' and that God was about to smite the ATF for their sins, saving the loonies - I couldn't think of a scarier concept to end the film on than the crazies being the righteous ones.

Alas, it went a different direction and, while the film didn't blow me away, I'll allow that the very final moment of the film is actually pretty fucking perfect and, in hindsight, hilarious. Smith's talk at Sundance about the making of the film in the current state of the industry is really interesting, however.

yep. I agree with spoiled part. I still enjoyed Parks' work.

Comment

• He actually made a TEN MINUTE speech arguably the most interesting part of the film. Yep, Parks was great in this.

I really hate Angarano, though. He was a large part of my disdain for Haywire and the best thing he's done is Sky High. Him and the overacting punk that got cling-filmed to the cross really had me rooting for Parks' lot.

Comment

• Man, I haven't thought about this flick since I first saw it. Now I wish he would have the ending that we wanted. Would have been SOOOOO GOOOOOOD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                                I really hate Angarano, though. He was a large part of my disdain for Haywire and the best thing he's done is Sky High. Him and the overacting punk that got cling-filmed to the cross really had me rooting for Parks' lot.
                                He was pretty good in Lords of Dogtown from what I recall.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X