Questions for the Brits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for the Brits

Running across a bit of British slang in a book I'm reading, I was reminded how there are a few phrases or terms the meaning of which I'm just not sure. So I thought I'd ask the Britons among us if they could enlighten my darkness.

First, what is a "crisp"? Is this what an American would call a potato chip? Is it a cracker? Or something else entirely?

When one says "Half Seven (or whatever time)", does that mean what an American might call "Half Past Seven (i.e. 7:30)", or is it half an hour TO seven (i.e., 6:30), or something else?

I think there was one other term, but I can't remember it at the moment. If I think of it, I'll add it later. Any help will assist me in sleeping better at night. Thanks.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Crisps are potato chips and chips are french fries.

Half Seven, Half Ten, yes these correlate to our 7:30 and 10:30.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

I really wish the term "bird" would fly over here.

thanks to the Streets, I called all women "birds" for a few months. I'm not proud.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I'd rather get the bogan version and call 'em all Sheilas. Makes getting blackout drunk so much easier.

Apologies to our British friends. I blame Austin Powers.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

Had to ask a British friend what 'wotcher' meant. Damn you Harry Potter!

Also this is a pretty good site for these purposes:
          http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/
          Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

Thanks for that, Ingrid. I am going to be an insufferable anglophile and read it all.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

Hate to be a pedant, but what we call chips aren't really French Fries. We have fries too, they're skinny. A proper chip is halfway between a fry and a wedge. Made exactly the same way as a fry, just girthier.
              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

Chips = Steak Fries

And is there any truth to the sterotype that beer is to be served warm?
                "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                  Hate to be a pedant, but what we call chips aren't really French Fries. We have fries too, they're skinny. A proper chip is halfway between a fry and a wedge. Made exactly the same way as a fry, just girthier.
                  I meant fries the size of 1/8th of a potato each. That's what I get for replying without review.

Those things are ridiculous by the way.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                    Chips = Steak Fries

And is there any truth to the sterotype that beer is to be served warm?
                    Not sure that's entirely true.

These are chips (to my understanding)

These are steak fries.

Slight difference.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Odd, this is how I know them as:

Comment

In the classy restaurants I frequent (I do no such thing), they look like what Ed's picture depicts.

Are the upper crust offended by skins? Paper plates too?

Well they won't be getting an invite to my biker rally.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

Ahh, well if I ordered steak fries at a steak place and got that I'd be like WHAAAAAAAAAAAA??? Those are just fat french fries.
                          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

That's what Fatburger calls them: Fat Fries

Shoestring fries: Skinny Fries

Comment

Fatburger: doinitrite.

Comment

Working...
                              X