Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Comics and Literature

Comics and Literature We're not the hugest comic nerds out there, but we have been known to read an issue of "Spider-Ham" from time to time.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey
Default Give me TPB suggestions.

Not to clog up Anderson's other thread, this is a thread for you comic nerds to suggest great runs for us that don't keep up on the single issues. I've been jonsing for some good superhero trades lately that are newer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Shut up, crime!

gravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandas

It's been a long time since I've read a superhero book but what about superhero-tangential? Everyone should read the Gotham Central trades because they are great. An interesting look at how police have to deal with working in a city with superheroes.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 AM
I'll See You in 25 Years

BMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurts

There's a Walt Simonson Thor omnibus I've been enjoying the hell out of...not new, but definitely worth your time.

Twitter.com/bmkrol
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

Mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm curious about Invincible from Image. Since there's love for Kirkman's Walking Dead here on the boards, has anyone read this series he created, and how is it?

And somebody tell me more about Atom Eve!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

boing

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
*RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
RIP Ferg

B_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandas

I feel like that pic might be a trap.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Made Mr. T Cry

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

Invincible is fucking awesome.

Read it.
You have to understand, these are people who work hard for a living. They have tough lives. Structured lives. They work all day, then they have dinner, put their kids to bed, go to sleep, and get back to the set at five o’clock the next morning. Everything else in life except for dreams has rules.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

Thanks, Russ! I've seen the collected editions on eBay (some guy's selling the first 5 for $99.99, and he's throwing in another graphic novel to sweeten the deal), and somebody else is selling the first three for about $20. Pretty cheap - might have to jump on 'em.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

Grab 'em. Walker's art on the first issues are solid, but when Ryan Ottley comes on it just goes into overdrive. The stuff is like candy to me.

Not to mention the writing oscillates between funny and tragic with a truckload of "holy shit" moments to keep you hooked.
You have to understand, these are people who work hard for a living. They have tough lives. Structured lives. They work all day, then they have dinner, put their kids to bed, go to sleep, and get back to the set at five o’clock the next morning. Everything else in life except for dreams has rules.

Last edited by Captain Russ; 12-29-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
is a Ginormous Thing.

And... bought the 5 (including a free 6th graphic novel) for $99.99 plus S&H ($118 and change total). Should arrive next week! Thanks, Russ - looking forward to reading these, and I can get my best friend to buy me vol. 6 and 7, as he owes me a Christmas present!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Awesome grab, Tim! And you too, Jewfro Invincible!

I think you're gonna dig it.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Thanks, Captain! Shakes out to about $20 per book, which ain't bad, all things considered.

And props to the Jewfro Invincible, too!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

Invincible was pretty great (at least the one book I read of it) need to grab the others.

Also, People who haven't read these should:

Blacksad (Russ got me into this)
CHEW
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

The Goon is also fantastic. Eric Powell continues to impress me with his writing chops as well as an artist in the classic EC mould.

Huge watershed moment for the book was the Chinatown story. It took what up until then was a situational sort of book and added a lot of depth to the characters, crafting a mature tale in a very bizarre and often irreverent and hilarious universe.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
getting ready for summer

I've loved what I've read of the Goon so far. I blieve I have the first 3 TPBs. Good stuff.

Any good X-Men books out there that are newer?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Check out Astonishing X-Men if you want the least convoluted and most enjoyable contemporary version of the team.

And you don't need to have much knowledge beforehand to jump in either.

Also, if you want more awesome shit, look into the latest X-Force books. Those are just flat-out the most entertaining of the bunch in my eyes.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Rob.

Read The Luna Brothers' Girls.

It's got the humor of Y: The Last Man and the survival horror of The Walking Dead.

Add in some homicidal naked women and babby, you've got a stew goin'.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM
getting ready for summer

Great minds and all that. We have those already. Not bad.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Well shit. It's awesome, right? Their new one, Whispers, is the goods too.

And if you didn't read my ramblin' in the other comic thread, check out the De-Liefelded Prophet series. Saga too. Solid sci-fi stuff the both of 'em.

Last edited by Captain Russ; 05-18-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM
The red capes are coming

Fil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy BartyFil is almost as cool as Billy Barty

Recommend me some Marvel stuff as I have signed up for Marvel Unlimited. I haven't read much Marvel in a while. Last Marvel stuff I remember reading are Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon and Ellis's Astonishing X-Men.