Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Comics and Literature

Comics and Literature We're not the hugest comic nerds out there, but we have been known to read an issue of "Spider-Ham" from time to time.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Anderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
Recommend me some Marvel stuff as I have signed up for Marvel Unlimited. I haven't read much Marvel in a while. Last Marvel stuff I remember reading are Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon and Ellis's Astonishing X-Men.

Marvel You Should Read (just the last 15 years)

Marvel Boy 1-6
F4 1-16
Hawkeye (the entire Matt Fraction run)
Iron Fist (the entire Fraction/Brubaker/Aja run)
Captain Britain and MI-13
Wolverine and the X-Men (the entire Jason Aaron run)
All of the Star Wars books minus the Princess Leia mini
Ms. Marvel (the entire Wilson run)
Amazing Spider-Man (every single issue that Dan Slott put his name on)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man (the entire run)
X-Statix
Silver Surfer (entire Slott/Allred run)
Mighty Avengers (entire Slott run)
Black Panther (first 2 years of Christopher Priest run)
The Punisher (Welcome Back Frank)
Alias (the entire run)
Runaways (every BKV issue)
She Hulk (2004-2005)
Dr. Strange: The Oath
NEXTWAVE: Agents of H.A.T.E.
Annihilation
Guardians of the Galaxy (Abnett/Lanning run)
Planet Hulk
World War Hulk
Old Man Logan
Ghost Rider (#20 to #35 + Ghost Rider: Heavenís on Fire #1 to #6)
Venom (1-22)
Daredevil (1-36, hell everything Waid has done on the book)
Thor: God of Thunder 1-25

That should last you for awhile.

Click here to visit AndersonVision!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 PM
The red capes are coming

Fil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy Barty

Nice, thank you.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Anderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
Nice, thank you.

No problem. I can do more based on era.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Shut up, crime!

gravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandas

Looking at that list made me realize Infinity Gauntlet was, like, 25 years ago. Man.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:54 PM
is ready for turkey

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

Yeah, shit. I need to step up my comics game.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:35 PM
The red capes are coming

Fil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy Barty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
No problem. I can do more based on era.
Any great, or must read stories/runs from any era is appreciated. I mostly read DC/Vertigo and the occasional indie, so my Marvel reading has been sparse over the years.

Wish DC had a service like Marvel's. Some old DC runs I'd like to read.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Marvel by Era

Golden

You can skip this era by and large due to the fact that most of it isn't on Marvel Unlimited. If it is, check out a few of the Marvel Mystery Comics.
Silver

Fantastic Four 1-60 and the First Five Annuals (the greatest work that Kirby and Lee ever did together)
Amazing Fantasy #15
Amazing Spider-Man #1-38
Amazing Spider-Man #39-71
Strange Tales #155-168, Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1-5
Amazing Spider-Man #121-122
The Avengers #4
The Avengers #16
The Ultron Saga (don't have issue numbers on me, but all Avengers)
The Kree Skrull War
Captain America (the Steranko issues)

Bronze

The Warlock Saga (should all be bundled together, I can hunt down individual issues later)
Howard the Duck #1-27
Avengers: The Korvac Saga
Giant-Size X-Men #1
X-Men #94-101
Uncanny X-Men #129-137
Uncanny X-Men #141-142
Daredevil #168-191
Fantastic Four #232-293
Alpha Flight #1-28
The Mighty Thor #337-382
Uncanny X-Men #162-213
X-Factor #9-11
New Mutants #18-30 and #46-64
Power Pack #27
Avengers #227-288
Amazing Spider-Man #224-252
Iron Man #116-157
Daredevil #227-233
Dr. Strange #60-62
Captain America #247-255
Dr. Strange and Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment

1990s

Marvels
Skrull Kill Krew #1-5
Incredible Hulk #375-467
Deadpool #1-33
X-Factor #71-87

Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Shut up, crime!

gravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandas

Was X-Factor 87 the therapist issue? That was a good one.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:00 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
Was X-Factor 87 the therapist issue? That was a good one.

That was where X-Factor peaked and 22 years later, it has yet to recover.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 PM
I'll See You in 25 Years

BMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurts

I love me some Morrison, but you can probably skip Marvel Boy.

Twitter.com/bmkrol
Old 07-21-2015, 03:18 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMichaelKrol View Post

I wouldn't. Not for a Marvel specific focus. Aaron built on a lot of the ideas setup there and fleshed them out. Hell, giant chunks of Marvel Boy informed Original Sin.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:19 PM
I'll See You in 25 Years

BMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurts

Yeah, you're probably right. It just didn't grab me at all. It was sort of a let down after the Invisibles.

Twitter.com/bmkrol
Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right. It just didn't grab me at all. It was sort of a let down after the Invisibles.

Morrison always seemed to gel way more with his own stuff and DC.

He got close with X-Men, but it had 2 strikes going against it.

1) It was essentially nothing more than a modern homage to the Claremont/Byrne run.

2) Jemas and Quesada fucked with him from the fourth issue until he left.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:26 PM
I'll See You in 25 Years

Which is a shame, since I think X-men 127, the Xorn one, is one of the best X-Men comics ever written.

Twitter.com/bmkrol
Old 07-21-2015, 06:02 PM
The red capes are coming

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
I wouldn't. Not for a Marvel specific focus. Aaron built on a lot of the ideas setup there and fleshed them out. Hell, giant chunks of Marvel Boy informed Original Sin.
I was probably going to read Marvel Boy anyway, just to be a Morrison completist along with Skrull Kill Krew and that Fantastic Four mini. I'll lower my expectations.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This will keep me occupied for a while.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:14 PM
I'll See You in 25 Years

Morrison needs to do more with Marvel characters. He's probably too weird for Disney now, which is a real shame.

Twitter.com/bmkrol
Old 07-21-2015, 09:17 PM
The red capes are coming

Quote:
Morrison needs to do more with Marvel characters. He's probably too weird for Disney now, which is a real shame.
Yeah, although I was surprised, but happy, to hear he had some more DC stuff coming. I thought I had read that he was done with DC, at least for a while, after Multiversity, then they announce all these books. Heavy Metal should be interesting as well.